This Malibu chicken recipe is a classic copycat recipe from the popular restaurant chain, Sizzler. It’s made with a crispy chicken breast that is topped with sliced ham, Swiss cheese and is served with a delicious dipping sauce. This delicious copycat recipe is a family favorite and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends as well.
If you love the Sizzler’s classic Malibu Chicken, then you’re in for a treat. This copycat version is just as good – if not better – and you don’t have to go out to have it! I’ve been a big fan of Sizzler for years, and their Malibu chicken has always been one of my favorite things to order whenever I go there. One day, I was craving that delicious, breaded, cheesy chicken dish, but we had no plans to go out. So I decided to simply make my own version at home. I’m incredibly happy with how it turned out, and I have to say, it might even be better than the original!
Malibu Chicken Recipe
This delicious copycat Malibu chicken begins with pounded chicken breasts that I coat in a seasoned breadcrumb mixture. Then, I fry them until they’re golden brown and crispy. Finally, I top them with Swiss cheese and bake them until they’re fully cooked and the cheese is nice and melty. I serve it all with a rich and tangy honey mustard sauce that’s extra creamy. It’s a dish that everyone loves, and I love how easy it is to make!
Why You’ll Love This Sizzler Malibu Chicken Recipe
- It’s easy to make, and this recipe is all about simple ingredients. The instructions are straightforward and can be on the table in under an hour.
- The delicious combination of crispy chicken, savory ham, and melted Swiss cheese is simply irresistible, and the dipping sauce adds a tangy kick that takes this dish over the top.
- It is a family favorite chicken recipe that is a surefire hit with kids and adults alike. A classic recipe that everyone will enjoy.
Malibu Chicken Ingredients
Although there are several ingredients needed for this recipe, they’re all very simple and most of them are spices. You can find everything you need at your local grocery store in just a few minutes!
For the Chicken
- Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- Sliced ham
- Swiss cheese
- All purpose flour
- Large egg
- Panko breadcrumbs (crush down a bit)
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegetable oil
For the Dipping Sauce
- Dijon mustard
- Yellow mustard
How to Make Malibu Chicken
Making this recipe is so easy. It just takes a few minutes of prep and a few minutes more of cooking. The entire thing only takes around a half hour, and you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time!
Step 1: Pound the Chicken
Pound each piece of chicken to a thin, uniform thickness.
Step 2: Make the Dredging Station
Add flour to a shallow container. Whisk buttermilk and egg in a second shallow container. Finally, combine the breadcrumbs and seasonings in a third shallow container.
Step 3: Coat the Chicken
Pat the chicken dry and dip it in the flour, then in the buttermilk mixture, and finally, into the breadcrumb mixture.
Step 4: Fry
Fry the chicken in oil and butter over medium heat in a cast iron skillet for 6 to 8 minutes per side until golden brown. Then, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
Step 5: Top with Ham and Cheese
Place the chicken on a baking sheet and top with a slice of Swiss cheese, a slice of ham, and another slice of cheese.
Step 6: Bake
Bake at 350 for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Step 7: Make the Honey Mustard
Combine the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, and honey in a small bowl. Serve with the chicken and enjoy!
- It’s important to pat the chicken dry before dredging it so the coating sticks.
- Fry one piece of chicken at a time so the oil and butter stay hot.
- Don’t overcook your chicken. You only need to bake it until the cheese melts.
- You can use store-bought honey mustard if you prefer.
- Use your favorite kind of ham for this recipe.
- You can make this with pounded pork chops, as well.
What to Serve with Malibu Chicken
This delicious Malibu chicken is perfect with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or rice. You can also pair it with your favorite vegetables, a side salad, or crusty bread with butter.
Malibu chicken is a chicken dish made popular by Sizzler. It features a breaded, baked chicken breast topped with ham and Swiss cheese and served with honey mustard sauce.
Malibu sauce is a mayo mustard variation made with mayonnaise, mustard, and honey.
No. Chicken cordon bleu is a breaded, fried chicken breast that’s stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese. On the other hand, Malibu chicken is breaded and baked and then topped with ham and Swiss cheese. The flavors are the same, but the cooking method is different.
What makes Malibu chicken special is the combination of flavors and textures. The crispy, breading combined with the tender, juicy chicken, ham, and melty cheese is perfect when served with its extra creamy honey mustard sauce.
Malibu chicken freezes well and will last for up to 3 months when stored properly.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Malibu Chicken
Refrigerate Malibu chicken for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze it in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
To reheat Malibu chicken, place it on a baking sheet and bake it at 350 until heated through.
Try This Delicious Copycat Malibu Chicken Recipe Today
Overall, this copycat recipe is an easy-to-make dish that the whole family will enjoy, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a tasty and satisfying weeknight meal.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These Honey BBQ Chicken Wraps are the perfect chicken wrap that is made with tender crispy fried chicken tenders, covered in honey barbecue sauce, wrapped in a flour tortilla with lettuce, ranch dressing, and fried onion strings.
Here is a delicious Mississippi Chicken recipe made in the slow cooker, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that you will enjoy as well. Tender, juicy, flavorful, slow cooked chicken makes an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will enjoy.
Malibu Chicken Recipe
For the Malibu Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (pound down a bit)
- 6 slices ham
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 cups Panko breadcrumbs, crush them a bit
- 2 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
For the Malibu Chicken
- Pound the chicken breasts evenly across the surface, so that it is all the same thickness. Use plastic wrap or parchment paper and place the chicken in between so the chicken won’t stick to the mallet or rolling pin
- Heat oil and butter in a cast iron skillet, or in a frying pan, over medium heat.
- Using 3 separate bowls, or shallow containers, add flour to one bowl, buttermilk and egg mixture in the second bow, and bread crumbs and seasonings to the third bowl.
- Pat dry each piece of chicken and dip into flour, then into buttermilk mixture and lastly, into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Add chicken (3 at a time) into the hot skillet.
- Fry for approximately 6-8 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Repeat the process and continue cooking the remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
- Place cooked chicken on a baking sheet.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of Swiss
- Next, top with a slice of ham and then followed by another slice of Swiss cheese.
- Bake at 350° until the cheese has melted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven.
For the Dipping Sauce
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, and honey together.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.