This Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers with Penne Pasta is a hearty and delicious, easy Instant pot recipe that is packed with flavor and super easy to make.
I love using my Instant Pot. It makes everything so much faster and so much easier. I especially love making family meals with it because they’re as easy as they are hearty. One of my favorite recipes is this sausage and pepper pasta recipe. It’s hearty enough to feed a family, and it makes enough that you can serve it the next day! If you have kids, that’s important because, as we all know, kids are bottomless pits. They can heat up this recipe the next day for a quick meal, or you can heat it up for a second dinner. That saves time and hassle, and that’s really what it’s all about, isn’t it?
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers with Pasta
This delicious recipe starts with hot Italian sausage. Then it’s combined with peppers, onions, and jalapeno peppers. Finally, it’s all mixed with a zesty, spicy, and simple tomato cheese sauce, and it’s all served over rice. It’s hearty, meaty, and a real crowd-pleaser. It makes the perfect dish for family dinners or potlucks, and everyone always comes back for more!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- It’s super flavorful and delicious.
- It is easy to make and is the perfect weeknight dinner.
- It’s loaded with Italian sausage, bell peppers, onions, jalapenos, penne pasta, and lots of mozzarella cheese.
- Stir continuously when sautéing your sausage and peppers as the Instant Pot sauté setting is quite hot.
- Be sure to naturally release the pressure first before manually releasing it for the proper cooking.
- Use hot or mild Italian sausage for this recipe.
- You can use kielbasa or summer sausage for a different flavor profile.
- Use turkey sausage for a healthier version.
- If you don’t like hot food, omit the jalapenos and red pepper flakes.
- Use any short noodles you like for this recipe.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
This recipe is perfect with a side salad, crusty bread, or both. It’s so hearty, that’s all you need. If you’re feeding a crowd, pair it with other delicious Italian favorites like:
- Crusty bread
- Garlic bread
- Baked Ziti
What kind of sausage should I use?
Italian sausage works best in this recipe because it pairs nicely with the other Italian flavors.
Can you freeze leftover sausage and peppers with pasta?
You sure can! Place it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Can sausage and peppers be made on the stovetop?
Yes. The Instant Pot simply speeds up the process. Make this recipe in the same manner, but simmer the sauce for about 30 minutes and cook the noodles separately. Then, combine the sausage, sauce, and noodles, and stir in the cheese.
How long will Instant Pot sausage and peppers last in the fridge?
You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
How to Store and Reheat Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
Store this in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat, simply place it in a saucepan over medium-low heat until heated through.
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. There’s nothing fancy.
- Hot Italian sausage, (can use mild)
- Green bell peppers, diced
- Jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- Large onion, diced
- Cloves garlic, minced
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Petite diced tomatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Penne pasta
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
How to Make Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
Making this recipe is very simple. It only takes a few minutes of prep and a few more in the Instant Pot. That’s it!
Step 1: Cook the Sausage
Add 3 tablespoons of butter and Italian sausage links to the bottom of the Instant Pot and cook on “sauté” until all sides are brown. Remove from the Instant Pot, slice into ½-inch pieces, and return them to the pot.
Step 2: Cook the Vegetables
Add 3 more tablespoons of butter and cook the bell peppers, onions, and jalapenos on “sauté” until they’re soft – about 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 3: Combine the Rest
Add seasonings and stir. Then, add the remaining ingredients except for the cheese. Close and lock the lid, turn the vent to “sealing”, press “manual”, then “high pressure” and set the time for 6 minutes.
Step 4: Finish the Dish
When finished, natural release the pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release. Open the lid when the valve drops, stir in the shredded cheese, and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers Recipe Today
This delicious Instant Pot sausage and peppers recipe is loaded with flavor, not work. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time, and you’ll have a hearty meal that everyone loves. You can’t be a combination like that. Give it a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Italian Sausage Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Italian Sausage Pasta Bake – This pasta bake is a delicious comfort food recipe made with a creamy white sauce and a meat sauce, hot Italian sausage, and lots of mozzarella cheese.
Homemade Lasagna – A hearty and delicious family favorite lasagna recipe with a homemade meat sauce with both ground beef and Italian sausage, seasoned perfectly and loaded with cheese.
Sausage and Spinach Manicotti – This delicious and hearty manicotti recipe is loaded with Italian sausage, spinach, a ricotta cheese mixture in a tomato based sauce, and lots of mozzarella cheese.
And, here is an Italian Sausage Penne Casserole, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that you will enjoy as well.
Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers with Pasta
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage, (can use mild)
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 14.25 ounce petite diced tomatoes
- 10 ounce Rotel
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter and Italian sausage links to the bottom of the pot.
- "Saute" sausage until all sides are browned then remove from pot.
- Slice sausage into ½ inch pieces and return back to pot.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter
- "Saute" until bell peppers, onions, and jalapenos are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add oregano, basil, Slap Ya Mama, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients (except the shredded cheese) and stir.
- Close and lock lid. Turn vent to "sealing" and press "manual" "high pressure" and set the time for 6 minutes(takes about 25 minutes to reach full pressure).
- When finished, natural release for 5 minutes then quick release.
- Open lid once the float valve drops.
- Add the shredded cheese, stir and enjoy.
- Serve with a side salad and garlic bread.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.