This delicious chicken cobbler is made with deliciously seasoned shredded chicken, mixed vegetables, cheese, and a biscuit topping, then baked to golden perfection. An easy chicken casserole recipe the whole family will enjoy.
If you’ve never heard of chicken cobbler, you might be sitting there trying to picture how the heck you could combine chicken with cobbler topping. Well, you don’t, that would be gross. So don’t worry about that! No, this recipe may have cobbler in the name, but it’s actually a super creamy and delicious chicken casserole. I’ve been making it for a little while now in one form or another. It’s hearty enough to satisfy a family, and it makes enough to serve for leftovers, as well. I also love bringing it to potlucks because it can feed an army. Plus, it’s as easy as it is delicious which is always a bonus!
This casserole starts with shredded chicken breasts. Then, I combine it with mixed vegetables, tasty spices, and a combination of chicken broth and cream of chicken soup for a super creamy base. Finally, it’s all topped with Cheddar Bay biscuit mix for a tasty topping that just cannot be beaten. This recipe is one that will have everyone coming back to the table for seconds. They always love the taste, and you’ll never get tired of how easy it is to make!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Cobbler Recipe
- It’s an easy and delicious casserole recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
- It uses simple ingredients and is a hearty comfort food recipe.
- It’s made with the popular and delicious Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix.
- It’s important to get a good sear on the chicken for extra depth of flavor and to retain the juices.
- Top your casserole with the last layer of cheese as soon as you remove it from the oven so it can melt.
- Just enjoy it. It’s super easy!
- You can use shredded rotisserie chicken in place of chicken breasts.
- Add your favorite vegetables to this recipe like corn, carrots, green beans, peas and broccoli.
- If you don’t like spicy food, omit the red pepper flakes for less heat.
- You can use your favorite shredded cheese for this recipe. They all work.
What to Serve with Chicken Cobbler
This delicious recipe is a meal in and of itself, but you can pair it with some other great flavors for even more variety.
- Roasted vegetables
- Side salad
- Crusty bread
- Garlic bread
How long is chicken casserole good in the fridge?
This will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator in a covered container or wrapped with plastic wrap in its original dish.
Can you make this chicken cobbler in advance?
Partially. Make the chicken in advance. Then, when you’re ready to bake, assemble the casserole and cook it.
Can you use rotisserie chicken in place of chicken breasts?
In recipes that use shredded chicken breast, you can absolutely use shredded rotisserie chicken instead.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Cobbler
Store this cobbler in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Chicken Cobbler Ingredients
You only need some simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store. The actual measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Butter melted
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Vegetable oil
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuit mix
- Whole milk
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Chicken broth
- Cream of chicken soup
How to Make Chicken Cobbler
Making this recipe is just about as easy as it gets. It takes minimal effort and just a few minutes.
Step 1: Cook the Chicken
Add the chicken to a large frying pan with oil. Then season with Slap Ya Mama, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Cook on medium-high heat until the chicken has a good sear. Then, add butter to the pan, flip the chicken, and baste each breast with the butter. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Shred the Chicken
Add the cooked chicken and juices to a large bowl and let it cool until you can safely handle it. Then shred the chicken.
Step 3: Construct the Casserole
Add ½ cup of melted butter to a 9×13 baking dish or a 3-quart baking dish. Then add the shredded chicken followed by the mixed vegetables. Mix the milk and biscuit mix together and stir in 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese and the seasoning packet from the biscuit mix. Pour it over the vegetables. Then, mix the broth and cream of chicken soup together and pour over the biscuit mixture. Don’t stir.
Step 4: Bake
Bake the casserole uncovered at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Then, remove it from the oven and immediately top it with another cup of shredded cheese.
Try This Easy Chicken Cobbler Recipe Today
This chicken cobbler is just about the easiest chicken casserole recipe you’ll ever make. It only takes about half an hour of prep and 50 minutes of baking to get a casserole on the table that will satisfy even the heartiest eaters. Serve it for family meals or bring it to potlucks or special gatherings. It’s always a welcome addition to any table! Give it a try!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole – This delicious enchilada casserole recipe is loaded with perfectly seasoned chicken, lots of cheese, corn tortillas and baked until hot and bubbly. A great and hearty weeknight dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Southwest Chicken Wraps – These wraps are super flavorful and delicious. They are packed with deliciously seasoned chicken, a fresh corn salsa, onions and peppers, drizzled with avocado ranch dressing and wrapped up in flour tortillas.
Creamy Chicken Salad – This delicious chicken salad recipe is made with tender chicken, red grapes, chopped walnuts, red onions and more, and is perfect to serve as an appetizer or a main meal.
And, here is a Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken recipe from Great Grub, Delicious Treats that you will enjoy as well.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 12 ounce frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuit mix
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 10.5 ounce cream chicken soup
- Preheat oven to 350°
For the Chicken
- In a large frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Add chicken, seasoned with Slap Ya Mama, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes.
- Once you have a good sear, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan, flip chicken over and baste each breast with the butter.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and juices to a large bowl.
- Let it cool a bit then shred it.
Assembling the Chicken Cobbler
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, add ½ cup of melted butter.
- Place shredded chicken in a baking dish, followed by mixed vegetables.
- Mix milk and biscuit mix together. Stir in one cup sharp cheddar cheese and seasoning packet from biscuit mix. Pour over the top of the veggies.
- Mix chicken broth and cream of chicken soup together and pour that over the biscuit mixture. Don’t stir.
- Bake uncovered oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and top with another cup of shredded cheese.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.