This broccoli cheese rice casserole is a delicious side dish recipe made with tender broccoli, lots of cheese, and fluffy rice in a creamy cheese sauce. It’s a quick and easy comfort food recipe that is the perfect side dish for a special occasion or an easy weeknight meal.
Casseroles have always been a big part of my life. My mother and grandmother made them all the time, and when I moved out, so did I. Casseroles are a great food for single people on a budget because they’re inexpensive to make, and you can eat them for days! When I got married and had kids, I continued to make casseroles because I could feed the entire family for 2 or 3 days. .
These days, I still make casseroles quite often. They’re great reheated, and they make dinner a breeze. I especially love this casserole because it’s so hearty and filling. I’ll make it as-is or add chicken to it for a complete meal. In either case, it’s always delicious and filling, and it makes an excellent meal for a few days.
Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
This delicious casserole combines rice, broccoli, cream soup, cheddar cheese soup, and 2 cheeses. I combine everything, top it with crushed Ritz crackers, and bake until it’s heated through and the topping is golden brown. It’s an easy recipe that just requires a little mixing and baking, so it’s perfect for weeknight meals or bringing to potlucks. Because it’s so quick, easy, and delicious, I’ll make it for dinners as well as potlucks.
Why You’ll Love This Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole Recipe
- This broccoli cheese rice casserole is a classic comfort food recipe that has been around for decades and is perfect for any occasion.
- It’s made with basic ingredients and can be customized with different types of cheese and different types of rice, and you can add vegetables or even meat to make it your own.
- It is a budget-friendly and crowd-pleasing recipe that is loved by both kids and adults alike, and it’s great for potlucks and parties.
Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole Ingredients
You’ll only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you can find them all either in your kitchen or at your local grocery store. This recipe doesn’t take anything fancy!
- Cooked white rice or brown rice
- Fresh broccoli florets, cookies
- Cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup
- Condensed cheddar cheese soup
- Whole milk
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Garlic powder
- Black Pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Ritz crackers
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
Making this casserole is just as easy as shopping for the ingredients. You only need to do a little mixing and baking. That’s all there is to it! You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in just about 45 minutes.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 or a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Combine the Ingredients
Combine the cooked rice, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar soup, milk, Velveeta, garlic powder, and black pepper in a large bowl. Then, gently stir in the cooked broccoli.
Step 3: Bake
Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with sprinkled parmesan, sharp cheddar, and crushed Ritz crackers. Then, bake for 30 minutes until hot and melty. Enjoy!
- Be sure you spray your baking dish with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking or burning.
- Be very gentle when mixing in the broccoli to keep it from breaking apart.
- The casserole is finished when the crackers are golden and the cheese is bubbly.
- You can add any of your favorite vegetables to this casserole.
- Try adding cooked, cubed chicken breasts, beef, or pork to the casserole.
- For a kick of heat, try adding red pepper flakes.
What to Serve with Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
This hearty casserole is perfect with almost all of your favorite meat-based main courses. Serve it with your favorite chicken, beef, or pork recipes including roasted chicken, beef roasts and steaks, or pork roasts or pork chops.
It depends on the recipe. In many cases, you can use frozen broccoli in place of fresh. However, in a recipe like this, frozen broccoli will extend the cooking time of the casserole too long and the top will get too done before the casserole is heated through.
In almost all cases, rice should be cooked before adding it to a casserole. There isn’t enough liquid to fully cook the rice otherwise.
You can store this casserole in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container.
This casserole reheats very well, so feel free to make it in advance and refrigerate until ready to reheat and serve.
Serve this casserole alongside your favorite chicken, beef, or pork recipes.
How to Store and Reheat Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole Leftovers
Refrigerate this casserole in an airtight container for up to a week. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the casserole, bake it at 350 degrees until heated through.
Try This Delicious Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe
This broccoli cheese rice casserole is hearty, filling, delicious, and so easy to make. You can’t beat that combination. Whether you’re single or a busy mom, this casserole is one that you need to make! It’s so easy and delicious, you’ll be hooked with just one bite. Give this a try, and I know you’ll make it a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Casserole Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Breakfast Casserole is loaded with hash browns, sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheese, and is the perfect breakfast recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets, cooked
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 10.75 ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375° and spray a 9×13 or a 3-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add cooked rice, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar soup, milk, Velveeta cheese, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir until combined.
- Gently stir the cooked broccoli into the rice mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and sharp cheddar over the top, followed by the crushed crackers.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melty, and the casserole is heated through.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.