This cheesy and delicious, pull-apart, Pepperoni Pizza Monkey Bread Casserole is a fun twist on the classic recipe. In this savory version, grand biscuits are covered with a buttery herb seasoning blend, shredded mozzarella cheese, and mini pepperonis, then baked to golden perfection.
Pizza is delicious. Monkey bread is always so tender and doughy. Of course, a casserole is always a winner. A couple of years ago, I decided to combine all three of these into one delicious recipe that is the best of all worlds. The thing that makes this recipe so great is that it can be an appetizer or dinner, depending on your situation. I’ve been known to make it for both. It’s always a hit at potlucks, and when I have a houseful of guests, it makes a delicious, pizza-flavored main dish that brings everyone back for more again and again. It is definitely a crowd-pleaser.
Pizza Monkey Bread Casserole
This delicious monkey bread recipe starts with refrigerated buttermilk biscuits cut into quarters and rolled into balls. Then, I coat them with Italian-seasoned melted butter. I layer them with cheese and pepperoni and bake until melty and bubbly. When it’s all done, I have a casserole that when each bite is dipped in marinara sauce has all the flavor of pizza! It’s a delicious dish that you can serve for almost any occasion from fun dinners to game day!
Why You’ll Love This Pepperoni Pizza Monkey Bread Recipe
- It combines two classics in one fun recipe – pepperoni pizza and monkey bread.
- It’s super cheesy and loaded with mini pepperonis, and is delicious dipped in marinara sauce.
- It is great for parties and family get-togethers or perfect for a game day appetizer everyone will enjoy.
Pizza Monkey Bread Casserole Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you’ll find them all in your kitchen and at your local grocery store.
- Grand buttermilk biscuits
- Mini pepperonis
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cloves garlic
- Dried parsley flakes or fresh parsley
How to Make Pizza Monkey Bread Casserole
Making this delicious recipe is almost as easy as the quick trip it takes to grab all the ingredients. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Coat the Biscuits
Cut the biscuits into 4 pieces and roll each one into a ball. Place them in a large bowl, then, melt the butter and add garlic, parsley, oregano, and basil. Pour over the balls and stir to coat.
Step 2: Layer the Casserole
Spray a 3-quart baking dish and immediately add half the seasoned dough balls to it. Top with half of the shredded mozzarella and half of the pepperoni. Then, repeat with the biscuits, cheese, and pepperoni.
Step 3: Bake
Cover the dish loosely with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Then, remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown. Serve with marinara or pizza sauce, or ranch dressing for dipping and enjoy!
- The easiest way to make the butter mixture is by melting the butter in a microwaveable dish and then mixing the seasonings directly into it.
- Be sure all the dough pieces are thoroughly coated with the butter mixture before baking.
- Spray the baking dish immediately before adding the dough balls. If you spray it and let it sit, all the spray will run down and pool at the bottom of the dish.
- Try adding black olives, onions and/or mushrooms to the pepperoni layer.
- For a kick of heat, add red pepper flakes to the butter mixture.
- Try adding cooked sausage in place of pepperoni for a sausage pizza monkey bread casserole.
- Diced jalapeños are a delicious addition.
- You can use your favorite variety of large biscuits. Be sure they’re large!
What to Serve with Pizza Monkey Bread
This pull-apart bread is delicious on its own or as part of a larger appetizer spread at parties and potlucks. It also makes a great addition to a pizza or Italian-themed dinner when served with:
- Garlic breadsticks
- Cheesy breadsticks
- Stuffed shells
- Chicken wings
- Any of your favorite Italian dishes
What is monkey bread?
Monkey bread is a dish – usually a sweet one – made with pieces of soft baked dough. While it’s most often a sticky, sweet dessert or breakfast, it can also be a savory appetizer or dinner dish, as well.
Why is monkey bread called monkey bread?
Monkey bread gets its name from the fact that eating it looks a bit like a monkey picking at its companions while grooming them.
Do you have to use a bundt pan for monkey bread?
Not at all. While many people do use a bundt pan, monkey bread can be made in any sort of baking dish.
Why is my monkey bread raw in the middle?
You just didn’t cook it long enough. If the monkey bread at the bottom of the dish is still stretchy and doughy, simply cook it a bit longer.
Can you freeze leftover pizza monkey bread?
Absolutely. Monkey bread freezes very well and will last for up to 3 months in the freezer in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
How did monkey bread get its name?
Monkey bread got its name because picking off pieces of it to eat looks similar to a monkey grooming its friend. Which is a gross way to describe eating something so delicious if you really think about it.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Pizza Monkey Bread
Store this monkey bread in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 month in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the monkey bread, simply place your chosen amount in the microwave and heat it at 15-second intervals until hot.
Try This Easy Recipe for Pizza Monkey Bread Today
This pepperoni pizza monkey bread casserole tastes just like pepperoni pizza, and no one can get enough of it. It’s also super easy to make, so there’s no reason not to give it a try. Whip up this savory monkey bread just once, and I know it will be a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Monkey Bread Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Jalapeño Cheddar Monkey Bread – This delicious pull apart monkey bread recipe is loaded with two types of cheese, jalapenos, onions and baked to golden perfection.
Pumpkin Spice Monkey Bread – A sweet and sticky pumpkin spice monkey bread that is the perfect fall dessert. Coated with cinnamon, sugar and pumpkin pie spice with a scrumptious pumpkin sauce, this monkey bread is baked to perfection and drizzled with pumpkin spice icing.
Bananas Foster Monkey Bread – A sweet, gooey and absolutely scrumptious monkey bread recipe loaded with banana slices, a delicious bananas foster sauce and grand biscuits that are rolled in cinnamon and sugar.
Apple Pecan Monkey Bread – Made with chopped apples and pecans, this sweet and delicious monkey bread is from our other blog, Great Grub, Delicious Treats.
Pizza Monkey Bread Casserole with Mini Pepperonis
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly spray a 3 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray right before filling.
- Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces, roll each piece into a ball and place in a large bowl.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt butter then add minced garlic, parsley, oregano, and basil. Stir.
- Pour butter mixture over biscuit pieces, stir to coat and then place half the dough balls into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with half the shredded mozzarella cheese followed by half the pepperonis.
- Repeat with biscuit pieces, cheese and pepperonis.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.