Breakfast casseroles are easy to make and even easier to eat — and this breakfast casserole with hash browns is loaded with breakfast sausage, eggs, cheese, and more. It’s a hearty breakfast recipe that is perfect for weekend breakfast and is perfect to serve on Christmas morning.
Breakfast casseroles have always been one of my favorite recipes to make. When I became a mom, I quickly learned the value of time, and nothing saved more time for breakfast than a casserole. That extended as far as the day after breakfast because these casseroles make great lunches and even afternoon snacks for the kids after school. I routinely made double batches for my kids to keep up with their appetites and the appetites of their friends! I make breakfast casserole quite often, especially this one because I can seriously eat breakfast all day long, and with this recipe, I do!
Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
This isn’t just a breakfast, it’s a breakFEAST! It’s loaded with hash browns, sausage, onions, bell peppers, eggs, and a kick of heat with diced green chilies and red pepper flakes. Then, I top the entire thing with sharp cheddar cheese and bake it to melty breakfast perfection. It doesn’t get much better. Scratch that. It doesn’t get better period. This recipe is as delicious as the pictures make it look, and once you try it, you’ll agree.
Why You’ll Love This Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
- It has all your breakfast favorites like sausage, eggs, cheese, and hash browns, plus even more delicious flavors.
- It’s easy to make and will feed a crowd.
- It’s great to make ahead of time and just pop into the oven when you’re ready.
- And, it’s a fantastic Christmas morning breakfast.
- Always drain your sausage. Emeril may have said pork fat rules, but pork fat also makes a greasy breakfast casserole.
- Be sure to butter or spray your baking dish with nonstick spray so you can get all that deliciousness out of the dish.
- If you can find farm-fresh eggs, use them. They make the casserole AH-mazing.
- Try adding mushrooms and other breakfast veggies to this casserole.
- Add diced ham or bacon for even more flavor.
- For a Tex-Mex twist, top your casserole with Mexican blend cheese.
What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
Honestly, serving this hash brown casserole on its own is more than enough to feed even the biggest eaters, but if you want to go all-out, pair it with all your other favorite breakfast foods. Pro tip: sausage gravy poured over the casserole is crazy good.
- Sweet breakfast foods like cinnamon rolls
Is it better to cook hash browns frozen or thawed?
You should thaw shredded hash browns before cooking them to ensure they’re cooked entirely through and to make it easier to mix them in this casserole.
Can hash browns be cooked from frozen?
You can cook them from frozen, but you’ll get better results if you thaw them first.
Should I thaw frozen hash browns before cooking?
In almost every scenario, the answer is yes. Thawed hash browns cook more evenly on the inside and get that great crispy texture on the outside.
How long will breakfast casserole last in the fridge?
You can store it in an airtight container for about 4 days.
How to Store and Reheat Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
Store this casserole in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the casserole, cover the original dish with foil and baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
How to Freeze Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
If you’re making an entire casserole ahead of time, simply wrap the entire casserole dish in a double layer of plastic wrap then foil and freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing leftovers, place them in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this dish. Some of them might even be in your kitchen already. The rest are all readily available at your local grocery store.
- Frozen hash browns
- Breakfast sausage
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper
- Diced green chilies
- Large eggs
- Heavy cream
- Garlic salt or garlic powder
- Slap Ya mama seasoning
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Pepper jack cheese
How to Make Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
Making this hash brown breakfast casserole is super easy to do. All you have to do is a bit of browning, layering, and baking. That’s it!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9×13 baking dish or spray with cooking spray. Set aside. Add the hash browns to a large bowl.
Step 2: Cook the Sausage and Veggies
Cook the sausage, onions, bell peppers, and seasonings in a large skillet over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink, and the veggies are tender. Drain.
Step 3: Make the Egg Mixture
Whisk eggs and heavy cream together until foamy.
Step 4: Make the Casserole
Pour the egg mixture, sausage mixture, shredded cheese, and diced green chilies into the bowl with the hash browns and stir to combine.
Step 5: Bake
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 50 minutes. Then, remove the foil, top with pepper jack cheese, turn the oven up to 400 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Try This Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe Today
If you love breakfast and casseroles, then this is the recipe for you! It’s loaded with all your favorites, and it’s ridiculously easy to make. Whether you make it in the morning, for brunch, or the night before and then bake it the next day, this is one casserole that’s as easy as it is delicious. Once you give this one a try, it’ll be in your breakfast rotation forever. It’ll have to be if you want to avoid complaints!
More Breakfast Recipes to Enjoy
Hash Brown Breakfast Cups – These breakfast cups are easy to make, flavorful, and perfect for a grab and go breakfast.
Breakfast Flautas – These flautas are filled with fluffy scrambled eggs, ham, bell peppers, onion, and lots of cheese. A delicious breakfast recipe that is good any time of day.
Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich – A delicious breakfast sandwich made with eggs, bacon, ham, and cheese.
And, try this Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. It’s the best breakfast sandwich that you will ever make!
Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
- 30 ounce bag frozen hash browns
- 2- 16 ounce breakfast sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 ounce diced green chilies
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounce sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° and butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Add hash browns to a large mixing bowl.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, add sausage, onions, bell pepper and seasonings.
- Cook over medium high heat until sausage is no longer pink and veggies are tender. Drain.
- Whisk eggs and heavy cream together until foamy.
- Pour in egg mixture, sausage mixture, shredded cheese, and diced green chilies in the bowl with the hash browns. Stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with pepper jack cheese, turn oven up to 400° and put baking dish back in the oven for 20 additional minutes.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.
Reread your directions. I believe you skipped the “egg mixture” step. Thanks!
Thank you so much PEB! You are right. It has been added. Thanks! 🙂