These breakfast flautas are filled with scrambled eggs, ham, bell pepper, onion, and cheese, and are cooked in the air fryer. An easy air fryer recipe or oven-baked recipe that everyone will enjoy.
The only thing better than breakfast is a breakfast you can eat with your hands. Whether you’re rushing out the door or just want something quick and delicious, these flautas deliver. I often marry Mexican and American foods together to create Americanized versions of our favorite Mexican recipes or Tex-Mex versions of our favorite American recipes. That’s just what I did with these delicious breakfast flautas. These have been a family favorite for years. Get ready for a breakFEAST that everyone in your family is going to love.
These delicious flautas are the perfect mash-up of American and Mexican flavors and sensibilities. Scrambled eggs, ham steak, bell peppers, jalapenos, onions, cheese and kicked up spices are all rolled up into a delicious tortilla to create breakfast flautas that are loaded with flavor. Served on a plate with salsa or simply grabbed on the way out the door to school or work, these delicious flautas are perfect for sitting around the table or heading out the door.
Why You’ll Love These Breakfast Flautas
- They’re overflowing with all of your favorite breakfast flavors.
- They’re super easy to make and use simple ingredients.
- And, they’re super versatile. You can cook them in the oven or the air fryer.
Breakfast Flautas Tips and Variations
These delicious rolled-up breakfast bites are so easy to make that I don’t have a lot of tips here. I do have a couple, though. I also have some great variations that you can try to keep things interesting.
- Always heat your tortillas before rolling them up to keep them from cracking.
- Always preheat your air fryer. It’s a myth that you don’t have to preheat them.
- And, always spray your air fryer basket to prevent sticking.
- Use any of your favorite cheeses in this recipe. Some great ideas include Mexican or Taco mix cheeses.
- Add bacon or sausage in place of ham or add all three to the flautas.
- Diced jalapenos add a nice kick of flavor and heat.
- Add diced pan-fried potatoes.
Breakfast Flautas FAQ
If you have questions about these breakfast flautas, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
What is a flauta?
Flautas are basically a larger version of taquitos that are made with flour tortillas rather than corn tortillas.
Can I make these in the oven if I don’t have an air fryer?
You sure can. Place them on a baking sheet, brush them with oil, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 425 degrees or until they’re crisp and brown.
Can breakfast flautas be made in advance?
I don’t recommend it. The eggs will get dry, and the filling will cause the tortilla to get soggy.
How long do you cook flautas in an air fryer?
That depends on the recipe and the temperature used. In general, it takes anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes to cook them.
Are flautas authentic Mexican food?
They sure are, although this recipe isn’t. Flautas are simply taquitos made with flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas. Both taquitos and flautas were invented in Mexico.
What to Serve with Ham, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Flautas
These flautas are an entire meal all on their own, but if you want to really do it up, pair them with any of your favorite breakfast foods. Some great ideas include:
How to Store and Reheat Breakfast Flautas
Store these in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. To reheat them, place them in the air fryer for about a minute at 400 degrees.
Breakfast Flautas Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
- Large eggs
- Ham, steak, diced
- Flour tortillas (homemade)
- Green bell pepper, diced
- Jalapeno, diced
- White onion, diced
- White cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or mozzarella cheese
- Slap Ya Mama
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Breakfast Flautas
Making these flautas is exceptionally easy. It only takes a few simple steps and a few minutes to make them!
Step 1: Cook the Vegetables and Ham
Heat oil over medium heat and add the onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and diced ham. Cook for 3 minutes or until the onions and peppers are tender. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Eggs
Whisk the eggs and add them to the pan. Cook over medium heat until cooked through, then remove them from the heat.
Step 3: Make the Flautas
Heat tortillas in a pan, then add the shredded cheese, ham and onion mixture, and eggs to the center of the tortillas. Roll them up tightly, then air fryer them for 7 minutes at 370 degrees. Flip and air fry for another 3 minutes. Enjoy!
Try These Delicious Breakfast Flautas Today
These breakfast flautas (breakfast taquitos) are loaded with flavor and so easy to make. That’s the perfect combination for breakfast if you ask me. Scrambled eggs, ham, onions, bell peppers, and cheese all wrapped up in a soft tortilla? Sounds perfect to me! Give these a try, and I know you’ll agree.
Here are More Delicious Breakfast Recipes to Try
Hash Brown Breakfast Cups – A delicious breakfast recipe made with crispy, golden hash browns that are filled with breakfast sausage, cheese, and eggs.
Breakfast Lasagna – An incredible breakfast recipe that is made with layers of lasagna noodles, eggs, cheese, and breakfast sausage. It’s the perfect meal to make to feed a crowd.
Breakfast Casserole with Biscuits – A hearty and filling casserole that is loaded with fluffy biscuits, eggs, breakfast sausage, and lots and lots of cheese.
Also, try this amazing Breakfast Sandwich from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. It’s made with homemade English muffins, a fluffy egg, hand pressed sausage patty, and topped with cheese.
Breakfast Flautas with Ham, Egg, and Cheese
- 15 eggs
- Ham, steak, diced
- 12 tortillas, homemade (or store-bought)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 16 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Heat oil over medium heat and add in onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and diced ham. Cook for 3 minutes or until onions and peppers are tender.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and add to pan. Cook eggs over medium heat until eggs are cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Heat tortillas in a pan prior to rolling them up.
- Add in shredded cheese, onion and pepper mixture, and eggs into air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 370 degrees for 7 minutes, flip flautas, and air fry for an additional 3 minutes at 370 degrees.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.