This delicious biscuit breakfast casserole is loaded with sausage, eggs, cheese, and biscuits. A hearty comfort food recipe for breakfast that everyone is going to enjoy.
I’m a firm believer that if you can make a recipe or meal into a casserole, then you should do it. I’ve been living by that philosophy for years, and it’s served me well. I’ve made everything from taco casserole to French toast casserole. You name it, I’ve made it into a casserole. That’s what I’ve done with this recipe. This casserole is everything we love about breakfast all rolled up into one delicious dish that’s so easy to make and so full of flavor.
Breakfast Casserole with Biscuits
This casserole starts with canned biscuits, so it’s tasty and easy. Then, I add hot Italian sausage, onion, cheese, eggs, and seasonings. It is literally breakfast in casserole form. Every bite is loaded with spicy sausage, gooey cheese, fluffy biscuits, and more great breakfast flavors that everyone in the family will love. It’s definitely a breakFEAST!
Sausage Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
At its core, this casserole is all about sausage and biscuits. Those two ingredients are the crux of this recipe. Like any good sausage and biscuit breakfast, it’s loaded with meaty goodness to go with the fluffy biscuits we all love. Then we kick it up a notch, as Emeril would say, with onions and cheese. MmmMMMM, is it good!
Why You’ll Love This Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
I mean, what’s not to love? Buttermilk biscuits, sausage, cheese, onions, and spices? It doesn’t get much better.
- This recipe is absolutely full of flavor and loaded with some of the best breakfast ingredients around – all in one recipe.
- You can make this recipe in advance and then bake it up when it’s convenient. It’s great for making the night before and baking fresh in the morning.
- The ingredients for this recipe are very easy and easy to switch up to make different breakfasts every time if you want.
In addition to being easy and delicious, this recipe is so easy to play with. It’s so much fun. Seriously. You can make all kinds of little tweaks and changes to it to create any kind of breakfast casserole you like.
- Use your favorite sausage varieties in this recipe: hot or mild breakfast sausage, turkey sausage – it all works.
- You can add different meats as well. Try ham, bacon, or even leftover steak.
- Try using different vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, green onions, and even diced green chilies.
- Use any of your favorite cheese varieties in this recipe to make it exactly the way you like it!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about this biscuit breakfast casserole then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
What can I serve with this breakfast casserole with biscuits?
The better question is what CAN’T you serve with it? This recipe pairs incredibly well with all your breakfast favorites.
- Scrambled eggs
- Fried eggs
- Has browns
- Home fries
- Anything else you love for breakfast
Can you freeze biscuit breakfast casserole?
You sure can. Place it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 2 months. Remember to place a layer of clingwrap directly onto the casserole before closing the lid to further protect it from the air.
Can you make this casserole the night before?
Yes! Just put it all together and place it in the fridge. Take it out the next morning and bake it up. It will be perfect.
Can you roll out canned biscuits?
Absolutely. There are a number of recipes out there besides this one that call for that very thing, actually.
Storing and Reheating Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
This casserole will keep well in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3 to 4 days. For longer storage, you can freeze it per the directions above for up to 2 months.
Ingredients for Breakfast Casserole with Biscuits
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this delicious casserole. In fact, you might not even have to go to the store. If you do, you’ll find everything you need easily.
- Refrigerated can buttermilk biscuits
- Hot Italian sausage
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Large eggs
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
How to Make Breakfast Casserole with Biscuits
Making this casserole is just as easy as gathering up the ingredients. It only takes a few simple steps to construct it. After that, it’s just a matter of baking it up!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray an 11×7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set the dish aside. Then dice the onions, shred the cheese, and measure out all the ingredients.
Step 2: Cook Sausage and Onions
In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook the Italian sausage, crumbling it as it cooks. Then add the diced onions. Cook the mixture until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are tender. Next, add 1 cup of shredded cheese and stir until it’s melted. Remove the mixture from the heat and set it aside.
Step 3: Prep and Fill the Biscuits
Cut the biscuit dough into quarters and flatten or roll them out. You’ll end up with 40 pieces of flattened dough. Then, fill each piece of biscuit with a spoonful of the cooked sausage mixture. Pinch the edges of the biscuits together to seal them and roll them into balls. Finally, place the biscuits into the prepared baking dish.
Step 4: Prepare the Eggs
Add eggs, milk, pepper, and garlic powder to a bowl and whisk the eggs well. Then, pour the egg mixture over the biscuits.
Step 5: Bake
Bake the casserole in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until the eggs are completely cooked through. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining cheese. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Biscuit Breakfast Sausage and Egg Casserole Recipe Today
This biscuit breakfast casserole is so easy and so full of flavor, there’s absolutely no reason not to give it a try. In fact, you have every reason to make it as soon as possible! With biscuits, sausage, eggs, and cheese in every bite, this is a hearty breakfast that everyone in the family will love. Try it once, and I guarantee you’ll be making it again and again.
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
Hash Brown Breakfast Cups – These are a delicious breakfast recipe that is made with breakfast sausage, hash browns, eggs, two types of cheese, seasoned perfectly and baked. So good!
Homemade Biscuits and Gravy – Totally made from scratch, this homemade biscuit and gravy recipe is absolutely delicious and always a favorite breakfast recipe.
Breakfast Lasagna with Sausage, Egg and Cheese – A hearty and delicious lasagna recipe with all the classic favorite breakfast ingredients in one casserole.
And, here is a delicious Cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Casserole from Great Grub, Delicious Treats that you might enjoy too!
- (2) 5 count cans of refrigerated biscuits
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray an 11×7 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron pan, over medium heat, add Italian sausage (with casing removed). Crumble sausage as it cooks and add in diced onions. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut biscuits into quarters and flatten/roll out each quarter. (You should end up with 40 pieces of flattened biscuit dough.)
- Fill each piece of biscuit dough with a spoonful of sausage mixture. Pinch edges of the biscuits together to seal and roll each into a ball. Repeat until all biscuits are filled with mixture.
- Place each filled biscuit into the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs, milk, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk well until eggs are completely beaten.
- Pour egg mixture over biscuits
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until eggs are completely cooked through.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining shredded cheese. Serve immediately.
Here are a few pictures that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards.