Broccoli cheddar chicken pot pie is a classic comfort food recipe that is a hearty and satisfying dish made with tender chicken, broccoli, and a creamy cheddar cheese sauce. The flaky crust adds the perfect finishing touch to a delicious meal the whole family will love.
I love making pot pies of all kinds. I’ve made my share of traditional pot pies, baking dish pot pies with biscuit topping, and even chicken pot pie soup. Although I love them all, I always come back to the traditional version with a golden pie crust. Don’t let that fool you into thinking that I always make the same old-school pot pie every time, though. Oh, no! I like to change things up. That’s why I love making this broccoli cheddar pot pie. It combines classic pot pie ingredients with broccoli and cheddar to make a rich, hearty, and CHEESY pot pie that’s just so good..
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
This delicious pot pie recipe starts with a premade pie crust that I press into the bottom of a pie pan. Then, I make a rich, creamy filling loaded with chicken breasts, onion, celery, garlic, zesty seasonings. broth, cream, and of course, cheddar cheese! I bake the entire thing to golden perfection, and when I’m all done, I have a rich, creamy, meaty pot pie that’s just so cheese-tastic. This pot pie absolutely disappears whenever I make it, and if the kids are over, I rarely have leftovers.
Why You’ll Love This Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- It is a delicious and comforting meal that is creamy, cheesy, and packed with flavor.
- It’s easy to make and uses a store-bought crust which saves time, and with the simple filling, the whole thing comes together in under an hour.
- It’s versatile and can be customized to your liking. For example, you can add different vegetables, such as peas and carrots, you can use different types of cheese, and turkey or beef can be substituted in place of chicken.
Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pie Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic ingredients and some spices to make this delicious pot pie recipe, and they can all be found at your local grocery store in one quick trip!
- Chicken breasts
- Cloves garlic
- All purpose flour
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Fresh broccoli
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
- Large egg
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe is very easy to make, requiring just a few minutes of prep and stovetop cooking before it’s baked to perfection. Even beginners will have no trouble with this one – as is the case with almost all of my recipes!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and lightly spray a deep dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Roll out the pie crusts on a floured surface, then press one into the bottom of the pie plate. Set the other aside.
Step 2: Cook the Chicken and Veggies
Add chicken, onions, celery, and garlic to a large skillet with butter over medium heat. Then, add the Slap Ya Mama seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper and cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the onions and celery are tender.
Step 3: Make the Roux
Sprinkle flour over the chicken mixture, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Make the Sauce
Gradually pour the the chicken broth and heavy cream into the pan, stirring frequently until thickened.
Step 5: Add Broccoli and Cheese
Add the broccoli and cheese, stir, and cook for about 5 minutes.
Step 6: Fill and Seal
Pour the pot pie filling into the pie plate with the pie crust. Then, top with the other pie crust, seal and flute the edges, and cut several slits into the top.
Step 7: Bake
Brush the crust with egg wash and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
- Stir your chicken mixture frequently while cooking it to ensure the onions and garlic don’t burn.
- Keep the heat on medium when cooking the chicken mixture. Again, this ensures the onion and garlic don’t burn.
- Stir constantly when making the sauce so it doesn’t stick.
- It’s important that you don’t skip the egg wash or your crust won’t get nicely golden.
- Use beef, pork, or turkey in place of chicken.
- Add your favorite vegetables to this pot pie recipe.
- For a kick of heat, try adding red pepper flakes.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
This chicken pot pie is a super hearty recipe all by itself, so I recommend keeping the sides simple. Try serving this with:
- Side salad
- Crusty bread
- Garlic bread
There are two ways to be sure your bottom crust doesn’t get soggy. First, you can brush egg wash over it to make a physical barrier against the liquid filling. Second, you can par-bake the crust. Doing this makes the crust slightly crisp and slows the rate of liquid absorption when you put the filling into it.
Be sure you cook your chicken and vegetables thoroughly to avoid moisture seeping out of them and into the filling. In addition, if you don’t cook the pot pie long enough, the filling will be watery.
Chicken pot pie sauce is made with a roux of butter and flour to which chicken or beef broth and heavy cream are added.
You can construct the pot pie up to a day in advance. Then, simply bake it per the directions.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
Refrigerate this pot pie in an airtight container or tightly covered with plastic wrap for up to 3 days. For longer storage, wrap the pot pie tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil and freeze it for up to 3 months.
To reheat the pot pie, place it in a baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 until heated through. If it’s still in the original pie plate, you can simply bake it in that.
Try This Delicious Broccoli Cheddar Pot Pie with Chicken Today
This broccoli cheddar chicken pot pie takes the classic and kicks it up a notch with chopped broccoli and a ton of cheddar cheese. It’s rich, thick, meaty, cheesy, and most importantly, easy! This is a great family dinner recipe for any day of the week, and it even makes a fun addition to potlucks. With a recipe this delicious and easy, you owe it to yourself to give it a try!
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Chicken Caesar Bowtie Pasta Salad is a hearty salad recipe loaded crisp romaine lettuce, tender rotisserie chicken, crispy bacon, pasta, and Parmesan cheese, and topped with Caesar croutons and creamy Caesar dressing.
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 large chicken breasts, cut into small size pieces
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crust room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 425° and lightly spray a deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Take the pie crusts and place it into the bottom of the prepared pie dish. Set the top pie crust aside temporarily.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add chicken, onions, celery, and garlic to the pan.
- Sprinkle it with Slap Ya Mama seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper. Cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink, and the onions and celery are tender.
- Next, sprinkle flour into the pan, stir and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour chicken broth and heavy cream into the pan, stirring frequently until hot and thickened.
- Next, add the broccoli and cheese. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon pot pie mixture into prepared pie plate and top with remaining pie crust.
- Seal and flute edges and cut several slits into the top of the pie crust.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water together and brush over the pot pie.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.