This delicious, flavorful, and flaky raspberry pastry is made with a sweet cream cheese filling and a fresh raspberry sauce, baked until flaky, golden brown, and lastly, drizzled with glaze.
As any regular reader of my blog knows by now, I’m a pastry fiend. I just love the crust, the filling, and the glaze. Mmm. All the fruity, sweet cream cheese goodness wrapped up in golden puff pastry? You can’t beat it. Well, you can if you make it yourself instead of grabbing it at the store! If you love pastry as much as I do, then you’re going to adore this delicious raspberry puff pastry recipe. It has all the pastry flavors we love, it’s homemade, and it’s actually very easy!
This delicious pastry features a sweet raspberry filling paired with a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling for the classic pastry filling combo that we all love. Then, I wrap it up in a braided puff pastry and bake it until golden and flaky. Finally, it’s drizzled with a simple vanilla glaze. It’s easy and delicious. It doesn’t get any better than that!
Why You’ll Love This Raspberry Pastry Recipe
- The combination of flavors is incredible. The tartness of the raspberries is perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the cream cheese filling, and the flakiness of the pastry adds richness and texture to the dessert.
- It’s the perfect seasonal dessert during the spring and summer and a great way to enjoy the flavors of the season.
- It’s a delicious raspberry dessert that is definitely a crowd-pleaser and it gets rave reviews every time it’s made.
Raspberry Pastry Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make the fillings, and the pastry dough is ready-made. You’ll find everything you need either in your kitchen or a quick trip to the grocery store away!
- Fresh raspberries are the star of the show. They are both sweet and tart and create the delicious filling for the dessert.
- Granulated sugar helps to sweeten the raspberry filling and the cream cheese filling.
- Cornstarch helps to thicken the raspberry filling.
- Cream cheese is used to create a rich and creamy filling.
- Egg yolk provides richness and helps bind the other ingredients.
- Lemon juice adds flavor to the filling
- Vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor of the cream cheese filling.
- Powdered sugar is used to create the sweet glaze that is drizzled over the pastry.
- Milk helps thin out the powdered sugar and creates a creamy, smooth glaze.
- Puff pastry sheets are light and flaky, and provides the base of the pastry dessert.
- Large egg is mixed with water to create the egg wash and it is what gives the pastry it’s golden brown crust and shine.
How to Make Raspberry Pastry
Although this braided pastry looks fancy, it’s actually very easy to make. It just takes a little stovetop work and some cutting. That’s it!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Make the Raspberry Filling
Combine raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix the water and cornstarch together and add to the raspberry mixture. Cook on low for 5 to 7 minutes until the mixture has thickened, then set aside to cool.
Step 3: Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until fluffy – about 2 to 3 minutes. Then, add the sugar, egg yok, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
Step 4: Fill
On a lightly floured surface, gently roll out the puff pastry a few times until square. Add half the cream cheese mixture to each square, leaving about 1 ½ inches of space at each end Then, top with 3 heaping tablespoons of cooled raspberry mixture.
Step 5: Cut and Fold
Cut two 1-inch long slits at each end of the pastry and fold them over the top of the filling. Then, cut off the to and bottom side pieces on an angle (see photo). Continue to make cuts into the pastry dough along each side, making sure not to cut too close to the filling. Fold the pieces of dough over one another in a braid pattern.
Step 6: Bake
Brush egg wash over the pastry and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
Step 7: Drizzle
Stir the powdered sugar and milk together in a small bowl. Then, drizzle over the pastry. Enjoy!
- Stir continuously when making the raspberry mixture to prevent scorching.
- Fully soften the cream cheese for the easiest creaming and the best filling texture.
- Be careful to leave a little space between your cuts and the filling so it doesn’t leak out while baking.
- Use fresh berries like blueberries, blackberries or strawberries for this recipe.
- Try topping your pastry with chopped nuts before baking.
- Can sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking.
- For a delicious twist, use a mix of half cream cheese and half ricotta cheese for the filling.
What to Serve with Raspberry Puff Pastry
This pastry is fantastic with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. You can also serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or with ice cream.
Phyllo dough and puff pastry are entirely different. Puff pastry is a laminated pastry dough made with alternating layers of dough and butter, while phyllo dough is a stretched dough made with oil rather than butter and stretched thin.
Absolutely! Like all berries, raspberries make excellent fillings for pies, tarts, and pastries, as well as wonderful additions to quick breads and other baked goods.
Yes, you can. Assemble your pastry, then cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake and serve it.
Frozen raspberries taste almost the same, although they might be a bit sweeter. When fruit is frozen, the water in the fruit expands and the cells burst, releasing more of the natural sugars.
The only real difference is the thickness. Pastry sheets are already rolled out and ready, while blocks are, well, blocks. They’re thicker and need to be rolled out for use.
How to Store Leftover Raspberry Puff Pastry
Store the pastry in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to a month in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Try This Delicious Raspberry Puff Pastry Recipe Today
This raspberry puff pastry is full of sweet raspberry filling and sweet and tangy cream cheese filling. Then, it’s braided and baked to golden, flaky perfection. It’s a delicious pastry that looks fancy, but it’s really so easy to make. Give it a try, and I know you’ll make it a permanent part of your recipe collection.
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add raspberries and sugar. Stir
- Mix water and cornstarch together until combined and add to the raspberry mixture.
- Cook on low for 5-7 minutes or until the raspberry mixture has thickened. Set aside to cool.
Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, egg yolk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
Cut the Pastry Dough
- Gently roll puff pastry a few times until square on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon half of the cream cheese mixture down the center of each puff pastry leaving about 1½ inch free from filling at each end.
- Once the raspberry mixture has cooled, add about three heaping tablespoons of mixture on top of the cream cheese filling, gently spread, then repeat with the other puff pastry.
- See photo: cut two slits at each end of the pastry about 1 inch long and fold over the top of the filling and secure to prevent mixture from leaking out.
- Next cut off the top and bottom side pieces at an angle (see above photo) and continue to make cuts into the pastry along each side making sure not to cut too close to the filling.
- Once the ends have been secured, start folding each piece over each other like a braid and secure.
- Mix egg and water together
- Brush egg wash over both pastries and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, stir powdered sugar and milk together. Drizzle over pastry when cool enough.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.