The classic Chinese egg roll gets a revamp! These Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Rolls are a tasty, sweet twist on a traditional favorite!
If you’re looking for a unique dessert to serve family and friends, then you’ve come to the right place. These delicious dessert egg rolls are filled with the classic, sweet and tangy flavors of fruit and cream cheese filling that we love in pastries. However, instead of puff pastry, these fillings are wrapped up in egg roll wrappers and pan fried until crispy and golden. It’s a delicious take on dessert that everyone will love. I should know, I’ve been making these for a few years, now, and everyone always loves them.
Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Rolls
These delicious dessert egg rolls start with a homemade cherry filling that’s deliciously sweet. Then, I make a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling to create that classic pastry flavor profile. Finally, I fill up egg roll wrappers, wrap them up, and pan fry them in just enough oil until they get crispy and golden. The entire process is quick and easy, and when it’s all said and done, I have one of the most delicious sweet treats in my recipe collection. I love to serve them as fun desserts and snacks, and I even bring double and triple batches to parties and potlucks. And when I do, I never have leftovers.
Why You’ll Love This Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Roll Recipe
- The sweet and tart cherries are complemented by the creamy cream cheese mixture for a unique and delicious combination of flavors.
- They are easy to make and only require a few simple ingredients.
- The deep fried crispy crust combined with the cherries and cream cheese is a satisfying and enjoyable treat.
Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Rolls Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and most of them are probably already in your kitchen. Anything you don’t have is waiting for you at your local grocery store. Even the egg roll wrappers are now readily available pretty much everywhere.
- Fresh cherries are a sweet and tart fruit that pairs well with the cream cheese.
- Sugar add sweetness to the cream cheese mixture and helps balance out the tartness of the cherries.
- Lemon zest adds a fresh tart flavor to the egg rolls that complements the sweetness of the cherries.
- Lemon juice adds flavor to the cherries and the cream cheese filling, and helps cut through the richness of the cream cheese.
- Water helps dissolve the cornstarch and helps to thicken the cherry filling.
- Cornstarch is a thickener that helps create a smooth filling, and helps prevent the filling from becoming to runny.
- Cream cheese is a rich and creamy cheese that is the base of the filling.
- Vanilla extract adds a sweet flavor to the filling and helps balance out the tartness of the cherries.
- Egg roll wrappers are thin, pliable sheets of dough that are used to wrap the filling.
- Vegetable oil is a neutral-flavored oil used to fry the egg rolls.
- Powdered sugar is used to dust the egg rolls after frying, and it adds a sweet and delicate flavor to the egg rolls.
How to Make Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Rolls
Making these delicious and sweet egg rolls is incredibly easy. Both of the fillings come together quickly and easily, and wrapping and frying the egg rolls is a snap, as well. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Make the Cherry Filling
Add the cherries, sugar, 3 tablespoons of water, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes after the mixture comes to a boil. Then, mix the remaining water and cornstarch in a small bowl and add it to the cherries. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Then, remove the filling from the heat and let it cool.
Step 2: Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Beat the cream cheese with a electric mixer in a medium bowl until fluffy – about 2 to 3 minutes. Then, add the sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and beat for another 2 minutes.
Step 3: Fill
Add a couple of tablespoons of the cream cheese filling to the center of wrapper. Then top the cream cheese mixture with a heaping spoonful of the cherry filling.
Step 4: Wrap
Dip your finger into water and rub the edges of the wrapper to help it seal. Then, tightly fold in the sides over the filling. next, roll the front edge up over the filling and towards the back, pressing gently to seal.
Step 5: Fry
Heat the oil in a large skillet or heavy frying pan over medium heat until it reaches 375 degrees. Then, add the egg rolls a few at a time and cook for a few minutes per side until the wrappers are golden brown. Transfer the egg rolls to a plate lined with paper towels to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
- Stir your cherry mixture constantly while it cooks to prevent scorching.
- Fully soften your cream cheese before creaming. Otherwise, you’ll end up with small bits of raw cream cheese in your filling.
- Only slightly moisten the edges of the egg roll wrappers with a damp finger. There’s no need to drown them, and in fact, it can make them too soggy.
- Use your favorite berries for the fruit filling
- Try using diced fruits like apples, pineapple, pears, and peaches for the fruit filling.
- Sprinkle a few chopped nuts on the filling before sealing up your wrappers for more texture and flavor.
- You can air fry the egg rolls if you prefer.
What to Serve with Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Rolls
Just like pastries, these dessert egg rolls are perfect with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. They’re also wonderful with a bit of whipped cream on top or serve alongside a scoop of ice cream.
The biggest culprit for soggy egg rolls is frying them before the oil is hot enough. If the oil isn’t hot enough, the egg roll wrappers absorb it, becoming soggy and greasy rather than crispy.
While egg rolls can be frozen either before or after frying, I prefer to freeze them before frying. That way, I can defrost them and make them fresh for family and friends.
Place the egg rolls on a sheet pan and cover it with plastic wrap. Then, freeze the egg rolls until solid. Transfer them to a heavy-duty freezer bag and store in the freezer.
To cook egg rolls from frozen, place them on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet. Then, bake them for 20 minutes at 375, turning them over halfway through baking.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Cherry Egg Rolls
Place the egg rolls in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For longer storage, place them on a baking sheet, cover it with plastic wrap and freeze the egg rolls until solid. Then, store them for up to a month in the freezer in a heavy-duty freezer bag.
To reheat the egg rolls, place the frozen egg rolls on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. To reheat in the air fryer, spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray and place the leftover egg in the basket, and place in 390° preheated air fryer for 4-6 minutes.
Try This Delicious Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Roll Recipe Today
These delicious cherry cream cheese egg rolls take classic pastry filling and serves it up in a unique way that your family will love. You’ll love how easy it is to make, too! In just a few minutes, you’ll have dessert egg rolls that are crispy on the outside and exploding with cherry and cream cheese flavors on the inside. Give this recipe a try, and I can guarantee it will become a regular part of your dessert rotation.
Cherry Cream Cheese Egg Rolls
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add cherries, sugar, 3 tablespoons water, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir and cook the cherries for approximately 3-4 minutes after coming to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining water and cornstarch until combined then add to the cherry mixture.
- Continue stirring until the cherry mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
Assembling the Egg Rolls
- Add a couple tablespoons of cream cheese mixture, in the center of the egg roll wrapper followed by a heaping spoonful of the cherry filling on top of the cream cheese filling.
- Using your fingers, dip your finger into water and rub water along the edges of the wrapper (this will help seal the egg roll closed).
- Tightly fold in sides over the filling and then roll the front edge up over the filling and towards the back.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, or frying pan to 375 degrees.
- Add egg rolls, a few at a time, to pan and cook for a few minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.