This cherry coffee cake is an old-fashioned recipe that is easy to make and is always a hit. Made with cherry pie filling, this coffee cake is perfect for potlucks, family gatherings or a midday snack.
If you’re looking for a coffee cake that’s a bit different and absolutely delicious, then look no further. I’ve got a winner for you. This delicious coffee cake uses simple ingredients to create a sweet snack that has everything we love in traditional coffee cake with a kick of extra sweetness and ooey gooey texture that everyone always loves. I know because I’ve been making it for several years. I came across this recipe when my kids were still in school, and I thought it would make a great dessert, snack, or sweet breakfast. And it totally did. It also made a fantastic after-school snack for the kids and their friends. That’s why I ended up making double batches of it. It pulled triple duty as a dessert, sweet breakfast, and snack. Once you make it, I think you’ll find yourself making it in batches, as well!
Cherry Coffee Cake
This delicious coffee cake is a super moist and sweet take on one of our favorite classic quick breads. It starts with an easy, classic coffee cake dough mix. Then, it’s topped with a crumb mixture and cherry pie filling and baked to perfection. What you end up with is a dessert that’s the perfect fusion of cherry pie and coffee cake, two of the most classic desserts ever made. It’s this fusion of flavor and texture that makes this recipe to incredibly delicious and super popular with just about everyone who eats it.
Why You’ll Love This Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe
- It’s a super easy homemade recipe that combines cherry pie and coffee cake into one amazingly delicious dessert.
- It only takes a few simple ingredients, most of which are probably already in your pantry.
- It’s super versatile, and the pie filling can be switched out to suit your tastes.
- It makes a great dessert, sweet breakfast, or afternoon snack.
Tips and Variations
- To measure flour perfectly, scoop it gently into the measuring cup with a spoon, then level it off with the flat of a knife. This prevents packing the flour into the measuring cup.
- Be sure your butter is fully softened when creaming it to ensure complete incorporation.
- To get the best texture in your topping, be sure your butter is very cold when you cut it into the other ingredients.
- You can use your favorite pie filling in this recipe to change the flavor.
- Try adding your favorite mix-ins like chocolate chips or nuts to your coffee cake dough.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make this with fresh cherries?
Absolutely. Make the homemade cherry pie filling and use it in place of canned.
Does cherry coffee cake have to be refrigerated?
In the short-term, no. But if you think it won’t be eaten within 2 days, refrigerate it for longer storage.
How long will coffee cake last?
It will keep for a couple of days on the counter covered at room temperature. For longer storage, you can refrigerate it for up to a week in an air-tight container.
Can you freeze cherry coffee cake?
You sure can. both coffee cake and cherry pie can be frozen for up to 6 months, and this cherry coffee cake can be frozen for about that long, as well.
What kind of cherries do you use for cakes?
Maraschino cherries are usually used in cakes because of their sweetness and moisture.
What kind of cherries are used in pies?
Either sweet or tart cherries can be used in pies, depending on your preference. Sweet cherries make for a far sweeter filling, while tart cherries make a filling that has a more complex flavor of sweet and tart.
How to Store Leftover Coffee Cake
Store it covered with plastic wrap on the counter for a couple of days or in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 6 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Cherry Coffee Cake Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic ingredients to make the coffee cake, filling, and topping. They’re easily found at your local grocery store.
- All-purpose flour
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Cherry pie filling
For all of the ingredients needed and exact measurements, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Cherry Coffee Cake
Making this coffee cake is just as easy as shopping for the ingredients. You’ll only need a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Coffee Cake Ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add the butter, milk, egg, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Step 3: Make the Crumble Mixture
In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and butter together using a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Step 4: Layer and Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Then, sprinkle half the crumble mixture over the batter. Top with cherry pie filling and another layer of the remaining crumble. Bake for an hour or until the top is light brown. Let cool and enjoy!
Try This Easy Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe Today
This delicious cherry coffee cake combines the great flavors of coffee cake and cherry pie into one sweet treat that’s impossible to beat. With delicious flavors and textures like this recipe offers, it’s no wonder everyone always eats every last bit of it when I serve it. Give it a try, and I think you’ll watch yours disappear, as well.
More Delicious Cake Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake – This delicious cake has mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiched in between two layers of homemade chocolate cake and topped with hot fudge, whipped cream and a cherry.
Butter Pecan Pound Cake – This delicious pound cake recipe is rich and loaded with chopped pecans, frosted with a cream cheese frosting and more chopped pecans on the frosting. So good!
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – This delicious pumpkin cake is moist and is frosted with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting and is a great fall dessert that you are certainly going to enjoy.
And, here is a Cinnamon Streusel Cake from Great Grub, Delicious Treats that you will enjoy too.
Cherry Coffee Cake
For the Coffee Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
For the Coffee Cake
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add butter, milk, egg and vanilla extract and mix just until combined.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
For the Crumb Filling and Topping
- In a small bowl, using a pastry cutter or a fork, combine flour, sugar and butter together until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the mixture over the batter.
- Spread cherry pie filling over the crumbs and then add the remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the top is light brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut into squares.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.