This decadent chocolate mint fudge cake has mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiched between two layers of homemade chocolate cake, then topped with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, and a cherry. An absolutely delicious dessert the whole family is going to enjoy!
If you love ice cream cake, then look no further. You’ve just found one of the best ice cream cake recipes you’ll ever make. This delicious chocolate mint fudge cake is one of my signature recipes. During the summer months, I often make this one for dessert or just to have on hand for snacking. I also love to bring it to potlucks so everyone can have a little slice of frozen Heaven. I’ve been making this recipe for a long time now, and it’s all thanks to my love of store-bought ice cream cakes.
For years, if you asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday, the answer you’d most likely get would be an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins. I’ve always loved the combination of cake and ice cream rolled up into one delicious frozen dessert. One day it occurred to me that I should just make my own rather than buy one. After all, I’m a cook, aren’t I? I have a food blog, don’t I? What the heck was I doing waiting around for some special occasion when I could just make my own. And that’s what I’ve been doing ever since.
Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake
This chocolate mint fudge cake is everything you’d ever want in an ice cream cake. Every bite is filled with the delicious flavors of chocolate cake and mint chocolate chip ice cream along with hot fudge, whipped cream, and cherries. It’s basically a sundae in every bite! It’s the perfect treat for any party or just because. And even though it’s homemade, it’s so easy to make, you really can whip it up whenever you feel like it.
Tips and Variations
This recipe is quite easy, but I do have some tips to make sure you have the best possible outcome with this tasty cake. I also have some fun variations that will allow you to make multiple kinds of cakes from this one recipe.
- Make sure your cake is completely cool before adding the ice cream to prevent excess melting as you work.
- After constructing the cake place it in the freezer immediately.
- When slicing the cake, apply smooth, even pressure so you don’t break up the cake and the ice cream.
- Use your favorite ice cream for the center of this cake. Any flavor works.
- You can use any cake flavor you like, as well.
- Mix and match ice cream and cake flavors for an almost endless variety of ice cream cakes.
- Use all your favorite toppings on this cake from hot fudge to caramel sauce, nuts, and anything else you love.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about this chocolate mint fudge cake, then I have answers. The following FAQ answers all the most commonly asked questions about ice cream cake.
Why was ice cream cake invented?
It’s actually a descendant of Victoria-era trifles. During that time, trifles were molded into various shapes, and to keep the ice cream in place, the molds were lined with sponge biscuits. Over time, that concept evolved into what we know as ice cream cake.
Why is this cake called chocolate fudge cake?
It’s topped with hot fudge sauce. It’s also a variation of a Bob Big Boy Hot Fudge cake copycat recipe.
Will a box mix work for this recipe?
It absolutely will. I just enjoy making a homemade cake. If you prefer to use a box mix, go for it.
How long is ice cream cake good?
Ice cream cake like this chocolate mint fudge cake will last for about 7 days in the freezer.
How to Store and Serve Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake
Store this cake in an air-tight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to a week. To serve, remove it from the freezer, and gently slice it length-wise, then again crosswise to created slices.
Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake Ingredients
It only takes basic baking ingredients along with store bought ice cream to make this recipe. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
For the Cake
- All purpose flour
- Hershey’s® Special Dark chocolate cocoa
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Large eggs
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Boiling water
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Optional: mini chocolate chips, chocolate shavings
- Whipped cream
- Hot fudge
- Maraschino cherries
How to Make Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake
It’s not as hard as you might think to make this recipe. The chocolate cake is a basic recipe, and the ice cream filling uses store bought ice cream. Even beginners will have no trouble with this recipe.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 cake pan with foil with the edges hanging over.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, dark cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla together until combined. Then, add boiling water to the wet ingredients and stir.
Step 4: Mix the Batter
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients mixture and mix with a hand mixer on medium speed until combined.
Step 5: Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Carefully remove from the oven.
Step 6: Cut and Cool
When the aluminum foil is cool enough to handle, grab both sides of the foil and carefully remove the cake from the baking dish and place it on a hard surface. Then, carefully cut the cake evenly in half lengthwise. Let the two halves of the cake cool completely.
Step 7: Construct the Cake
Remove the ice cream from the freezer and cut it into ¾-inch to 1-inch slices. Place the ice cream evenly over the bottom half of the cake and fill in any bare spots until the entire surface of the cake is covered. Then, place the top layer of the cake on top of the ice cream. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and place in the freezer until ready to serve.
Step 8: Serve
When ready to serve the chocolate mint fudge cake, remove it from the freezer and cut it into the desired size slices. Pour warm fudge sauce over the cake slices and top with whipped cream and a cherry.
Try This Delicious Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake Today
This super tasty chocolate mint fudge cake is loaded with all the flavors that we love in ice cream cake, and it’s so easy to make, too. That’s the perfect combination if you ask me. Give this one a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it far more often than you might have thought!
More Delicious Cake Recipes
Mini Red Velvet Cakes – These cakes are layered with dense and rich red velvet cake and a sweet cream cheese frosting. They’re perfect for parties, easy desserts, or a great treat for the kids.
Butter Pecan Pound Cake – This cake is rich, moist, and loaded with chopped pecans and topped with a cream cheese frosting.
Carrot Cake – This super moist carrot cake is loaded with pineapple, coconut, orange zest, and crunchy walnuts for a taste of the tropics in every bite. It’s frosted with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
And, here is a delicious Strawberry Shortcake recipe from Great Grub Delicious Treats. It’s a delicious white cake that is layered with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
Chocolate Mint Fudge Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 baking dish with foil with edges hanging over.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla together until combined.
- Add boiling water to wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and use an electric mixer on medium speed to mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Grab both sides of foil and carefully pick up cake out of baking dish and place on a hard surface.
- Slice cake in half lengthwise.
- Carefully remove top layer then add bottom with foil back into baking dish.
- Remove ice cream from freezer and slice into ¾ -1 inch thick pieces.
- Place ice cream evenly over bottom piece of cake and fill in any bare spots so the whole cake is covered with ice cream.
- Place the top layer of cake back on top of the ice cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, remove from freezer and cut into desired sizes.
- Pour hot fudge sauce over the slices of cake, top with whipped cream and a cherry.