Chicken Cordon Bleu with broccoli is a fancy dish filled with tender, juicy chicken, fresh broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese, rolled up and baked, then covered in a creamy sauce. A delicious chicken roll-up recipe you are going to enjoy.
I love making chicken cordon bleu. What I don’t love is cleaning up after it. Whether you deep fry it or pan fry it, you’re going to end up with a mess. That is, unless, you bake it! That’s my secret weapon to get all the flavor and texture I love in the recipe without all the greasy cleanup. With everything I have going on in my life, cleaning up a bunch of smeary grease is just not an option. Changing from frying to baking this dish has been a huge game-changer for me. This dish is one of my favorites for family dinners or potlucks because it’s so easy and delicious. It also just feels fancy, which makes it perfect for any gathering at all.
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli
Chicken cordon bleu with broccoli takes the classic combination of this chicken recipe and combines it with broccoli in a totally new way. Chicken breasts are pounded out and then rolled up with sharp cheddar cheese and broccoli. Then it’s coated in a seasoned breading and baked to delicious golden perfection. We gild the lily by topping it with a creamy Dijon sauce that adds so much flavor and richness to the dish.
Why You’ll Love Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli
- It’s a delicious baked chicken recipe that uses simple ingredients.
- It might not look pretty, but this family favorite has a flavor that more than makes up for that.
- Tender, juicy chicken is stuffed with broccoli and cheese and then baked and covered in a creamy sauce.
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli Tips and Variations
This recipe is quite easy to make, but as with any recipe, there are some tips to make it the best it can be. I also have some great variations that you can try, as well.
- Gently tap the chicken breasts when dredging them to ensure you get the perfect coating.
- Always whisk continuously when making the Dijon sauce to prevent burning.
- Try using any of your favorite cheeses in this recipe.
- Add cayenne to the flour for a kick of heat.
- You can use veal or pork in place of the chicken.
How to Flatten Chicken Breasts
Place the chicken breast between two layers of plastic wrap. Then, using the flat side of a meat mallet, begin pounding the chicken gently. Start in the center and work your way outward to the edges.
What to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli
- Green beans
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted potatoes
- Roasted vegetables
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about chicken cordon bleu.
What is chicken cordon bleu?
It’s a dish of flattened chicken that’s rolled up with cheese and traditionally ham. It’s then breaded and pan fried or deep fried. It can also be made with veal or pork.
How do you close stuffed chicken?
To keep your stuffed or rolled chicken close, try using toothpicks. You can also use food twine to tie them together. Freeze the chicken for 10 minutes to help keep it secure, as well.
What is the best way to stuff chicken breast?
If you’re stuffing and not rolling, as this recipe calls for, the best way is to place the flat of your hand on top of your chicken breast. Then, using a sharp knife, pierce the side of the chicken breast at its thickest point. Push into the breast about ¾ of the way and then cut toward the end until you’re about ½ inch away from the edge. Repeat toward the other edge, always maintaining that ¾ depth.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli
You can store this chicken in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Open-air freeze the chicken, then place it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container.
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli Ingredients
This recipe only uses simple ingredients that you can find easily at your local grocery store.
For the Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- All purpose flour
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Large egg
- Plain breadcrumbs
For the Dijon Cream Sauce
- Whole milk
- All purpose flour
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli
Making this recipe is so easy. It only takes a few simple steps!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and set it aside. Then, pound out the chicken breasts to uniform thickness by covering them with plastic wrap and using the flat side of a meat mallet.
Step 2: Make the Dredging Station
Add flour to a shallow bowl. Then, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together in another shallow bowl. Finally, combine the breadcrumbs and seasonings in a third shallow bowl.
Step 3: Stuff the Chicken
Place two pieces of cheese on top of each chicken breast. Then add ½ cup of broccoli. Tightly roll up the chicken and place the breasts on a plate with the seam side down.
Step 4: Coat the Chicken
Roll each chicken breast in the flour, followed by the egg mixture, and then the breadcrumb mixture.
Step 5: Bake
Place each chicken breast into the baking dish and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Step 6: Make the Sauce
While the chicken is baking, melt butter in a skillet or frying pan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat. Then, ad the milk, whisking continuously until the sauce comes together. Next, add the parmesan and garlic powder, whisking constantly until the cheese is melted. Add the Dijon mustard and simmer the sauce, whisking continuously until it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Step 7: Serve
Remove the cooked chicken, pour the sauce over it, and enjoy with your favorite side dishes.
Try This Chicken Broccoli Cordon Bleu Today
This delicious recipe is cheesy and loaded with flavor. The tender chicken breast wrapped around that sharp cheddar cheese and broccoli and then coated and baked to golden brown perfection just cannot be beaten, especially when you consider how easy it is to make! If you give this one a try, I can guarantee you’ll find that you feature it heavily in your dinner or potluck rotation.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Southwest Chicken Wraps – These chicken wraps have all the delicious Southwest flavor starting with a delicious corn salsa, chicken, lettuce and a homemade avocado ranch dressing.
Crockpot Crack Chicken Sandwiches – Tender deliciously seasoned shredded chicken that is slow cooked with ranch dressing, cream cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese made into sliders. So good.
Honey Butter Chicken Biscuits – These delicious buttermilk biscuits are topped with crispy fried chicken tenders and a delicious honey butter. The perfect breakfast recipe.
And, here is a Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas recipe, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that you might enjoy too!
Chicken Cordon Bleu with Broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pound each chicken breast, in between plastic wrap or parchment paper, until thin with even thickness.
- Place two pieces of cheese on each chicken breast, followed by ½ cup of broccoli. Tightly roll chicken up and place on a plate, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Set up the dredging station with three shallow bowls or containers.
- In the first bowl, add flour, and in the second bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together.
- In the third bowl, whisk breadcrumbs and seasonings together.
- Roll one chicken breast at a time into the flour, then the egg mixture and lastly, the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place coated chicken into the prepared baking dish seam side down.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165° then carefully remove from the oven.
- While the chicken is baking, make the sauce.
- In a skillet or frying pan, melt butter then stir in flour until combined. Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Slowly whisk milk into skillet and stir until sauce comes together.
- Add Parmesan cheese and garlic powder, stir constantly until cheese is melted then add Dijon mustard.
- Simmer sauce until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour sauce over chicken and enjoy with your favorite side dishes.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.