This blackberry cream cheese puff pastry recipe is filled with a sweet cream cheese mixture, fresh blackberry filling, baked to golden flaky perfection, and drizzled with glaze. A favorite blackberry pastry recipe the whole family will enjoy.
I love pastries. When I’m rushed and need to bring something to a party, I’ll stop by the bakery and grab an order of something fruity and filled with cream cheese for everyone to enjoy. When I’m not rushed, I love to make my own pastries. Even though I’m not pressed for time, I still want something that’s easy as well as delicious. That’s why I love these blackberry pastries. They’re easy to make and they’re so sweet and delicious. They’re the perfect treat for any occasion from weeknight desserts to sweet breakfasts, afternoon snacks, or an addition to any potluck.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry
This delicious dessert starts with ready-made puff pastry sheets to keep things simple. Then, it’s topped with a homemade cream cheese mixture and then a homemade blackberry filling. It’s rich, sweet, and delicious, and the smooth, sweet filling pairs perfectly with the light, flaky, golden brown puff pastry. It’s also super easy to make, which is a huge bonus. Although both fillings are made from scratch, they take very little effort or know-how. It’s a perfect recipe for both seasoned and beginning cooks, and it’s always a huge hit with everyone.
Why You’ll Love This Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Recipe
- It uses simple ingredients that are easily found at your local grocery store.
- It’s filled with sweet cream cheese and blackberry fillings.
- It’s a favorite pastry recipe that’s easy to make and everyone loves.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Tips and Variations
This is an extremely easy recipe to make, even though it looks a bit fancy. However, even easy recipes have their little secrets, and I’m sharing those. I also have some great variations that I think you’re going to love.
- Be sure your cream cheese is fully softened so it blends perfectly. Otherwise, you can end up with chunks of cream cheese in your mixture.
- Understand that golden brown is more gold than brown. So many people overcook their food because they think golden brown is darker than it really is.
- Always let your pastries cool before adding the glaze. Otherwise, it will just slide right off of them.
- Use your favorite pie filling to change the flavor of these pastries.
- Omit the lemon juice from the glaze to make a simple vanilla glaze when you use various pie fillings.
- Make any of your favorite fruit competes to add to this pastry. Other berries, apples, pineapple, and more all work well.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about these pastries.
What can I make with puff pastry sheets?
You can make all kinds of delicious recipes, sweet or savory, with puff pastry sheets.
- Beef wellington
- Baked brie in puff pastry
- Ham and cheese pinwheels
- Pigs in a blanket
- Mini pies
Can you use old puff pastry?
You can. Your frozen puff pastry will have a “best by” date, but this date is for peak quality, not safety. You can use puff pastry that is outdated by as much as six months. The quality won’t be as good, but it can be done. I don’t recommend it, however.
What goes well with blackberry pastries?
Serve your blackberry pastries with a dessert wine if you’re feeling fancy. If you’re serving a crowd, pair them with other pastries to make a lovely pastry table with tons of variety. They also make great desserts after almost any meal. Finally, have a sweet breakfast with some coffee in the morning.
Do you warm up Danishes?
You don’t have to. They’re delicious both at room temperature or heated up. If you prefer your Danish warm, simply wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it for 3 to 4 minutes at 350 degrees.
How to Store Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry
You can store these in the refrigerator for up to 7 days in an airtight container.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Ingredients
While this recipe does have a few ingredients, they’re all very simple. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Puff pastry sheets
- Fresh blackberries
- Lemon juice
- Cream cheese
- Egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
- Large egg
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastries
Making this recipe might appear daunting at first, but when you break it all down, it’s incredibly simple. Each of the fillings is very easy to make, and so is the glaze.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside. Then, cut each pastry sheet into 8 strips.
Step 2: Make the Blackberry Filling
Add the blackberries, lemon juice, and sugar to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture begins to form a sauce. Then, mix cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl and add it to the blackberry mixture. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Then remove it from the heat and let it cool.
Step 3: Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy in a medium bowl. Then, add the egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat for 2 more minutes.
Step 4: Make the Puff Pastry Base
Take two strips of puff pastry and pinch the ends together to create one long strip. Twist the strip until it forms a sort of braided piece. Place one end of the long, twisted strip down onto the parchment paper and wrap the dough around it, starting in the center and creating a pinwheel base. Poke the center 4 to 5 times with a fork.
Step 5: Add the Filling
Add a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture to the center of each puff pastry followed by a spoonful of blackberry filling.
Step 6: Egg Wash and Bake
Whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl. Then, brush each pastry with the egg wash and bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the pastries and let them cool.
Step 7: Glaze
While the pastries cool, mix the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla together. Then drizzle each of the cooled pastries with the glaze and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Blackberry Cream Cheese Pastries Today
This blackberry cream cheese puff pastry is absolutely delicious and incredibly easy to make. Using packaged puff pastry ensures a fluffy, flaky, golden brown base every time, and the homemade fillings are rich, sweet, and so simple. These look like they took hours, but you’ll actually be in and out of the kitchen in no time. Give them a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making these all the time for desserts and breakfasts the next morning!
More Delicious Desserts You’ll Enjoy
Lemon Pretzel Dessert – Here is a sweet & salty, delicious, lemon dessert that has a pretzel crust, a sweet cream cheese filling and topped with lemon pie filling. So good and refreshing.
Cherry Cream Cheese Danish – A delicious summer dessert that is filled with a cream cheese mixture, cherry filling, all baked in a flaky crust, and topped with a sweet glaze.
Peach Pretzel Dessert – This is a sweet and salty dessert recipe made with peach jello, a creamy cheese layer, and a crushed pretzel crust. It’s an easy no-bake dessert that is perfect for summertime.
Also, try this Blueberry Pastry from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. It’s a super easy dessert recipe that is made with only three simple ingredients and makes the best afternoon snack or dessert.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry
- 2 Puff pastry sheets
For the Blackberry Filling
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- ⅛ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
For the Cream Cheese Mixture
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon water
For the Glaze Drizzle
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
For The Blackberry Filling
- In a small saucepan, add blackberries, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Heat over medium heat until sauce begins to form, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together, then add to blackberries. Stir until thickened then remove for heat and let cool.
For the Puff Pastry
- Cut each pastry sheet into 8 strips.
- Take two strips of puff pastry and pinch the ends together to create one long strip. Twist the strip until it forms a sort of braided piece.
- Place one end of the long, twisted strip down onto the parchment paper and wrap the dough around it, starting in the center and creating a pinwheel base. Poke the center 4 to 5 time with a fork.
For the Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Add a spoonful of cream cheese mixture to the center of each pastry followed by a spoonful of lemon filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and water together until combined.
- Brush each pastry with egg wash.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool
For the Glaze Drizzle
- Once the pastries have cooled, mix powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla together.
- Drizzle each pastry with lemon glaze and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.