Deep fried tortellini is a delicious appetizer recipe made with store-bought cheese tortellini that is coated in a crispy, deliciously seasoned breadcrumb mixture, and fried until golden brown. The crispy coating contrasts perfectly with the soft, gooey filling, making them simply irresistible.
If you’ve never had deep fried tortellini, then you’re missing out! I can’t believe I went so many years having never tried this delicious, cheese-stuffed pasta dish. Oh, it’s so good, you guys! All that cheese on the inside and that crispy, golden breaded crust on the outside. Pure heaven! I only discovered this amazing dish a while ago. I know, I know! I’m late to the party as so many have told me. BUT I’m here now, and I’m in love. I’ve been making this at least every other week since I first tried it, and I want all of you to know the breaded, crispy, fried goodness that is deep fried tortellini, as well.
This delicious semi-homemade dish starts with frozen cheese tortellini that I thaw. Then, I coat the pasta in a breadcrumb coating and deep fry them until they’re ooey and gooey on the inside and crispy and crunchy on the outside. The entire process only takes about 30 minutes, so it’s the perfect appetizer for any occasion. Or heck, you can even make a meal of them. I know I have!
Why You’ll Love This Fried Tortellini Recipe
- They’re crispy and golden on the outside, and soft and gooey on the inside.
- They are easy to make and do not require a lot of ingredients.
- They are versatile and can be served as an appetizer, midday snack, or as a main course.
- They’re also great to serve as part of a larger meal, or added to a charcuterie board.
Fried Tortellini Ingredients
You’ll only need a scant few ingredients to make this recipe, and you’ll find them all either in your kitchen or at your local grocery store.
- Frozen cheese tortellini, thawed is a convenient way to save time because you do not need to cook them from scratch. Thawing them before frying will help cook them evenly.
- Panko breadcrumbs are denser and crunchier than regular breadcrumbs, which makes them ideal for frying.
- Italian seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that is commonly used in Italian dishes, and will add flavor to the fried tortellini.
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning is a Cajun seasoning that will add a spicy kick of flavor to the fried tortellini.
- Garlic salt is a blend of garlic powder and salt, and adds garlic flavor to the tortellini.
- Large egg helps to bind the breadcrumb mixture to the tortellini.
- Buttermilk help to tenderize the tortellini and gives it a slightly sour flavor, and when combined with the egg, helps create a binding agent that adheres to the food.
- Vegetable oil has a high smoke point, which means it can be heated to a higher temperature without burning, and is a good choice for deep frying.
How to Make Fried Tortellini
Making this tortellini is just as easy as the ingredient list. It only takes a few simple steps and about 45 minutes total – TOTAL – time!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet or deep fryer.
Step 2: Make the Dredge Station
Stir the breadcrumbs and seasonings together in a shallow bowl. In another bowl whisk the egg and buttermilk together.
Step 3: Coat the Tortellini
Dip the tortellini into the egg mixture and then coat them with the breadcrumb mixture.
Step 4: Fry
Fry the tortellini in small batches until golden brown on both sides. Then, remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the tortellini are fried. Enjoy with marinara sauce!
- Be sure your tortellini is fully thawed before coating and deep frying them so they cook all the way through.
- There’s no need to boil the tortellini before coating and frying them.
- Begin heating your oil before you start making the dredge station. By the time you’re done dredging, the oil will be ready.
- Use your favorite variety of tortellini for this recipe. They all work!
- For an extra spicy version, add a bit of cayenne to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Add some parmesan cheese to the breadcrumb mixture for added flavor.
- You can make this recipe with frozen ravioli, too!
What to Serve with Fried Tortellini
Serve these fried tortellini with a variety of delicious dishes like:
- Garlic bread
- Roasted vegetables
- Stuffed shells
- Chicken gnocchi soup
- Baked ziti
- Pizza pasta
Of course, they’re also delicious when dipped in your favorite marinara or pizza sauce!
Tortellini are ring or naval-shaped pasta that are filled with meat and cheese or simply cheese.
Tortellini freezes very well and will keep for up to 3 months when stored properly.
Yes, you can. Be careful not to cook it for too long or it will become mushy. Al dente is what you want!
Italian sausage is the classic meat pairing for tortellini. It’s also great with grilled chicken or pork chops, as well.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Fried Tortellini
Refrigerate this tortellini for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, flash freeze the tortellini, then place it in single layers separated by parchment paper in an airtight, freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat fried tortellini, place them on a baking sheet and bake at 375 or 10 to 15 minutes until heated through, or place them in the air fryer basket and air fry at 375 for 3-4 minutes.
Try These Delicious Fried Tortellini Bites Today
This fried tortellini recipe is as delicious as it is easy. That’s a good thing because once you try it, you’ll be hooked. The cheesy filling combined with the crispy, crunchy, golden brown outside is something you will hook you from the first bite. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it for every party, potluck, or game night.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Homemade Lasagna is a classic comfort food recipe that is loaded with deliciously seasoned ground beef, lots of cheese, a meat sauce, noodles, and baked to perfection. They perfect dinner recipe that is great for a casual dinner or an elegant dinner party.
Fried Tortellini (Deep Fried Recipe)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet or deep fryer.
- In a shallow bowl or container, stir breadcrumbs and seasonings together until combined.
- In a second shallow container, whisk egg and water together.
- Dip the tortellini into the egg wash and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry in batches. add some tortellini to hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.