This delicious Creamy Tortellini bake is the perfect comfort food recipe made with two types of sauce, a rich, creamy white sauce, and a meaty, tomato base sauce, with lots of mozzarella cheese and cheese-filled tortellini. A cheesy pasta recipe that will be requested often, it’s that good.
Pasta bakes are one of the best dishes you can make when you need to feed a lot of people. Whether you’re headed to a potluck or just making dinner for the family, pasta bakes always satisfy, and they can feed an army. That’s why I love them so much. As a busy mom, I learned early on that dishes like this one saved me a ton of time and made the family happy when they sat down at the dinner table. I took that further and made pasta bakes one of my go-to recipes for parties, as well because they retained their heat for so long and fed so many people. This particular pasta bake is one of my favorites because it’s so creamy and cheesy, and I think you’re going to love it, too.
Creamy Tortellini Bake
This recipe starts with perfectly cooked, al dente tortellini. Then, I add hot Italian sausage to a simple red sauce for a kick of heat. Finally, I make a creamy white sauce, and I layer everything in a baking dish, top it with cheese, and cook it up to ooey, gooey perfection. It’s a hearty, satisfying meal that’s overflowing with flavor, not work. I’m in and out of the kitchen in no time, and I end up with a recipe that everyone loves.
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Tortellini Recipe
- It’s made with a delicious meaty tomato sauce and a creamy white sauce and is absolutely loaded with cheese.
- It’s a delicious pasta recipe that’s very versatile and can be changed up with your favorite pasta, meat, and cheese.
- And, it’s so delicious that everyone will request it again and again.
Creamy Tortellini Bake Tips and Variations
This is an easy recipe, but I do have some tips to help you make it the best it can possibly be. I also have some fun variations that I think you’ll love.
- Always drain your sausage after cooking it to prevent your pasta bake from being greasy.
- Never cook your pasta longer than al dente. You want your pasta to be firm enough to stand up to mixing and baking.
- Omit the red pepper flakes and use mild Italian sausage for a milder pasta bake.
- Try using ground beef in place of Italian sausage.
- Smoked sausage works wonderfully in this recipe.
- Add vegetables like spinach, bell peppers and mushrooms for even more flavor.
What to Serve with Tortellini
The great thing about tortellini is how many things it pairs with. This versatile dish can be served with all kinds of delicious dishes like:
- Garlic marinated mushrooms
- Prosciutto wrapped melon
- Crusty bread or garlic bread
- Side salad
- Grilled chicken
- Braised asparagus
- Your favorite vegetables
Creamy Tortellini Bake FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this creamy tortellini bake.
What goes well with tortellini?
Tortellini is a very versatile dish and can be paired with many of your favorite Italian dishes. Refer to the list above for specifics.
Can you cook tortellini in sauce instead of water?
You can. Be aware, however, that cooking any pasta in sauce will take longer than cooking it in boiling water.
Do you have to boil tortellini before cooking?
Yes. Tortellini should be cooked to al dente before cooking it in any recipe.
Can you make creamy tortellini bake in advance?
Absolutely. You can make this recipe the day before and then reheat it in the oven when you’re ready to bake it the next day.
How long will creamy tortellini bake last in the fridge?
You can store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze leftover tortellini?
Absolutely. Place the bake in an air-tight, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to Store Leftover Creamy Tortellini Bake
Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Creamy Tortellini Bake Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cheese tortellini, I used frozen
For the Meat Sauce
- Ground hot Italian sausage
- Garlic powder
- Slap ya mama
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
For the White Sauce
- All purpose flour
- Heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pasta water
How to Make Creamy Tortellini Bake
Making this recipe is as easy as the ingredient list. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 deep baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Noodles
In a large pot of water, over medium high heat, cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of pasta water, and set aside.
Step 3: Cook the Sausage
Add the Italian sausage and onions to a large skillet or frying pan on medium-high heat. Cook the sausage until it’s no longer pink and the onions are tender. Drain and return to the pan.
Step 4: Make the Meat Sauce
Sprinkle the sausage mixture with seasonings and stir. Then, pour the tomato sauce and tomato paste into the skillet, stir, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally.
Step 5: Make the White Sauce
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then stir in the flour. Pour heavy whipping cream into the pan and stir until combined. Then, add the parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Finally, season with salt and pepper and add the reserved pasta water and stir.
Step 6: Construct the Pasta Bake
Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Pour the pasta and cheese sauce mixture into the baking dish, then top it with the meat top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Step 7: Bake
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Cheesy, Creamy Tortellini Bake Today
Loaded with meat, perfectly cooked pasta, and two kinds of sauce, this creamy tortellini bake will satisfy any pasta lover. The best part is that it’s so easy and you can feed an army with it! If you’re looking for a new dish to serve for family dinner or bring to your next potluck, then give this one a try. Once you try it, you’ll find that it makes a frequent appearance in your recipe rotation.
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Easy One-Pot Goulash – A quick and easy goulash recipe with deliciously seasoned ground beef, corn, cheese, elbow macaroni and more. Easy and delicious.
Homemade Lasagna – Here is an easy lasagna recipe that is hearty, cheesy and delicious and is the perfect comfort food recipe the whole family will love.
Italian Sausage Pasta Bake – This is a deliciously creamy pasta recipe with two types of sauce, a creamy white sauce and a meat sauce. It’s seasoned perfectly, loaded with cheese and baked. Definitely a family favorite pasta recipe.
And, here is a delicious Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that is delicious as well.
Creamy Tortellini Bake
For the Meat Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9 x 13 deep baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook pasta per package directions for al dente.
For the Meat Sauce
- In a large skillet, or frying pan, over medium high heat, cook Italian sausage and onions until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain and return to pan.
- Sprinkle with seasonings, stir.
- Pour tomato sauce and tomato paste into the meat mixture. Stir to combine, cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally.
For the Creamy White Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and then stir in flour.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into the pan and stir until combined.
- Add Parmesan cheese, stir until melted and add salt and pepper.
- Add pasta water to cheese sauce, stir.
- Add cooked tortellini to cheese sauce, stir to combine.
- Pour pasta and cheese sauce into the prepared baking dish followed by the sausage mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.