Cheesy beef pasta is a classic comfort food recipe that is loaded with deliciously seasoned ground beef, a creamy cheesy tomato sauce, and shell pasta. The pasta recipe is the perfect weeknight meal and is a great dish to feed a crowd.
As a busy mom, I was always a fan of simple, hearty meals that were ready quickly and could satisfy a tableful of kids. Now that the kids are gone, I still need recipes like that. My guy may not be a teenager, but he can eat like one at times! I’ve been making this cheesy beef pasta for years because I was never really happy with the boxed version that I tried from the store. This version is homemade, so there are no odd preservatives in it, and it just tastes fresher. It’s a delicious dish for a family meal or to bring to your next potluck.
Cheesy Beef Pasta
This delicious beef and pasta recipe starts with ground beef and zesty seasonings. I then make a creamy tomato sauce. Then, I mix it with cooked shells and add shredded cheese. That’s all there is to it! It’s a hearty dish that’s ready in just a few minutes, and it makes even the biggest eaters full and satisfied. It’s also a budget-friendly meal, which is always a plus, especially these days.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Beef Pasta Recipe
- It’s easy to make and is the perfect weeknight meal for those busy nights when you’re short on time.
- It’s delicious and the combination of flavors is simply irresistible.
- It is versatile and can easily be customized to your family’s liking. For example, you can use different pasta, add vegetables, and you can make it with chicken.
Cheesy Beef Pasta Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe, and you’ll find them all quickly and easily at your local grocery store. Of course, you might not have to shop for much. Most of the ingredients are probably in your kitchen right now.
- Ground beef
- Cloves garlic
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- All purpose flour
- Beef broth
- Tomato sauce
- Heavy cream
- Medium pasta shells
- Sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Cheesy Beef Pasta
Making this recipe is just as easy as the ingredient list. It only takes a skillet for the beef mixture and a pot for the noodles. That’s it. The entire dish only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Cook the Beef and Onions
Cook the ground beef and onions in a large cast-iron skillet or frying pan until the meat is no longer pink, and the onions are tender. Drain and return to the pan. Then, add the seasonings and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
Add flour to the meat mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Then, gradually stir in the broth, tomato sauce, and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens a bit.
Step 3: Cook the Pasta
Cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente.
Step 4: Complete the Dish
Add the pasta and shredded cheese to the skillet, stir, and enjoy!
- Stop cooking the beef as soon as it’s no longer pink. Overcooked ground beef is tough and flavorless.
- Stir frequently when simmering the mixture to prevent sticking.
- Be sure you only cook your noodles to al dente. You don’t want them to get smushy when you mix the dish.
- Resist the urge to add the garlic with the onions and beef. You don’t want it to burn and get bitter.
- You can make this dish with ground pork, turkey, or even chorizo.
- Use your favorite short noodle varieties in this dish.
- For a mild version, simply omit the red pepper flakes.
- Try adding chopped bell peppers and mushrooms.
What to Serve with Cheesy Beef Pasta
Keep things simple when choosing sides for this cheesy beef pasta. It’s a substantial dish so opt for things like:
- Garlic bread
- Side salad
- Your favorite vegetables
Cheesy beef pasta is basically a homemade version of Hamburger Helper, only 100 times better. It’s loaded with ground beef, cheese, pasta, and a creamy tomato sauce.
Yes You can make this dish with ground turkey, pork, or chorizo. You could also use smoked sausage in this recipe.
You can use any kind of short pasta that you like in this recipe. Long pasta won’t work well.
You can store this cheesy beef pasta in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Make the beef sauce and noodles in advance, then refrigerate them for up to 2 days before finishing the dish.
How to Store and Reheat Cheesy Beef Pasta Leftovers
Refrigerate this pasta dish for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the pasta, place it in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until hot.
Try This Delicious Cheesy Beef Pasta Recipe Today
This cheesy beef pasta dish is everything Hamburger Helper wishes it could be, but it’s so much better than that! It’s loaded with ground beef, zesty spices, a rich, cheesy sauce, and perfectly cooked noodles. It’s the perfect dish for family meals or a potluck, and it’s so incredibly easy to make! Give this one a try, and I know you’ll make it a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Creamy Ravioli Recipe is a delicious pasta recipe made with two types of sauce, a creamy white sauce and a meat sauce together making for one incredibly delicious meal the whole family will enjoy.
Cheesy Beef Pasta
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounce medium pasta shells
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large cast-iron skillet or large frying pan, over medium heat, cook ground beef and onions until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are tender. Drain grease and return to the pan.
- Add seasonings and garlic. Stir, and continue cooking for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over the meat mixture, stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in beef broth, tomato sauce and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer, and continue cooking, string frequently until sauce thickens a bit.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Add pasta and shredded cheese into the meat mixture. Stir to combine and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.