Cookie monster cookies are soft and chewy, blue-colored cookies loaded with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, Oreos, and mini chocolate M&Ms. These cookies are perfect for any occasion, such as birthday parties to baby showers to holiday gatherings.
ME WANT COOKIES! That’s a classic line from the Cookie Monster on Sesame Street, and boy, does that statement resonate with me. I love cookies. I mean, I really love them. Well, I took my love of cookies and the sensibilities of the classic Sesame Street character and made these fully loaded Cookie Monster cookies. They’re packed with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, M&Ms, and Oreo cookie pieces, and they’re colored blue to honor the classic cookie-loving monster from our childhoods. They’re chewy, loaded with delicious mix-ins, and just so good!
Cookie Monster Cookies
These cookies start with a simple cookie dough batter made with browned butter. Then, I add blue food coloring to to create a beautiful blue color. Then, I mix in chocolate chips and white chocolate chips, chill the dough, then top with mini M&Ms, and Oreo cookie pieces and bake until they’re soft and chewy. That’s all there is to it. And when I’m all done, I have chewy cookies that are absolutely exploding with chocolate chips and candy. They’re so easy and so good. You can’t beat that combination!
Why You’ll Love This Cookie Monster Cookie Recipe
- They are soft and chewy, made with brown butter cookie dough, loaded with two types of chocolate chips, crushed Oreo cookies, and mini chocolate candies. Can add googly eyes, if desired.
- They’re festive and delicious and are the perfect combination of sweet and salty.
- They are a crowd-pleaser and are sure to be a hit with people of all ages, from kids to adults.
- They’re nostalgic, and remind many people of their childhood.
Cookie Monster Cookies Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple baking ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find most or all of them in your kitchen, and anything you don’t have is just a quick trip to the grocery store away.
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Large egg + 1 egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream
- Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Mini M&Ms
- Optional: candy eyes
How to Make Cookie Monster Cookies
Making these cookies is incredibly easy. It’s a basic cookie dough that only has the extra step of browning the butter and chilling the dough. That’s also easy, by the way!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Brown the Butter
Brown the butter in a frying pan over medium heat until it turns an amber color. Remove it from the heat immediately after it turns amber and pour the butter and brown bits into a medium bowl to cool for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, sour cream, and browned butter until combined.
Step 4: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Step 5: Make the Cookie Dough
Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, beating on low until combined. Then, add a few drops of blue liquid food coloring or blue gel food coloring to obtained the desired color.
Step 6: Add the Mix-Ins
Stir in the chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
Step 7: Chill
Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
Step 8: Scoop and Top
Use a 1-inch cookie scoop to scoop out the dough, roll into balls, and place the cookie dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press the dough down a bit, and top with mini M&Ms and coarsely chopped Oreo cookie pieces.
Step 9: Bake
Bake the cookies for 10 to 11 minutes until the edges start to brown. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Then, place them on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Be sure to remove the butter from the heat as soon as it turns an amber color. Don’t burn it!
- Be sure your eggs are at room temperature for the best mixing and cookie dough texture.
- Don’t skip the chilling process for these cookies. If you don’t chill the dough the cookies will spread too much.
- You can add candy eyes after baking if you like for a more monster look.
- Use your favorite candies in these cookies. They all work!
- If you don’t have sour cream, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt. They taste almost the same and bake exactly the same.
- Add chocolate chip cookie pieces, if desired.
What to Serve with Cookie Monster Cookies
Serve these blue cookie monster cookies with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. They also make a great addition to a larger dessert spread at any gathering. They’re especially nice for Halloween parties if you add googly eyes.
These Cookie Monster cookies are soft, chewy cookies loaded with you favorite mix-ins and colored blue to look like the Cookie Monster.
The dough for these cookies should be chilled before baking to slow their spread as they bake. If not, the cookie dough will spread far too much.
Browning butter for cookies is totally optional. Browning the butter adds a slightly nutty flavor and makes for chewier cookies.
This cookie dough can be frozen and will last for up to a month when stored properly.
Cookie Monster cookies are made with a chewy, soft, brown butter cookie dough, white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, mini M&Ms, and chopped Oreo cookies.
How to Store Leftover Cookie Monster Cookies
These cookies will last for up to a week at room temperature in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze them in single layers separated by parchment paper in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Try These Delicious Cookie Monster Cookies Today
These Cookie Monster cookies are as easy to make as they are delicious. You can’t beat that combo! With a soft, chewy texture, the slight nuttiness of brown butter, and a truckload of mix-ins, these cookies are a cookie lover’s delight. Give these cookies a try, and I know you’ll make them a permanent part of your snack or dessert recipe rotation.
More Delicious Cookie Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These Soft Molasses Cookies are so soft and chewy, and frosted with a molasses frosting, topped with candy sprinkles, and are the perfect bite-size cookie recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Cookie Monster Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 8 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini chocolate candies
- In a frying pan, brown butter over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter turns an amber color. Remove from heat as soon as the butter starts to brown.
- Pour browned butter and brown bits into a medium bowl to cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, egg yolk, vanilla and sour cream with the browned butter until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Beat on low until combined, and add a few drops of blue food coloring to obtain the desired color.
- Stir in chocolate chips and white chocolate chips. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, roll cookie dough and place on an ungreased baking sheet(s).
- Top each cookie with mini chocolate candies and coarsely chopped Oreo pieces.
- Bake cookies for 10-11 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.