These mint chocolate chip cookies are absolutely delicious with the classic flavor combination of mint and chocolate. These cookies are soft and chewy on the inside, with a slightly crispy exterior, and are a favorite, festive cookie the whole family will enjoy.
If you’re a fan of the classic combination of mint and chocolate, then you’re going to love these cookies. These mint chocolate chip cookies are super soft and chewy and explode with mint chocolate chip flavor in every single bite. They’re the perfect dessert or snack, and they’re always a great addition to any party, gathering, or special occasion.
Mint Chocolate Chips
These delicious cookies start with brown butter which makes the cookies extra soft and chewy. After that, I make a classic cookie dough with the addition of a bit of sour cream for even more soft, chewy deliciousness. Finally I mix in a healthy amount of Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips for a huge blast of mint chocolate flavor and bake the cookies until they’re absolutely perfect. When I’m all done, I have some of the softest, chewiest, and mint-a-licious cookies ever!
Why You’ll Love This Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- It’s the perfect balance of mint and chocolate flavor, and the Andes baking chips add a delicious minty flavor without overpowering the chocolate.
- The cookies are soft and chewy on the inside, with a slightly crispy exterior.
- They are perfect for any occasion, whether you are baking for a holiday party, a potluck, or an afternoon snack.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
This recipe uses basic baking ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now. If you love chocolate and mint, you might even have the baking chips in your pantry. Anything you don’t have can be grabbed with no trouble at your local grocery store.
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Large egg + 1 egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream
- Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips
How to Make Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Making these cookies is no more difficult than any other cookie recipe. Even browning the butter is a beginner-friendly process. Easy and delicious. You can’t beat that!
Step 1: Brown the Butter
Cook the butter in a frying pan over medium heat until the butter becomes amber. Remove it from the heat as soon as it starts to brown. Then, pour the butter into a medium bowl and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Add the brown sugar, sugar, egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and sour cream to the brown butter and beat until combined.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
Step 4: Make the Cookie Dough
Gradually add the dry ingredients tot he wet ingredients, beating on low speed until combined. Then, stir in the mint baking chips.
Step 5: Chill
Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
Step 6: Bake
Roll the cookie dough into balls using a 1-inch cookie scoop and place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes at 350 degrees until the edges start to brown.
Step 7: Cool
Remove the cookies from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Then, place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- The perfect color for browned butter is amber, which is a deep brownish yellow color.
- Remove your browned butter from the heat immediately after it becomes an amber color or you’ll burn it.
- Be sure to let the butter cool before adding the other ingredients so you don’t curdle the sour cream or scramble the eggs.
- Chilling the dough is essential for this recipe to avoid excess spread while the cookies bake.
Variations and Substitutions
- If you don’t have sour cream, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt instead. It will work exactly the same.
- Try adding a half and half mixture of Andes baking chips and dark chocolate chips.
- Nuts make a great addition to this recipe.
What to Serve with Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serve these cookies with a glass of ice-cold milk or a cup of coffee or tea. They’re also wonderful as part of a large dessert spread with all you favorites like cookies, cupcakes, and other sweet treats. You can even dip these in dessert dips!
To make chewy cookies, use melted butter, an extra egg yolk, or a bit of sour cream – or a combination of all of them. In addition, removing the cookies when the edges are done and allowing carry-over cooking time to finish baking the centers of the cookies will help keep them chewy.
For crispy cookies, use more white sugar than brown sugar, shortening instead of butter, and bake them longer.
There are a few things that can make your cookies nicely soft and chewy. Brown butter is high on the list because it adds a subtle nuttiness along with making cookies that bake up soft and chewy. Adding an extra egg yolk to your dough can also help make your cookies chewier. Finally, removing the cookies just before they’re done and letting carry-over cooking time finish baking the center will help make your cookies chewier.
Most cookie doughs freeze very well and will last for up to 3 months when tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and foil.
Not all cookie dough needs to be refrigerated before baking. However, doughs that are extra moist will need to be refrigerated prior to baking to control their spread. If you don’t refrigerate them, you’ll end up with super-thin, crepe-like cookies.
Spearmint is the most common type of mint used in mint chocolate chip ice cream and baking chips. Notably, Andes mints use peppermint instead of spearmint.
How to Store Leftover Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. For longer storage, you can freeze them in an airtight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Try These Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies Today
These delicious mint chocolate chip cookies are absolutely decadent, and they’re so easy to make! Simple brown butter makes them so soft and chewy and the Andes baking chips deliver bold chocolate and mint flavors in every single bite. Give this super easy recipe a try, and I know these cookies will have a permanent spot in your recipe collection.
More Delicious Cookie Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Here is a Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie that is rich, decadent, and a chocolate lover’s dream. This huge cookie is packed full with dark chocolate chips and dark chocolate chunks. A 12-inch cookie pie that is perfect for parties, potlucks, or family gatherings.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a frying pan, brown butter over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter turns an amber color. Remove from heat as soon as the butter starts to brown.
- Pour browned butter into a medium bowl and set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, sugar, egg, egg yolk, vanilla and sour cream to the brown butter. Beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt together. Gradually add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat on low speed until combined.
- Stir mint baking chips into cookie dough.
- Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, roll cookie dough into a ball, and place on ungreased baking sheet(s).
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Remove from the oven, let sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.