These delicious oatmeal chocolate chip pecan cookies are soft and chewy, loaded with chocolate chips and chopped pecans, baked to perfection, and are always a favorite cookie recipe.
If you love cookies that are fully loaded, then you’re going to love my oatmeal cookie variation. Over the years, I’ve made all kinds of oatmeal cookies from traditional and plan to recipes like this that are absolutely loaded with all kinds of mix-ins. They’re always a hit because they’re such a classic. Everyone has had and enjoyed oatmeal cookies in one form or another, and because the base is so versatile, almost anything can go into them. That’s one of the big reasons that I’ve made them over and over again over the years. I love to whip up batches of these cookies to keep on hand for snacking and to bring to special events.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
These delicious cookies start with a traditional oatmeal cookie base. Then, I add chocolate chips for even more sweetness and pecans for a rich, earthy flavor and wonderful, crunchy texture. When they all come together, they make a cookie that’s overflowing with tastes and textures that make all your tastebuds happy. They’re so delicious that everyone always comes back for more. It doesn’t hurt that they’re so easy to make, either!
Why You’ll Love This Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie Recipe
- Oatmeal cookies are always a favorite, and when you add chocolate chips and chopped pecans, they’re even better.
- They’re easy to make and only take a few pantry staples.
- They’re crispy around the edges and soft in the center with melted chocolate chips throughout. Yum!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies Tips and Variations
I have a couple of simple tips that will help you make these cookies the best they can be. I also have some variations that I think you’ll enjoy.
- Be sure your butter is at room temperature so it creams properly.
- Bring your egg to room temperature before using it in these cookies to help them spread and rise correctly.
- Be careful not to overcook these cookies. Remove them from the oven as soon as the edges begin to brown.
- Add your favorite baking chip flavors to these cookies. They all work!
- Use your favorite nuts in this recipe, like walnuts. They’re all delicious in these cookies.
- Change the texture of these cookies by using either rolled oats or quick oats.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies FAQ
The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about these cookies. It’s a quick read, so give it a look.
What is the secret to chewy cookies?
To increase chewiness, rest your cookie dough for at least an hour in the refrigerator. This evaporates some of the water and increases the sugar content, leading to a chewier cookie.
The biggest culprit is usually overmixing the cookie dough. When you mix the flour into the wet ingredients, gluten begins to form. The more you mix, the more gluten you create. While gluten holds baked goods together, too much of it will lead to tough cookies. So mix your ingredients until they’re just combined.
Why are my oatmeal cookies wet?
There are a few reasons that your cookies can come out wet or gooey.
- You used margarine in place of butter. The lower fat content and higher water content can lead to wet cookies.
- You added too many eggs, resulting in a gummy-like cookie.
- You didn’t use enough flour.
What makes cookies crunchy vs soft?
The type of sugar you use has a huge effect on whether your cookie will be crunchy or soft. Brown sugar keeps cookies moist and soft. White sugar and corn syrup helps cookies spread and get crispier.
How to Store Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies will last for up to two weeks in an air-tight container. For longer storage, they can be frozen for up to two months. To freeze, place the completely cooled cookies in single layers in an airtight container and freezer-safe container with parchment paper between each layer.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie Ingredients
You only need basic baking ingredients to make these cookies. You’ll probably have most, if not all, of them in your pantry. Any that you don’t have are easily found at your local grocery store.
- Butter, room temperature
- Light-brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Uncooked oats
- Milk Chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- Pecans, chopped
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
Making these cookies is very easy. It’s a straightforward recipe that only takes a few steps.
Step 1: Combine the Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until light and fluffy. Next, add eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
Step 3: Make the Dough
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing on low speed until combined but not overmixing. Then, stir in the oatmeal and add the chocolate chips and chopped pecans and stir again.
Step 4: Bake
Use a 1 ½-inch cookie dough scoop out the cookie dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees until the edges begin to brown.
Step 5: Cool
Remove the baked cookies from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
Try These Delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Today
These oatmeal chocolate chip pecan cookies combine a variety of tastes and textures to create cookies that please all your culinary senses. From the chewy oatmeal cookie base to the melty chocolate chips and chunky chopped pecans, these cookies have it all. Give them a try, and I guarantee you’ll be making them again and again. You’ll have to if you want your family to stop begging!
More Delicious Cookie Recipes
Sugar Cookies – Soft and chewy cookies that are made with a hint of cherry extract and jimmie sprinkles.
Easy Peanut Butter Cookies – The perfect cookie for peanut butter lovers. These are loaded with chunky peanut butter and peanut butter chips, creating a soft, chewy, and crunchy cookie.
Lemon Cookies – These thick and soft cookies are refreshing, zesty, and have the most delicious lemon glaze.
And, Dark Chocolate Cookies from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. These cookies are a chocolate lover’s dream; loaded with dark chocolate chips, dark cocoa powder, and walnuts.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups uncooked oats
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and sugar together until light and flurry.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Stir oatmeal into cookie dough. Stir and then add chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Stir to combine.
- Using a 1 ½ cookie scoop, drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies start to brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and place cookies on a wire rack to cool.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.