This brisket grilled cheese is a delicious twist on the classic grilled cheese sandwich we all know and love. Adding smoked brisket, with sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheese, grilled between two slices of thick Texas toast, makes the ultimate grilled cheese.
Okay, everyone, get ready for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. Yeah, ham and cheese is a great combo. It’s a classic, in fact. But how many times have you made that when you wanted some meat and cheese on toasted bread? Probably a million if you’re like me. I first made the grilled cheese variation a few years ago when I had leftover smoked brisket but not much else. It was so good, and everyone loved it so much that I made it a permanent variation that I make whenever I can.
If you’re looking for something a little different, then break out your leftover brisket and make this hearty, delicious grilled cheese sandwich. You’ll be glad you did!
Brisket Grilled Cheese
This delicious grilled cheese starts with thick-cut Texas toast for a substantial bread that can stand up to all the filling to come. Then, I sandwich a nice, thick slice, or two, or three, of brisket, sharp cheddar, and pepper jack cheese between them. Finally, I toast it until it’s golden brown on the outside and melty on the inside. It’s a symphony of cheesy, beefy deliciousness that will change the way you think about grilled cheese sandwiches!
Why You’ll Love This Brisket Grilled Cheese Recipe
- It’s so easy to make using leftover beef brisket and only takes a few simple ingredients.
- It is a hearty and delicious, meaty grilled cheese sandwich with two types of cheese and smoked brisket.
- It is another way to use up your brisket leftovers.
Brisket Grilled Cheese Ingredients
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make this easy, delicious grilled cheese sandwich. They’re all staples that you’ll find in any grocery store.
- Leftover brisket
- Texas toast (thick bread)
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Pepper Jack cheese
How to Make Brisket Grilled Cheese
Making this grilled cheese is just as easy as any other you’ve made. The process is the same, and it only takes a few minutes!
Step 1: Butter the Bread
Add butter to one side of each piece of bread.
Step 2: Layer
Place the piece of bread buttered-side down in a large frying pan, griddle, or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Then, top with a slice of cheddar, sliced warm brisket, and pepper jack cheese. The, top with another piece of buttered bread, butter side up.
Step 3: Grill
Cook on medium heat until both sides are golden, flipping once. Enjoy!
- You can place a lid on the pan to help melt the cheese.
- Only use medium heat. This allows the filling to heat up and melt while ensuring the outside is golden rather than burned.
- It’s important to heat the brisket slice up a bit in the microwave before adding it to the sandwich. Otherwise, it won’t get hot all the way through.
- Use slices of leftover chicken, turkey, or pork for this recipe.
- Use your favorite cheese.
- Try adding garlic powder to your butter for a garlic Texas toast variation.
- You can use mayonnaise in place of butter for a crispy, golden outside with a bit of tang.
What to Serve with Brisket Grilled Cheese
This delicious grilled cheese is perfect with all kinds of sides. Try it with:
- Tomato soup
- French fries
- Tater tots
- Potato wedges
- Sweet potato fries
- Baked beans
- Mac and cheese
There are several cheeses that pair well with smoked beef, especially brisket:
Sharp white cheddar
Monterey jack cheese
Brisket is a classic smoked, BBQ recipe, and as such, it’s perfect with all of your favorite BBQ sides like:
Mac and cheese
Corn on the cob
Sweet potato fries
Brisket is an expensive cut for a few reasons:
There are only 2 briskets per cow, so the supply is limited.
Beef has become incredibly expensive across the board.
More people have started cooking brisket at home.
Restaurants other than BBQ joints have started using brisket making even less of it available for cooking at home.
Leftover brisket will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Brisket freezes well and will keep for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
The Best Cheese to Put on a Brisket Sandwich
Beef has a strong, full flavor. Brisket is smoked, making it even bolder. As such, you need a cheese that can cut through that so you can actually taste it. Some great cheeses to add to your brisket sandwich include:
- Sharp white cheddar
- Sharp cheddar
- Pepper jack
- Monterrey jack
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Brisket Grilled Cheese
Store leftover brisket grilled cheese wrapped in butcher paper or in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap and then placed in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the grilled cheese, place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 until heated through.
Try This Easy and Delicious Brisket Grilled Cheese Recipe Today
This brisket grilled cheese is one of the best ways to use leftover brisket that you’ll ever try! It’s quick, easy, and absolutely loaded with flavor. Give it a try, and get ready to fall in love. Be warned, though, once you make it, you’ll be hooked!
More Delicious Brisket and Beef Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Crock Pot Beef Stew is a hearty and delicious crock pot recipe loaded with tender beef and potatoes, corn, carrots, green beans and more. One of the easiest stew recipes that is a family favorite.
Brisket Grilled Cheese
- 6-8 slices leftover brisket, heat up slightly in microwave
- 4 pieces Texas toast, thick bread
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices Pepper Jack cheese
- Butter or mayonnaise
- Add butter or mayonnaise to one side of each slice of bread.
- Using a large frying pan, griddle, or skillet, heat over medium heat.
- Place the bread butter/mayonnaise side down in the hot pan.
- Add a slice of cheddar cheese, 2-3 slices of brisket, and pepper jack cheese.
- Top with bread, butter/mayonnaise side up, and cook over medium until golden on both sides and the cheese is melted.
- Can place a lid on the pan to help melt the cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining sandwich.
- Cut in half and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.