This delicious blackberry puff pastry is packed with deliciousness from the sweet cream cheese filling and the blackberry sauce, then surrounded with flaky puff pastry baked until golden brown and drizzled with glaze.
If you ask me, there are few things in this world better than a good pastry and a cup of coffee. In fact, you can be almost certain that every time I’m at the grocery store, I’ll snag some kind of pastry to bring home for snacking. The thing about grocery store pastries is that they can be hit or miss, though. One day, you bring home the best thing you’ve ever had, the next, you’ve brought home a dry, crumbly disaster. That’s why I make my own these days! This pastry is full of sweet, tangy flavor, and that flaky, buttery pastry on the outside that I love so much. You’re going to love it, too!
Blackberry Puff Pastry
This delicious pastry treat starts with a sweet blackberry filling that I pair with a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling for that classic pastry combo. Then, I braid a puff pastry sheet around it and bake it until the inside is hot and delicious and the outside is golden and flaky. Finally, it’s all topped with a vanilla drizzle to complete the deliciousness. It all takes just about 45 minutes, and most of that is baking time. It’s so delicious and so easy, and everyone comes back for more.
Why You’ll Love This Blackberry Puff Pastry Recipe
- The flavor combination of the blackberries and the sweet cream mixture is simply irresistible.
- It’s a delicious pastry recipe that will be requested over and over again, it’s that good.
- It’s a relatively easy recipe to make with just a few steps.
Blackberry Puff Pastry Ingredients
You’ll only need some basic baking ingredients and berries to make this recipe. You’ll probably have most of the ingredients you need in your kitchen right now. Anything else can be grabbed easily on your next trip to the grocery store!
- Fresh blackberries
- Granulated sugar
Cream Cheese Filling
- Cream cheese
- Egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
Pastry and Egg Wash
- Puff pastry sheets
- Large egg
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Blackberry Puff Pastry
Outside of the puff pasty, this is a completely homemade recipe, but don’t let that fool you into thinking it’s difficult to make. It’s actually very simple. Even beginners can do it, and you’ll be all done in no time!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Blackberry Filling
Add blackberries and sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat and stir. Then, mix the water and cornstarch together and add to the berries. Stir and cook over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes until thickened. Set aside to cool.
Step 3: Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until fluffy – about 2 to 3 minutes. Then, add the sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Beat again until combined.
Step 4: Fill
Gently roll the puff pastry out a few times on a lightly floured surface until square. Then, spoon half the cream cheese mixture down the center of each pastry. Then, spread half the blackberry filling over the cream cheese filling.
Step 5: Cut and Braid
Cut two 1-inch slits at each end of the pastry (see photo below in the recipe card). Then, fold them over the filling. Next, cut off the top and bottom side pieces at an angle (see photo). Continue to make cuts along each side, being sure not to cut too close to the filling. Braid the side strips over the filling.
Step 6: Bake
Mix the egg and water and brush the egg wash over both pastries. Then, bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. When finished, remove the pastry from the oven and let cool until warm, not hot.
Step 7: Add the Glaze
While the pastry cools, mix the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Drizzle over the pastries when cool and enjoy!
- Stir the blackberry filling continuously while cooking to prevent scorching.
- Soften your cream cheese fully to avoid any small bits of raw cream cheese in your filling mixture.
- Be sure you don’t cut too close to the filling or it will ooze out while it bakes.
- Let the pastries cool until just warm before adding the drizzle, or it will simply slide off of the pastries.
- Any of your favorite berries can be used to make the filling.
- Dice your favorite fruits likes apples, pears, peaches, or pineapples for the filling.
- Add a little vanilla to the glaze for a vanilla variation.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar prior to baking for added sweetness.
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe is a perfect – and classic – example of the timelessness of sweet and tangy flavor. The sweet and tart flavor of the blackberries combines with the sweet and tangy cream cheese filling to create a perfectly balanced flavor profile that pairs perfectly with the slightly sweet, buttery, and flaky puff pastry crust in which it’s wrapped.
What to Serve with Blackberry Puff Pastry
This delicious pastry is perfect with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. You can also top it with whipped cream or serve a slice alongside ice cream.
No! While bringing puff pastry to room temperature can make it easier to work with, it should be chilled again before baking. You won’t get that classic puffed texture if the dough isn’t cold before baking.
In most cases, puff pastry dough is baked after adding the filling. Although, there are instances where blind baking the pastry first is required.
Lightly brush the surface of the puff pastry areas to be connected, then gently pinch or press them together with your fingers.
These puff pastries freeze very well and will last for up to a month in the freezer.
How to Store Leftover Blackberry Puff Pastry
Refrigerate these pastries for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, wrap them in a double layer of plastic wrap and freeze them for up to a month in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Try This Delicious Blackberry Puff Pastry Recipe Today
This blackberry puff pastry explodes with sweet and tangy flavors in every bite. It’s the quintessential pastry, and it’s incredibly easy to make. With a combination like that, you absolutely have to give this one a try. Once you do, you’ll make it a permanent part of your dessert rotation. It’s so good!
Blackberry Puff Pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add blackberries and sugar. Stir
- Mix water and cornstarch together until combined and add to the blackberry mixture.
- Cook on low for 5-7 minutes or until the blackberry mixture has thickened. Set aside to cool.
Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Cut the Pastry Dough
- Gently roll puff pastry a few times until square on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon half of the cream cheese mixture down the center of each puff pastry leaving about 1½ inch free from filling at each end.
- Once the blackberry mixture has cooled, add half of the mixture on top of the cream cheese filling, gently spread, then repeat with the other puff pastry.
- Cut two slits at each end of the pastry about 1 inch long and fold over the top of the filling and secure to prevent mixture from leaking out.
- Next cut off the top and bottom side pieces at an angle (see above photo) and continue to make cuts into the pastry along each side making sure not to cut too close to the filling.
- Once the ends have been secured, start folding each piece over each other like a braid and secure.
- Mix egg and water together
- Brush egg wash over both pastries and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, stir powdered sugar and milk together. Drizzle over pastry on cool enough.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.