This delicious cranberry crisp is a rustic treat with a symphony of textures and tastes, featuring a sweet and tart cranberry orange walnut filling, nestled beneath a rich and buttery crisp topping that melts in your mouth. The flavor combination is simply irresistible.
Christmas is almost here, and if you’re looking for a delicious dessert recipe to serve to family and friends, you’ve found it here. This delicious cranberry crisp is a holiday dessert that I’ve been making for Thanksgiving and Christmas for years. The sweet and tangy cranberry filling is perfect for the holiday season, and it has a wonderfully rustic feel that brings back memories of Christmases gone by. This has been a staple of my holiday baking for years, and after you try it, it will be a staple for you, as well.
This delicious dessert starts with a sweet and tangy cranberry filling loaded with fresh cranberries, orange juice and zest, crunchy walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then, I top it with a crumbly brown sugar and flour mixture and bake the entire thing until the filling is hot and bubbly and the top is golden brown. The entire process only takes an hour and change, and when it’s all done, I have a fantastic dessert that’s perfect for any Thanksgiving or Christmas table.
Why You’ll Love This Cranberry Crisp Recipe
- The fresh cranberries, along with the orange juice and orange zest, provide the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
- The chopped walnuts add a delicious crunch to the crispy, while the rich and buttery topping is absolutely irresistible.
- It is easy to make with simple, straightforward instructions even for novice bakers. With just a few basic ingredients, you can create a delicious dessert perfect for the holidays, and a dessert the whole family will enjoy.
Cranberry Crisp Ingredients
You’ll only need a few basic baking ingredients to make this recipe, and you can find them all in your kitchen or your local grocery store.
- All purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Fresh cranberries
- Orange juice
- Orange zest
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
How to Make Cranberry Crisp
Making this crisp couldn’t be easier. The filling needs no stovetop cooking, and the entire recipe only takes a little over an hour to make. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time, leaving you more time for family and less time in a hot kitchen. Talk about happy holidays!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Make the Topping
Whisk the flour and brown sugar in a large bowl. Then, mix in 1 cup of butter on low speed until crumbly.
Step 3: Make the Filling
Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside. Rinse the cranberries and add to a large bowl, then, add the walnuts, orange juice, and orange zest to the cranberries. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the cranberry mixture and stir until coated.
Step 4: Add to the Baking Dish
Add the cranberry mixture to the baking dish and spread in an even layer. Then, top with random slices of butter and evenly distribute the sugar and flour mixture over the top.
Step 5: Bake
Bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Apply the nonstick spray in an even layer to ensure that all of the interior is covered.
- An electric mixer is the best way to make the crumble topping.
- Be gentle with spreading the flour mixture over the top of the filling so you don’t mix it into the filling.
- Create different crisps by using different berries or sliced fruits for the filling.
- Add sliced Granny Smith apples along with the cranberries for a delicious cranberry apple crisp.
- Try adding chopped pecans or walnuts to the crumble topping for extra flavor and crunch.
- You can use pecans in place of walnuts for the filling.
What to Serve with Cranberry Crisp
This delicious dessert is perfect with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s also wonderful with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. For even more holiday flavor, try pairing the crisp with candied cranberries.
Yes, you can. In fact, in most cases, frozen cranberries can be used in place of fresh cranberries without the need to thaw them.
You can make the filling in advance, then refrigerate it for up to 2 days until ready to make the crisp.
Cranberries are in season from September through November.
Yes, you can. Pecans or almonds can be used in place of walnuts.
Yes, you can. This crisp freezes well and will last for up to 3 months in the freezer when stored properly.
How to Store Leftover Cranberry Crisp
Refrigerate this crisp for up to 3 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Try This Delicious Cranberry Crisp Recipe
This easy, delicious cranberry crisp is the sweet star of any Thanksgiving or Christmas table, and because cranberries are a fall staple, they make a great dessert throughout the season. Your family and friends will love the classic combination of flavors in this dessert, and you’ll love how easy it is to make! Give this delicious crisp a try, and I know it will become a permanent part of your seasonal recipe rotation.
More Delicious Holiday Desserts You’ll Enjoy
This Cranberry Walnut Bread is packed with fresh, coarsely chopped cranberries, orange, and chopped walnuts, and is a delicious quick bread recipe that is perfect for the holiday season.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a 3 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour and brown sugar together. Add 1 cup of butter and mix on low speed until crumbly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. Set aside.
- Rinse cranberries and add to a large bowl.
- Add walnuts, orange juice, and orange zest to cranberries. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over cranberries and gently stir until cranberries are well coated.
- Pour cranberry mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread in an even layer.
- Top the fruit mixture with random slices of butter.
- Add flour mixture over the cranberry mixture and spread evenly.
- Baked uncovered for 45-55 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.