This delicious creamy tortellini soup with Italian sausage is a hearty and satisfying meal that is a flavorful, easy to make, budget-friendly, soup recipe the whole family will enjoy. An easy sausage tortellini soup that is perfect on a cold night.
I love tortellini soup, but as much as I love to cook, there’s no way you’re going to catch me in the kitchen making homemade tortellini. I have to draw the line somewhere! That’s why I love making this delicious tortellini soup. It has all the robust flavors we all love about this classic Italian soup, but I make it super easy by using frozen, cheese-stuffed tortellini!
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
This delicious soup starts with hot Italian sausage that I cook in a skillet with onions until the sausage is nicely cooked and the onions are soft. Then, I add flour to make a simple roux and load it up with zesty seasonings. Finally, I add chicken broth and heavy cream for richness and then simmer the frozen tortellini until they’re cooked through. That’s all there is to it! When I’m all done, I have a hearty soup that everyone always loves. And trust me, it goes fast!
Why You’ll Love This Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage Recipe
- This soup recipe with cheese tortellini, Italian sausage, and vegetables in a creamy broth is a winning combination.
- The recipe is easy and straightforward and uses simple ingredients that are easily found at the local grocery store.
- It is a budget-friendly soup recipe that can be on the table in a matter of minutes – about 30 minutes to be exact.
Tortellini with Italian Sausage Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty soup. You’ll find everything in you need in one quick trip to the grocery store. Even the tortellini is in the frozen section of almost any grocery store or supermarket.
- Ground hot Italian Sausage is a hearty meat that adds richness and flavor to the soup.
- Frozen cheese tortellini are a convenient and flavorful addition to the soup, and they cook quickly.
- Onion and Celery adds flavor and texture to the soup.
- Cloves garlic is flavorful and aromatic and adds complexity to the soup.
- Butter adds richness and creaminess.
- All purpose flour helps to thicken the broth of the soup
- Oregano adds a warm and earthy flavor.
- Basil adds a fresh and herbaceous flavor.
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning adds a flavorful kick.
- Garlic powder is a convenient way to add additional flavor to the soup.
- Black pepper adds flavor and depth to the soup.
- Chicken broth provides the base for the soup and adds flavor.
- Heavy cream adds richness and creaminess.
- Shredded Parmesan cheese adds flavor and depth to the soup.
How to Make Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
Making this soup is super easy. It just takes a few minutes of sautéing and then a few more of simmering. The entire thing is done in about 30 minutes, and even beginners can make it easily!
Step 1: Cook the Sausage and Vegetables
In a large skillet or large soup pot, melt butter and cook the sausage, onions, and celery over medium heat until the sausage is fully cooked and the onions are tender. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Drain the mixture and return it to the pan.
Step 2: Make the Roux
Sprinkle flour over the sausage and onions, stir, and cook for 2 minutes. Then, add the basil, oregano, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper, and stir to combine.
Step 3: Add the Liquid
Add the heavy cream and chicken broth, stir well, and cook until the mixture begins to boil.
Step 4: Add the Tortellini
Reduce the heat, add the tortellini, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the tortellini is fully cooked. Top with parmesan and enjoy!
- It’s important to drain the sausage after cooking it so you don’t end up with a greasy soup.
- Add the garlic last so it doesn’t burn and get bitter.
- Simmer the tortellini. If you boil it, it could open up and release the filling into the soup.
- You can add chopped carrots to this soup.
- Use your favorite variety of tortellini for this soup.
- For a mild version, use mild Italian sausage and omit the Slap Ya Mama seasoning.
- Garnishes or toppings that pair well with this soup, such as chopped fresh herbs, a drizzle of olive oil, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, which can enhance the flavor and presentation of the soup.
What to Serve with Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
This delicious tortellini soup pairs well with a variety of dishes. Try:
- Side salad
- Garlic bread
- Focaccia bread
- Bacon wrapped asparagus
- Green beans with almonds
Tortellini soup is usually made with cheese filled tortellini, celery, onions, garlic, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Some recipes also use Italian sausage.
Freezing tortellini soup isn’t recommended. The cream in the soup will break when defrosted and no amount of stirring will fix it.
Tortellini soup works well with a variety of veggies like:
You could use ground beef, turkey sausage, or ground pork sausage.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Refrigerate this soup in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To reheat the soup, place it in a saucepan and cook it over medium-low heat until heated through.
Try This Easy Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage Today
This tasty tortellini soup recipe with Italian sausage is as easy as it is delicious. With classic Italian flavors and a cook time of just about 30 minutes, it makes a great family dinner on even the busiest days. Give this one a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again. It’s the perfect meal for any family and a great fall and winter staple. Give it a try!
More Delicious Soup Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Tuscan Vegetable Soup is a healthy Italian soup recipe that is easy to make and is loaded with fresh, healthy ingredients, and is a delicious soup recipe perfect for lunch or dinner.
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, mild or hot
- 19 ounce bag frozen cheese tortellini
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter and cook sausage, onions and celery over medium heat until sausage is fully cooked and onions are tender.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 2 additional minutes. Drain and return the sausage mixture back to the pan.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage and onions. Stir to coat, and cook for two minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour heavy cream and chicken broth into the sausage mixture. Stir well. Continue cooking until the broth starts to boil.
- Reduce heat and add tortellini to the pan. Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes or until tortellini is fully cooked.
- Top with parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.