This green chicken enchilada soup recipe is an easy crock pot recipe that is super flavorful, loaded with tender, shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce, salsa verde, green chilies, cheese, black beans, and corn. Super easy and super delicious.
If you’re a fan of Mexican-inspired dishes, then you’re going to love this enchilada soup. It takes all the delicious flavors we love in green chicken enchiladas and stuffs them into a super easy crock pot recipe that’s so easy to make. I’ve made this recipe a handful of times now and had to share. As a busy mom and wife, recipes like this have always been gold to me, and when my family devoured it, I knew I had a hit on my hands. I loved this one because we could have it for dinner for a couple of nights. That was, of course, if the kids and their friends didn’t devour it after school!
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
This delicious soup combines boneless skinless chicken breasts with green enchilada sauce, zesty spices, beans, corn, cheese, and more to create a slow cooker soup that is absolutely overflowing with Tex-Mex flavors. The best part is that it’s as easy as it is delicious. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing. In a few hours, you’ll have a rich, spicy enchilada soup that everyone loves and that didn’t take a ton of time or effort for you to make. It doesn’t get any better!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s creamy, cheesy, hearty, and super flavorful.
- It’s a super easy crock pot recipe.
- It uses simple ingredients that are easily found at your local grocery store.
- Be sure your cream cheese is fully softened. If it’s cold, it won’t melt correctly, and you’ll end up with little white bits of pure cream cheese in the soup.
- Shred your chicken while it’s as hot as possible. The hot meat will shred far more easily than cool meat.
- Shredding claws work great, but you can also use two forks.
- You can use beef, pork, ground beef, or even chorizo in place of chicken for this recipe.
- You can cook the other ingredients in the crock pot fist and add shredded rotisserie chicken at the end if you like.
- You can make a red version of this recipe by using regular salsa and red enchilada sauce.
- For an even spicier soup, add sliced or diced jalapenos.
What to Serve with Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
This soup tastes just like enchiladas, so serve it next to your favorite enchilada pairings. Some great options include:
- Mexican green beans
- Mexican bean salad
- BBQ Corn
- Black beans and rice
- Mexican rice
- Spanish rice
- Pico de Gallo
There are a few tasty additions that you can add to this soup before serving.
- Sour cream
- Avocado slices
- Tortilla strips
- More cheese
- Green onions
What is green enchilada sauce made of?
Green enchilada sauce, or verde sauce, is made from tomatillos, green chilies, onions, and garlic.
Is green enchilada sauce the same as salsa verde?
No, but it’s close. They both use the same ingredients, however, green enchilada sauce is cooked, while salsa verde ingredients are simply blended and eaten raw.
Can salsa verde be used as green enchilada sauce?
It absolutely can. Green enchilada sauce is basically just cooked salsa verde.
Can I use rotisserie chicken for this recipe?
You sure can. Follow the cooking instructions, omitting the chicken in the first part of the recipe. Then, add the shredded rotisserie chicken at the end.
Can you freeze green chicken enchilada soup?
Absolutely. Simply place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can find easily at your local grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cloves garlic
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Chicken broth
- Green enchilada sauce
- Salsa verde
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Diced green chiles
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Black beans, drained
- Whole kernel corn, drained
- Optional toppings: Cilantro, green onions, sour cream, diced avocado, crispy tortilla strips
How to Make Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
It only takes a few simple steps and a few minutes to make this recipe. It’s so simple that anyone can make it.
Step 1: Cook the Chicken
Spray a 6-8 quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Add the chicken, onions, garlic, chicken broth, seasonings, and enchilada sauce. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Step 2: Shred the Chicken
Remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred it. Then, return it to the crock pot.
Step 3: Finish the Soup
Add the heavy cream, cream cheese, salsa verde, diced green chilies, shredded cheese, beans, and corn. Stir and cook for ½ hour until the cheese is melted. Serve in bowls and top with tortilla strips or tortilla chips.
Try This Delicious Green Chicken Enchilada Soup Today
This easy, delicious green chicken enchilada soup is incredibly simple and so full of flavor. With less than a handful of steps, the hardest part about this recipe is waiting for the slow cooker to finish! Give this one a try, and I know your family and friends are going to love it as much as mine do.
More Delicious Soup Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Lasagna Soup – An easy and delicious dinner recipe that has all of the favorite flavors of lasagna, but in a soup form.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup – An earthy, flavorful, and creamy soup that has all the flavors of fall and makes a delicious dinner recipe for the fall season.
Tuscan Vegetable Soup – A healthy Italian soup recipe that is loaded with a variety of fresh vegetables, beans, and topped with crusty sourdough bread.
And, try this Chicken Tortilla Soup from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. It’s a hearty, flavorful, and delicious soup recipe that is loaded with tender chicken, green chilies, black beans, corn, and topped with crispy tortilla chips.
Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 24 ounce chicken broth
- (2) 15 ounce green enchilada sauce
- 7 ounce salsa Verde
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounce diced green chilies
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- (2) 15 ounce black beans, drained
- (2) 15 ounce whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 ounce bag tortilla strips
- Optional toppings: Cilantro, green onions, sour cream and diced avocado
- Spray a 6 -8 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add chicken, onions, garlic, seasonings, chicken broth, and enchilada sauce. Stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken, return to crock pot, and add heavy cream, cream cheese, salsa Verde, diced green chilies, shredded cheese, beans and corn. Stir to combine.
- Continue to cook on high for 30 additional minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve into individual serving bowls, top with optional toppings and tortilla strips.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.