These cheesy onion rings make the perfect appetizer. Crispy, crunchy, and delicious, these are stuffed with thin slices of mozzarella cheese between the two slices of onion rings. Next, they are coated and fried to golden perfection.
Onion rings are a classic appetizer or gameday food, and they’re almost always present at any party. From frozen onion rings you buy at the store to making them homemade, there are tons of options out there, and it seems like everyone always loves all of them. I’ve always loved onion rings, and I’ve made my fair share of them over the years. If I’m pressed for time, I’ll air fry frozen onion rings, but if I have the time, I love to make them from scratch. Lately, I’ve been loving my latest addition to my onion ring repertoire, this version stuffed with cheese! They’re so good, and they’re a fun twist on an old classic.
Cheesy Onion Rings
These onion rings start with large onions. Then, they’re stuffed with mozzarella cheese, coated with a delicious buttermilk fry batter, and fried to golden brown, crispy perfection. That’s all there is to it for this simple recipe. It takes a little bit of time to make these, and what you end up with are classic, crispy onion rings with a little something extra that always surprises everyone.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Onion Rings Recipe
- They’re super crispy, crunchy, and filled with mozzarella cheese.
- They’re fried to golden perfection and make a great appetizer or midday snack.
- They’re not your typical recipe, and the mozzarella filling just makes them so much better!
- Sweet onions like Vidalia are perfect for this recipe because their sweetness pairs perfectly with the spices and fried coating.
- Keep the mozzarella slices thin so they’re pliable and easily pressed between the larger ring and the smaller ring.
- Gently tap the coated rings to ensure the perfect amount of coating.
- Don’t overcrowd the frying pan. You want the oil to stay hot enough to cook the onion ring coating, not let it soak into the coating.
- Use different onions for different flavors. You can use your favorite.
- Try regular breadcrumbs instead of Panko for something a little different.
- Thin slices of your favorite cheese will work in this recipe.
What to Serve with Cheesy Onion Rings
Onions rings are great as part of an overall party spread with your favorite appetizers like pull-apart bread, jalapeno poppers, and the like. Of course, dipping sauces are perfect with these onion rings. Try dipping them with:
- Mayo and sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Creamy horseradish sauce
What kind of onion is best to use to make onion rings?
White and yellow onions are great. For a sweeter version, Vidalia and Walla Walla onions are good choices.
Why does my batter fall off when frying?
If your initial flour layer is too thick and doesn’t get moistened enough with the wet dredge, the frying process will cause the interior flour layer to pull away from the onion rings and fall off.
How do you get batter to stick to onion rings?
Be sure your dredge layers aren’t too thick. Gently tapping the onion ring after each dredge should leave you with the perfect amount of batter to ensure that it sticks.
How long will fried onion rings last in the fridge?
They’ll last for 3 to 5 days in an airtight container.
Can you freeze leftover cheesy onion rings?
You sure can. They’ll keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Store and Reheat Cheesy Onion Rings
Store these onion rings in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container in single layers with parchment paper placed between each layer.
To reheat, place them on a baking sheet lined with foil. Then bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 until heated through.
Cheesy Onion Rings Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store. Just like the onion rings themselves, there’s nothing fancy about these ingredients. The actual measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Large onions
- Mozzarella cheese
- All-purpose flour
- Large egg
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Hot sauce
- Slap Ya Mama Seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to Make Cheesy Onion Rings
Making these onion rings is just as simple as the ingredient list itself. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps. That’s it!
Step 1: Make the Dredging Station
Make the dredging station with flour in a shallow bowl, buttermilk and egg in another shallow bowl, and the breadcrumbs and seasonings in a third shallow bowl.
Step 2: Slice the Onions
Cut the ends off the onions, remove the outer papery ring, and cut the onions to the desired thickness.
Step 3: Stuff the Onion Rings
Slice the mozzarella cheese into thin strips about the same height as the rings. Then, separate the rings into individual rings. Place the mozzarella strips between 2 rings.
Step 4: Coat the Onion Rings
Heat oil to 350 degrees in a large skillet over medium heat. While the oil is heating, dredge the onion rings in the flour mixture, then the buttermilk mixture, and finally, the breadcrumb mixture.
Step 5: Fry the Onion Rings
Add a few at a time to the hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the onion rings are fried.
Try This Delicious Cheesy Onion Rings Today
These cheesy onion rings take a classic onion ring recipe and add a little something extra that always delights everyone. Tender onions surrounding melty mozzarella cheese are coated with a golden brown, crispy coating. They’re oh, so good and so easy to make. They make the perfect snack or appetizer for any occasion. Give them a try, and I know you’ll love them as much as I do.
More Fried Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Fried Steak Fingers – A delicious appetizer or dinner recipe made with skirt steak, seasoned perfectly and fried to golden perfection. These are easy to make and always a hit.
Crispy Fried Chicken Drumsticks – These flavorful fried drumsticks are soaked in a buttermilk and hot sauce mixture, coated in a deliciously seasoned batter, and fried until crispy and crunchy.
Coconut Fried Shrimp – These restaurant-style coconut fried shrimp makes a delicious appetizer that is easy to make, absolutely delicious and a family favorite.
And, here is a Chicken Fried Steak Bites recipes, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that you will enjoy as well.
Cheesy Onion Rings
- Set up a dredging station with flour in one shallow bowl or container, buttermilk and egg whisk together in the second shallow container, and breadcrumbs and all the seasonings in the third container.
- Cut the ends off of the onions and remove the outer papery layer and slice into desired thickness.
- Separate onion slices and pair up with a smaller slice that will fit when a thin slice of cheese is added in between the two slices. *See above photo.
- Slice mozzarella cheese into thin strips, about the same height as the onion slices, and place in between the two onion slices.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a skillet, or large frying pan, over medium high heat.
- Add onion rings into the flour mixture, then into the buttermilk mixture, and finally, into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Carefully add a few onion rings at a time into the hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Repeat the process until all the onion rings are fried and be sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.