Slow cooker flank steak and peppers is a hearty and flavorful meal that is easy-to-make and is perfect for a busy weeknight or a casual weekend dinner. The flank steak is seasoned perfectly and slow cooked in a savory sauce with onions, peppers and garlic, resulting in a tender and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy.
I’ve always loved beef, and so has my family. I always thought I knew what good beef was until I moved to Texas. You guys, they’re not lying when they say Texas is the land of great beef! It’s on an entirely different level down here, so I find myself making even more beef dishes. One of my favorites is this delicious flank steak recipe with peppers. I cook it in the slow cooker so it’s easy and super-tender, and when it’s all done, it’s just so good. This is a dish I make quite often because we can enjoy it for a couple of days. It’s also a great meal for the family when they come over to visit!
Slow Cooker Flank Steak
This delicious meal starts with flank steak that I slice thinly against the grain. I slow-cook it for hours with onions, soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, sesame oil, and other spices to create a rich, Asian-inspired flavor until it’s super-tender. Then, I add bell peppers and let it cook until the peppers are perfectly tender, too. Finally, I serve it all over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes for a hearty meal that satisfies everyone. It’s a delicious dish that’s so easy to make and so good, I find myself making it again and again.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Flank Steak Recipe
- It’s super flavorful and so tender.
- It is so easy to make and is a delicious option for busy weeknights.
- It’s versatile and can be served with a variety of sides, such as fluffy rice, mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables.
Slow Cooker Flank Steak Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious beef feast. You’ll more than likely have most of them in your kitchen right now, and anything you don’t have can be found in a quick in-and-out trip to your local grocery store.
- Flank steak
- Medium onion
- Soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce
- Beef broth
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil
- Cloves garlic
- Ground ginger
- Red pepper flakes
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
How to Make Slow Cooker Flank Steak
This is a slow cooker recipe, so you know it’s automatically easy to make. The steak isn’t even seared before slicing and cooking, so you basically just dump everything into the slow cooker and let it do all the work. It couldn’t be simpler!
Step 1: Prep
Spray a 6 to 8-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Then, add the sliced flank steak to a large, gallon-sized resealable baggie along with cornstarch and shake to coat the meat.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
Combine the soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
Step 3: Add the Ingredients to the Slow Cooker
Add the beef and onions to the slow cooker. Then, pour the sauce over the meat and onions and stir.
Step 4: Cook
Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high or until the meat is tender. Add the sliced bell peppers in the last hour of cooking. Enjoy!
- Be sure to cut your flank steak thinly and AGAINST the grain. This, combined with the long cooking time, is what makes it so tender.
- Mix the sauce ingredients before adding them to the slow cooker. They won’t mix well enough otherwise.
- To keep the bell peppers from turning to mush, add them during the last hour of cooking.
- You can make this recipe with chicken breasts or pork chops, as well. Just adjust the cooking times accordingly.
- Add your favorite vegetables to this recipe. Mushrooms, baby corn, bamboo shoots, broccoli, green onions, and the like work well.
- For a mild version of this recipe, omit the red pepper flakes.
- For an even spicier dish, add chopped chile peppers.
- Add to tortillas and top with avocado, salsa, and cilantro.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Flank Steak
This delicious flank steak recipe is perfect over a bed of noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice. You can also serve your favorite roasted vegetables on the side. You can also serve this flank steak with crusty bread.
You can absolutely slow cook flank steak. In fact, cooking flank steak for a long period of time at a low temperature is how you make it nice and tender.
Cutting flank steak against the grain makes the protein fibers nice and short, making the meat super-tender.
If you don’t cook the flank steak long enough in this recipe, it will be tough. If you’ve cooked flank steak and you cut it with the grain instead of against it, it will be tough.
Flank steak can be grilled, broiled, or pan-seared over high heat for a short period of time to create a nice crust on the outside while preventing the inside from over-cooking. It can also be cooked for long periods of time at low temperature in dishes like soups, stews, or beef and pepper recipes.
Yes, you can. It will freeze well for up to 3 months when stored properly.
Yes and no. If you’re cooking it in something like beef and peppers, then the longer you cook it at a low temperature the more tender it will become. However, if you’re grilling, broiling, or pan-searing flank steak, cooking it longer will make it tougher. It’s important to know what temperature and time to use based on your chosen cooking method.
How to Store and Reheat Slow Cooker Flank Steak Leftovers
Store this flank steak with peppers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the flank steak, place it in a pot and cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
Try This Easy Slow Cooker Flank Steak Recipe Today
This delicious slow cooker flank steak recipe is as easy as it is tasty. A slow cooker recipe that requires almost no effort, this is the perfect dish for a weeknight family dinner or for special occasions. It’s quick and easy, and it tastes so good you’ll want to make it again and again. You’ll have to, actually because your family won’t stop asking for it!
More Delicious Crock Pot Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice is a hearty and flavorful crock pot recipe the whole family will enjoy. Made with deliciously seasoned, tender chicken, green enchilada sauce, diced green chilies, fluffy rice, and shredded cheese.
Slow Cooker Flank Steak and Peppers
- 2½ – 3 pounds flank steak, sliced thin against the grain
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 medium onion sliced
- ½ cup soy sauce, low sodium (⅓ cup if using regular soy sauce)
- ⅔ cup beef broth
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- Spray a 6-8 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add sliced meat to a large sealable gallon size baggie.
- Add cornstarch to the baggie, and shake to coat meat.
- Place meat and onions in the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and pour over meat. Stir.
- Cover and cook 5-6 hours on low, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- In the last hour of cooking, add the sliced bell peppers. Stir.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.