This creamy chicken and broccoli pasta is a hearty and easy weeknight dinner recipe made with tender chicken breasts, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, and pipe rigate pasta all in a deliciously seasoned creamy cheese sauce. A flavorful comfort food recipe the whole family will enjoy!
I love to cook, and I’ve been doing it pretty much for as long as I can remember. I used to help my mom in the kitchen, and I fell in love with cooking there. As I got older, I began to make more and more recipes on my own. I always loved getting creative and trying out the most complicated recipes. I was very good at them, and they were a lot of fun. Then I had kids, and I discovered the true joy of cooking – getting something delicious on the plate fast! LOL.
Over the years, my preferred recipes became simpler and simpler, and the ones that I really loved tended to use pasta, meat, and a vegetable in a simple way. That’s where I fell in love with recipes like the one I’m sharing with you today. It’s delicious, it’s easy, and it’s fast. You can’t get much better than that!
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
This is a completely homemade recipe that comes together quickly and explodes with flavor in every bite. Perfectly cooked pipe rigate pasta is mixed with white meat chicken bites, broccoli, garlic, onion, and a delicious, simple creamy sauce to create a dish that’s hearty and delicious. Every bite is loaded with flavor, and most importantly, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen fast. It’s the ultimate family recipe for anyone who’s pressed for time or who just doesn’t want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- It’s an easy and delicious chicken recipe that everyone always loves.
- It’s a hearty meal that’s loaded with flavor without being loaded with work.
- And, it’s incredibly simple.
Chicken Broccoli Pasta Tips and Variations
This recipe is very easy to make, but as we all know, even easy recipes have their little secrets. I have some tips here that will help you take this recipe from good to great. I also have some excellent variations that you can try, as well.
- Be sure to cook the chicken for an additional 2 minutes after adding the flour to cook off that raw flour taste.
- Never cook your pasta past al dente. You don’t want it getting smushy and breaking apart when you mix it with the rest of the dish.
- Cut the chicken into relatively uniform chunks so they all cook at the same rate.
- For richer flavor, you can use chicken thighs.
- Use your favorite noodles for this recipe. Any short noodle will do. You can try whole wheat pasta to make it a bit healthier.
- Try using other vegetables in this dish. Almost any of your favorites will work.
- Use your favorite cheese in this recipe. It’s all gooey and delicious.
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta FAQ
If you have questions about this chicken and broccoli pasta, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Do you cook chicken before adding sauce?
Yes. The chicken should be cooked before adding the sauce. It ensures the chicken is uniformly cooked and it prevents the sauce from getting too thin.
How long will chicken and broccoli last in the fridge?
This chicken and broccoli pasta will last in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3 to 4 days.
Can you freeze cooked pasta?
As long as you cooked it to al dente, you can freeze pasta for up to 3 months. You can even freeze it in its sauce.
Can this chicken pasta recipe be made gluten-free?
Absolutely. Substitute the flour for almond flour and buy gluten-free noodles.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store this chicken and broccoli in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. To reheat this recipe, place it in a baking dish with a little water. Cover it tightly with foil and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees until heated through.
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Ingredients
It only takes simple ingredients to make this delicious dish. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
- Chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- Pipe rigate pasta (or your favorite pasta)
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Medium onion
- Cloves garlic
- Vegetable broth
- All-purpose flour
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Sun-dried tomatoes coarsely chopped
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
This super easy recipe only takes a few simple steps to make. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
Step 1: Cook the Pasta and Broccoli
Cook the pasta over medium-high heat in a large pot according to the package directions for al dente. Add the broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Step 2: Add Tomatoes
After the pasta and broccoli are finished, drain them and return them to the pot. Then add chopped dried tomatoes.
Step 3: Cook the Chicken and Onions
In a large skillet or large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the chicken, onions, and seasonings to a pan and cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the onions are tender. Sprinkle flour over the chicken and onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
Step 4: Add the Sauce Ingredients
Pour the milk and chicken broth into the pan. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once the sauce thickens, add the cheese and stir until combined.
Step 5: Complete the Dish
Pour the mixture into the pasta and broccoli and stir to combine. Serve with salad or crusty bread and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
This deliciously creamy chicken and broccoli pasta is absolutely delicious and incredibly easy. You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time flat, leaving you more time to enjoy the family and the dish. With a combination like that, why wouldn’t you give it a try? Make this recipe once, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
Here are More Delicious Pasta Dishes
Chicken Ranch Bowtie Pasta – This is a hearty pasta dish that is loaded with tender chicken breast, fresh spinach, onion, and garlic, tossed in a delicious, cheesy, creamy sauce.
Spinach Artichoke Pasta – A delicious pasta dish that is made with chicken sausage, artichoke hearts, spinach, and tossed in a tomato sauce.
Taco Pasta – A creamy and delicious pasta dish that is given a Mexican twist. It’s made with corn, jalapeños, green chilies, and lots of cheese. It’s the perfect meal to make on busy weeknights.
Also, try this Buffalo Chicken Pasta from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. It’s a spicy, flavorful, and delicious pasta dish that is made with buffalo sauce, tender chicken, penne pasta, all tossed in a creamy sauce.
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 pipe rigate pasta, (or your favorite pasta)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ cups milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 ounce bag sun dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente. Add broccoli to pasta in the last three minutes of cooking. Drain and return to pan and add chopped dried tomatoes.
- In a large skillet or large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add chicken, onions, seasonings, and red pepper flakes to pan and cook until chicken isthoroughly cooked and onions are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over chicken mixture. stir, and cook for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Pour milk and chicken broth into skillet, stir and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once sauce has thickened a bit, add cheese and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into the pasta and broccoli. Stir to combine.
- Enjoy with a side salad or crusty bread with butter or garlic bread.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.