This candied smoked bacon is irresistible and addictive. Applewood smoked bacon is baked in the oven with a delicious seasoning blend along with brown sugar and the results are absolutely scrumptious.
If you love bacon, then get ready to make the most delicious thing you’ll ever eat. This candied smoked bacon is sweet, hot, and so delicious. My cousin’s husband, James, shared this recipe with me, and after one bite, I was hooked. I’ve been making it ever since for breakfast, lunch, on BLTs, in salads, and pretty much anything that I can find an excuse to add it to. It’s absolutely delicious, so easy to make, and a great addition to just about anything. I only thought I loved bacon until I tried this recipe. I know you’re going to fall in love with it, too.
Candied Smoked Bacon
This simple recipe starts with store-bought smoked bacon – I prefer Applewood or pecan wood smoked bacon. Then, I add brown sugar, paprika, chipotle powder, black pepper, and garlic powder and bake it in the oven. When it’s all said and done, I end up with thick, crispy bacon that’s sweet, hot, and zingy. It’s just about the best thing you’ll ever eat. The smokiness of the bacon, the brown sugar, and the spices combine perfectly to create candied bacon like you’ve never had before.
Why You’ll Love This Candied Smoked Bacon Recipe
- It’s absolutely delicious and so easy to make.
- It only takes a few simple ingredients.
- It’s a delicious sweet and salty addition to breakfast with all your favorite breakfast foods, in salads, on baked sweet potatoes, as a snack, or even dipped in chocolate. And that’s just the beginning of what you can do with it.
- It’s important that you DO NOT preheat the oven. It’s tempting but don’t do it.
- Always line your baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup and no sticking.
- Thick-cut bacon is the way to go with this recipe to get the best texture.
- I love smoked bacon for this recipe, but you can use any thick-cut bacon you prefer.
- If you don’t have smoked paprika, you can use regular paprika.
- A little cumin makes a nice flavor addition.
What to Serve with Candied Smoked Bacon
This candied bacon recipe makes a delicious snack all on its own, but you can also serve it with so many things. You can use it with or on anything to which you’d normally add bacon.
- Breakfast and brunch favorites like eggs, hash browns, sausage, pancakes, waffles, and French toast.
- Baked potatoes
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Bloody Mary
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
What is candied bacon?
It’s thick sliced bacon coated in brown sugar, maple syrup, or caramel and spices and then baked until caramelized.
Are pig candy and candied bacon the same thing?
Yes, they are. They’re just different names for the same kind of food.
What bacon is best for candied bacon?
Any bacon will work so long as it’s thick-cut.
How long does candied smoked bacon last?
It will last for up to a week in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
How do you keep candied bacon crispy?
Thanks to its caramelized coating, candied bacon stays almost naturally crispy. Just reheat it by baking it for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
How to Store Candied Smoked Bacon
Store the bacon in single layers separated by parchment or wax paper in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator. For longer storage, layer the bacon in single layers with parchment or wax paper between them in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Candied Smoked Bacon Ingredients
It only takes a handful of ingredients to make this delicious candied bacon. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Applewood smoked or pecan wood smoked bacon
- Brown sugar
- Smoked paprika
- Chipotle powder
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
How to Make Candied Smoked Bacon
Making this bacon is just as easy as gathering up the ingredients. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps.
Step 1: Make the Seasoning
Whisk all the seasoning ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Bake
Place the bacon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with at least ¼-inch of space between the bacon slices. Place in the oven and set the temperature to 330 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes. DO NOT preheat the oven. After 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet, flip the slices of bacon back over, and continue baking for another 5 minutes.
Step 3: Add the Seasoning
After 5 minutes, pull the bacon again and cover it completely – but not too thickly – with the brown sugar mixture. Place the bacon back in the oven.
Step 4: Continue Baking
Continue baking, opening the oven door and shaking the baking sheet to coat the top of the bacon with hot bacon fat to get that nice crunchy/soft texture. Do this until the top edges of the bacon pieces are the color of coffee.
Step 5: Cool
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the bacon with tongs to a cooling rack to cool completely. The bacon is extremely sticky until completely cooled. Enjoy!
Try This Delicious Candied Smoked Bacon Today
This candied smoke bacon is so easy to make and one of the most delicious things you’ll ever eat in your life. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again. It’s just about the most amazing thing ever!
More Delicious Recipes Using Bacon You’ll Enjoy
BLT Avocado Pasta Salad – This delicious salad is loaded with bacon, avocado, tomatoes, pasta, lettuce, croutons and cheese. A BLT made into a salad. YUM!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza – A homemade pizza crust with a creamy white sauce loaded with seasoned chicken and bacon, and topped with ranch dressing. So good.
Chicken Caesar Bowtie Pasta Salad – This salad is loaded with crispy romaine lettuce, tender chicken, crispy bacon, pasta, cheese, croutons and topped with creamy Caesar dressing.
And, these Bacon Green Beans, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, are a delicious side dish recipe you are sure to enjoy as well.
Candied Smoked Bacon
- 24 ounce Applewood smoked or Pecanwood smoked bacon thick cut
- Do NOT preheat oven.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet(s) lined with parchment paper, min ¼" between each slice.
- Place in oven and set at 330° for 20 min.
For the Seasoning
- In a small bowl, whisk all the seasoning ingredients together. Set aside.
- After 20 minutes pull bacon from oven and flip the slices of bacon over. Place back in oven.
- Pull bacon out again after 5 min and sprinkle with seasoning covering the bacon thoroughly but not too thick and place back into the oven.
- Every 5 min, open oven and shake the baking sheet to coat top of bacon with hot bacon fat (this makes that nice crunchy/soft texture on top).
- Bacon is done when top edge of the bacon is the color of coffee.
- Remove from the oven and place bacon on a wire rack to cool. It's very, very sticky until it has cooled completely.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.