This hearty and delicious buffalo chicken stuffed potato recipe is packed with flavor. Tender shredded chicken mixed with potato flesh, cheese, sour cream, butter, hot sauce, and buffalo wing sauce and topped with more cheese, then baked again.
If you love buffalo wings and twice-baked potatoes, then this recipe is for you. It’s a delicious mashup of two great tastes that taste great together. I’ve been making twice-baked potatoes for decades. They’re actually a lot easier to make than their appearance would suggest, and they’re always loaded with flavor. The baked potato flesh is mild and the perfect vehicle for adding all kinds of flavors. Over the years, I’ve mostly stuck to variations that use cheese, sour cream, chives, and the traditional baked potato toppings, but with this recipe, I wanted to do something totally different. So I made a full meal that has all the flavors of everyone’s favorite appetizer – Buffalo chicken. These potatoes are perfect for lunches, dinners, and any party, potluck, or gathering.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potatoes
These stuffed potatoes take the classic twice-baked potato and gives it a spicy twist. It starts with large russet potatoes baked to perfection and hollowed out. Then, I add shredded chicken, butter, sour cream, hot sauce, Buffalo wing sauce, Mozzarella cheese, and ranch dressing to create a stuffed potato that’s overflowing with the spicy, zippy flavors of Buffalo chicken. It’s a complete meal in and of itself, and it’s always so filling and full of delicious flavors. Serve it up for lunches or dinners, bring it to parties, or set them out for your next game-day party.
Why You’ll Love These Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potatoes
- They’re overflowing with delicious flavor.
- They combine two game-day favorites in one hearty recipe – Buffalo chicken and twice-baked potatoes.
- They’re actually an incredibly easy recipe to make and use only simple ingredients.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potatoes Tips and Variations
This recipe is incredibly recipe, but even easy recipes have their little secrets. I have some tips here to help you make these the best they can possibly be. I also have some fun variations I think you’ll enjoy.
- The bigger the potato the better!
- The sweet spot for cutting open the potatoes is when they’re cool enough to handle but still as warm as possible.
- Leave about ⅓ of an inch of potato wall inside the skin so the potatoes don’t fall in on themselves.
- Be gentle when spooning the potato and chicken mixture back into the potato shells so you don’t cut them open or break them.
- Try topping your potatoes with blue cheese instead of mozzarella.
- Bacon is always a great addition to stuffed potatoes.
- Diced green onions are delicious in this recipe.
Additional Stuffed Potato Toppings
These potatoes are absolutely delicious all on their own, but isn’t it fun to add toppings to anything? Yes, it is. I have some great topping ideas that you can add to these potatoes.
- Ranch dressing
- More hot sauce or Buffalo sauce
- Sour cream
- Crumbled bacon
- Blue cheese dressing
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potatoes FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about Buffalo chicken and stuffed potatoes.
What are the best potatoes for twice-baked potatoes?
Russet potatoes are the undisputed king of twice-baked potatoes. You can find them in very large sizes, and their skin is nice and sturdy. Leave a layer of potato when you scoop out the center, and your skins will stay put while you prepare and add the stuffing mix.
What do you put on top of a potato?
- Diced onions or green onions
- Sour cream
- Black beans
Can you make twice-baked potatoes in advance?
Yes, you can. You can keep them warm for up to 6 hours before serving them. You can also make them the day before and then reheat them in the oven the next day.
How long will stuffed potatoes last in the fridge?
Stuffed potatoes will last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Is it okay to freeze twice-baked potatoes?
Absolutely. Wrap each potato in a double layer of plastic wrap and place them in an airtight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag and freeze for up to a month.
How to Store and Reheat Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potatoes
Store your stuffed potatoes in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For longer storage, you can freeze them using the method described above for up to a month.
To reheat the potatoes, place them on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potato Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these potatoes. You’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
- Large russet potatoes
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sour cream
- Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Buffalo wing sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Ranch dressing
- Optional: top with sliced green onions
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potatoes
Making these stuffed potatoes is far easier than you might think. It only takes a few simple steps!
Step 1: Bake the Potatoes and Boil the Chicken
Wash and dry the potatoes and poke holes in each several times with a fork. Rub them with vegetable oil and place them on a baking sheet. Then, bake them for an hour at 375 degrees or until fork tender. Add chicken to a large pot of water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook chicken until done. Drain and shred chicken. Set aside.
Step 2: Hollow out the Potatoes
Let the baked potatoes cool until you can safely handle them. Then, cut a V lengthwise down the center of each cooked potato and spoon out potatoes, leaving a wall of potato against the skin about ⅓-inch thick.
Step 3: Make the Potato Mixture
In a large bowl, combine the potato flesh, butter, sour cream, hot sauce, buffalo sauce, mozzarella cheese, shredded chicken, and seasonings, and mix until combined.
Step 4: Bake Again
Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins, top with more mozzarella cheese, and bake for another 15 minutes at 375 degrees or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown. Drizzle with ranch or your favorite dressing and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potato Recipe Today
These Buffalo chicken stuffed potatoes are loaded with flavor, not work. They’re full of the delicious flavors of Buffalo chicken, right down to the melted cheese on top, and it’s all served up in a baked potato boat. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again. It’s a fantastic lunch, dinner, appetizer, or snack for any time. Give it a try. You’re going to love it!
More Delicious Potato Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes – A super easy and delicious side dish recipe that is made with the perfect blend of seasonings and then coated in parmesan cheese.
Loaded Roasted Potatoes – A hearty and flavorful potato recipe that is loaded with beef, cheese, and delicious southwest flavors. It’s a delicious side dish that compliments any main course.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – Creamy, fluffy, and the most delicious delicious mashed potatoes that you will even have, that are easily made right in the instant pot.
And, this Brisket Baked Potato recipe from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. It’s a tender baked potato topped with leftover brisket, barbecue sauce, and crispy onion strings.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Potato
- In a large pot of water, bring to a boil over medium high heat, and cook chicken until done. Drain and shred chicken. Set aside.
- Wash and dry potatoes and pierce each potato with a fork multiple times.
- Rub with vegetable oil and place on a baking sheet and bake at 375° for one hour or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Carefully remove from the oven and when potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut a lengthwise “V” in the top of each potato and spoon out the flesh into a medium bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, hot sauce, buffalo sauce, mozzarella cheese and shredded chicken to bowl. Stir until combined and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon potato mixture back into the potatoes, top with additional mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly, and cheese starts to brown. Enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.