These banana bars are moist and delicious and topped with a light and luscious cream cheese frosting. The sweetness of the bananas perfectly complements the tangy frosting, and the flavor combination is simply irresistible. Every bite, from the soft and moist banana bar to the smooth and creamy frosting, is a sure-fire crowd-pleaser.
If you love bananas, you’re going to adore these delicious banana bars. They are absolutely loaded with banana flavor in every bite, and the simple cream cheese frosting on top really makes them pop. These tender, moist bars are almost like little slices of cake, they’re so tender and moist, and with a full FOUR bananas in the mix, they are banana-licious. These make a great dessert for a weeknight meal or any occasion at all, and they’re so simple to make, you’ll be looking for reasons to whip up a batch.
These delicious bars start with four bananas, so they are abso-freaking-lutely packed with banana flavor. I add the mashed bananas to a simple batter mix and bake until it’s golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Then, I top the bars with a sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting that perfectly complements all that banana flavor, slice, and serve. That’s all there is to it. The entire process only takes about an hour from start to finish, and when you’re all done, you’ll some of the best banana baked anything you’ve ever had!
Why You’ll Love This Easy Banana Bars Recipe
- The flavor combination of the rip bananas along with the light and creamy cream cheese frosting is absolutely delicious.
- The cream cheese frosting is so light and has an amazing flavor. It’s so delicious you will want to hang onto this frosting to use on all your dessert bar recipes.
- They are surprisingly easy to make, and the ingredients are simple and are pantry staples, and the steps are straightforward and easy to follow.
Banana Bars Ingredients
These bars only take a few simple baking ingredients that you can find in your kitchen or at your local grocery store.
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Large eggs
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- Ripe bananas
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Banana Bars
Making these banana bars is a simple, straightforward affair. If you’ve ever made banana bread or a simple cake, you’ll have no problem making these bars. It only takes a few simple steps!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 15×10 jelly roll pan or a 13×9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Beat the butter and sugar until creamy in a medium mixing bowl. Then, beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix well.
Step 3: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Step 4: Make the Banana Bar Batter
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Then, mix in the mashed bananas.
Step 5: Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Bake for 22 to 27 minutes if using a jelly roll pan or 35 to 40 minutes if using a baking dish. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
Step 6: Make the Frosting
Beat the butter and cream cheese together in a large mixing bowl. Then, add the vanilla and mix. Finally, slowly add the powdered sugar, beating until creamy.
Step 7: Frost
When the banana cake is completely cooled, frost the top, slice into squares, and serve.
- Mix your banana bar batter until combined but no further. Overmixing can lead to tough bars.
- Fold the mashed bananas in after the rest of the batter has been mixed.
- Be sure you cool your banana cake completely before adding the frosting.
- Cream your butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy for the best frosting texture.
- Try adding chopped nuts, such as pecans, walnuts, or almonds to the bars.
- For even more banana flavor, make buttercream frosting with added banana extract.
- Chocolate chips are wonderful in the bars.
- If you don’t have sour cream, you can use full-fat Greek yogurt.
- Frost these banana bars with peanut butter frosting or a brown butter frosting.
What to Serve with Banana Bars
Serve these banana bars with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea. You can serve these bars with a bit of dark chocolate and/or fresh fruit, as well.
Banana bars are dessert squares made with banana and topped with cream cheese frosting. They are essentially little frosted cake squares.
Place bananas in a closed paper bag. The paper bag traps the ethylene released by the banana while allowing oxygen to enter. This speeds up the ripening process. To ripen bananas even faster, add an apple, pear, apricot, or avocado to the paper bag, as well.
If a banana has mold on it, is releasing liquid, or has an unpleasant smell, it’s gone bad.
In any baked good, the riper the banana the better. At a minimum, the skin should be covered in brown spots. For the most intense banana flavor, use bananas with skins that are completely brown or even black. So long as there is no mold, liquid, or unpleasant smell, you can use them in your baked goods
These banana bars freeze well and will last for up to a month when stored properly.
How to Store Banana Bars Leftovers
Store these banana bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For longer storage, chill the bars, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then freeze them for up to a month in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
Try This Delicious Banana Bar Recipe Today
These banana bars are as rich and delicious as they are easy to make. With so much banana flavor and a sweet, tangy cream cheese frosting, they’re a banana lover’s dream. And they’re so easy to make, they’re a busy baker’s dream. Give these banana bars a try, and I guarantee you’ll fall in love with them.
More Delicious Banana Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Banana Parfait Recipe is an easy, no-bake, banana dessert made with creamy banana pudding, fresh bananas and strawberries, all on top of a graham cracker crust, and homemade whipped cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan or a 13 x 9 baking dish with a non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Beat eggs, one at a time, into mixture.
- Add sour cream and vanilla, and mix well.
- Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl, and stir into wet ingredients.
- Add mashed bananas, stir.
- Pour batter into a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan or a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- *If using a jelly roll pan, bake 22-27 minutes, or 35-40 minutes in a baking dish, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Cool completely then frost.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until creamy.
- Frost bars once cooled.
- Cut and enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.