These banana nut muffins are a moist and delicious banana muffin recipe that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon snack. Each muffin is packed with bananas and chopped walnuts, topped with additional walnuts, and baked to perfection.
I love banana nut bread, and I love muffins. So of course, I decided to put them together and make my own muffins with that classic flavor combination. These muffins have been a family favorite for a long time now, but I never got around to sharing them on the site until now. I can’t wait for all of you to try them! If your family is anything like mine, you’ll find these muffins disappear almost instantly!
Banana Nut Muffins
A simple, sweet, batter comes together with mashed bananas and chopped walnuts to create tender, moist muffins loaded with banana nut goodness. These are the kind of muffins that make your heart as happy as they do your belly. With all that delicious flavor and such a fantastic texture, these are the perfect treats for any muffin lover. Serve them with coffee for a sweet breakfast or simply keep them on hand for afternoon snacking. They also make a deliciously sweet addition to any party or get-together. Trust me, these are always winners.
Why You’ll Love These Banana Nut Muffins
- They’re moist and delicious.
- They’re the perfect muffin for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon snack.
- It uses simple ingredients that are most likely in your kitchen already. That includes ripe bananas on the counter if you’re anything like me.
- Everyone always loves these muffins and how easy they are to make.
Banana Nut Muffins Tips and Variations
These muffins are incredibly easy to make, but as we all know, even easy recipes have their own little tricks. I have a couple of those to share along with some great variations I think you’ll enjoy.
- Let your egg come to room temperature before using it. This helps the muffins rise and be more tender.
- Mash your bananas extremely well so they incorporate more easily when mixed.
- When choosing your bananas, the riper the better. The more ripe your bananas are, the more sugar they’ll contain.
- Add chocolate chips for an extra kick of sweetness.
- Try topping your muffins with toasted coconut.
- Use a mini muffin tin to create a bite-sized version of these muffins.
- Use almonds or chopped pecans instead of walnuts for a different flavor combo.
How to Mash Bananas
There are a few ways to mash bananas, and they all work. Use the method you like best.
- Slice up the bananas and mash them with a fork.
- Add banana chunks to a blender or food processor and puree.
- Add whole, peeled bananas to a large mixing bowl and use a potato masher to mash them.
Banana Nut Muffins FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about banana nut muffins.
What nuts go well with banana muffins?
While walnuts are the classic pairing, almonds or pecans are also very good with banana muffins.
Are banana nut muffins healthy?
Generally, they’re not healthy. They’re made with butter and sugar, neither of which are healthy. However, anything can be enjoyed in moderation if you don’t overdo it.
How long will banana nut muffins last?
These muffins will keep for up to 4 days at room temperature or up to a week in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Can you freeze muffins?
Absolutely. Muffins freeze very well. Just open-air freeze them, then place them in a heavy-duty freezer bag and store them for up to 3 months.
How do you make baked muffins moister?
- Don’t overmix your batter. Mix it until it’s just combined.
- For moister muffins, use butter and oil together.
- Don’t overbake your muffins. Remove them from the oven as soon as a toothpick inserted into the center of them comes out clean.
How to Store, Freeze, and Thaw Banana Nut Muffins
Store these muffins at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 4 days or up to a week in the refrigerator. For longer storage, open-air freeze them, then transfer them to a heavy-duty freezer bag for up to 3 months.
To thaw these muffins, place them in the refrigerator overnight.
Banana Nut Muffin Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these muffins. You’ll probably have most if not all of them in your kitchen already.
- Granulated sugar
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- All-purpose flour
- Medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Chopped walnuts
- Coarse sugar for topping
How to Make Banana Nut Muffins
Making these muffins couldn’t be simpler. It only takes a few minutes and a few steps!
Step 1: prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray it with nonstick spray. You can also line the tins and spray them to ensure that no part of your muffins sticks. Set aside.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Mix the melted butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla together in a large bowl.
Step 4: Make the Batter
Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix. Then, add the mashed bananas and 1 cup of chopped walnuts and stir.
Step 5: Bake
Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tins and sprinkle coarse sugar and the remaining walnuts over each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the tops are golden.
Try This Easy Banana Nut Muffin Recipe Today
These delicious banana nut muffins are loaded with flavor and texture, and they’re so easy to make. It doesn’t get better than that! Whether you serve them as an afternoon snack, a sweet breakfast, or bring them to a party, everyone will always love them. Make sure you make enough. They go fast!
More Delicious Banana Recipes You Will Also Enjoy
No Bake Banana Pudding – This is a delicious southern favorite banana pudding recipe that is always a requested favorite. So easy to make and tastes delicious.
Bananas Foster Monkey Bread – A delicious monkey bread recipe loaded with banana slices, a delicious bananas foster sauce, and grand biscuits rolled in sugar and cinnamon. So scrumptious!
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas – Only 3 ingredients to make these fun and delicious frozen bananas that the kids are going to love to eat and help make.
And, here is a Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, is an absolutely delicious banana cake recipe that you are sure to enjoy.
Banana Nut Muffins
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together until combined.
- Stir in flour mixture and then fold in mashed bananas and one cup of chopped walnuts.
- Spoon muffin batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle coarse sugar and the remaining ¼ cup of chopped walnuts on each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are golden.
- Carefully remove from the oven and let sit for a couple minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.