These delicious Avocado Egg Rolls are crispy, crunchy, and filled with avocado, black bean, corn, green onions, and cilantro and seasoned perfectly, wrapped in egg roll wrappers and fried to a golden brown. A favorite appetizer recipe that is requested often.
I love egg rolls. I also love all things Tex-Mex. Living here in Texas, it’s kind of a prerequisite. Do you know what else I love? Combining different kinds of cuisine. That’s why I love making these avocado egg rolls. They’re a delicious combination of two of my favorite kinds of foods – Asian and Tex-Mex. These delicious egg rolls are perfect for lunches, dinners, afternoons snacks, or to bring to your next potluck or get-together. Being so flavorful and so easy to make, they’re really the perfect recipe, especially if you love Mexican food, Asian food, or both!
Unlike some of the recipes I’ve been sharing lately, this is not one that I’ve been making for years. In fact, I only started making it. However, it passed the ultimate test for making an appearance on the blog. My family devoured them when I made them. I made a batch of these and they were gone by the end of the evening. That’s when I knew they were not only a winner, but they were blog-worthy. So here they are!
Avocado Egg Rolls
These delicious egg rolls are absolutely loaded with Tex-Mex flavors that will take you south of the border with each and every bite. Perfectly fried, golden-brown egg rolls are stuffed with avocado, black beans, corn, onions, cilantro, and zesty seasonings. Every bite is a joy, beginning with that classic crunch of fried egg roll and then followed by an explosion of southwest flavors. They’re perfect for any occasion, but I especially love to serve them as an addition to the rest of my spread on Taco Tuesdays.
Why You’ll Love These Avocado Egg Rolls
- They’re super crispy and so full of flavor.
- They’re a delicious appetizer that everyone always loves.
- They only take a few simple ingredients to make.
Avocado Egg Rolls Tips and Variations
This is an extremely simple recipe to make, but I still have a couple of tips to help make them the best they can be. I also have some great variations that I think you’ll love.
- Don’t go overboard when moistening your egg roll edges to seal them. You want them to be damp enough to stick, not waterlogged and soggy.
- Don’t crowd your pan or skillet when frying the egg rolls. Too many egg rolls at once in the oil will lower the temperature and cause the egg rolls to cook too slowly and get greasy.
- Try adding ground beef, chorizo, or your favorite ground sausage.
- For extra spicy egg rolls, try adding diced jalapeno.
- Dip your egg rolls in salsa, taco sauce, or sour cream for even more flavor.
How to Pick the Perfect Avocado
The perfect avocado should be a deep, dark color. Bright green avocados are not ripe. In addition, when you hold the avocado in your hand and gently squeeze it, it should yield to the pressure somewhat without feeling mushy. If the avocado really gives when you squeeze, it’s overripe.
How to Ripen an Avocado
Unlike other fruits, avocados don’t ripen on the tree. Instead, they ripen or soften after they’ve been harvested. If you need to speed up the ripening process, place your avocado in a paper bag with an apple or banana for 2 to 3 days until it reaches the color and firmness described above.
How to Wrap an Egg Roll
Wrapping an egg roll is easier than you might think. If you do it one time, you’ll practically be a master. That’s how simple it is.
- Lay out the egg roll wrapper with a corner toward you so it looks like a diamond.
- Place the filling on the lower third of the wrapper just above the bottom corner.
- Roll the corner closest to you over the filling once, tucking it under the filling.
- Gently press down on each side of the filling to flatten the wrapper.
- Fold the left and right sides of the wrapper toward the middle.
- Brush egg wash or moisten the remaining wrapper with water.
- Roll the egg roll forward, wrapping the remaining wrapper around itself.
Avocado Egg Rolls FAQ
If you have questions about avocado egg rolls, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
What is the best avocado?
Hass avocados are universally beloved as the best avocado in the world. They have an intense flavor and very creamy flesh, making them perfect for guacamole. However, the flesh is also firm enough for slicing or dicing.
What is a good dipping sauce for egg rolls?
These egg rolls are not your traditional variety, so the sauces used for them will be different from regular egg rolls. That’s why I’ve just included the best ideas for both.
For Traditional Egg Rolls
- Sweet and sour sauce
- Duck sauce
- Soy sauce
- Sweet and spicy mustard
For Avocado Egg Rolls
- Taco sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour cream
- Creamy avocado ranch
What is an avocado egg roll?
It’s an egg roll stuffed with southwest ingredients like avocado, black beans, corn, and cilantro and then fried to golden brown perfection.
How long will avocado egg rolls last in the fridge?
They’ll keep for 3 to 4 days in an air-tight container.
How to Store and Reheat Avocado Egg Rolls
Store your egg rolls in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for 3 to 4 days.
To reheat egg rolls, place them on a baking sheet lined with foil. Then, bake them for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees until hot and crispy.
Avocado Egg Rolls Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make these egg rolls. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Avocados, seed removed, diced
- Black beans, drained and rinsed
- Southwest corn, drained
- Green onions, sliced
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Slap Ya Mama
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Avocado Egg Rolls
This is a fairly simple recipe. It only takes a few minutes and a few steps to make.
Step 1: Combine the Ingredients
Add the avocado to a medium bowl and squeeze the juice of the lime over it. Then, add the seasonings, green onions, and cilantro and stir. Finally ad the beans and corn and stir again.
Step 2: Make the Egg Rolls
Lay out an egg roll wrapper with the point facing you and add 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture to the lower third of the wrapper. Then, roll up the egg roll. Fold the bottom point over the filling, tucking it under the filling. Press down the sides next to the filling and fold the sides in. Finally, roll the egg roll forward, wrapping the remaining wrapper around itself and sealing it by moistening the wrapper.
Step 3: Fry
Heat your oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, place 4 to 5 egg rolls into the hot oil and cook until golden brown on all sides. Place the egg rolls on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Let rest for a couple of minutes and enjoy!
Try These Delicious Avocado Egg Rolls Recipe Today
These avocado egg rolls are absolutely loaded with southwestern goodness, and they’re so easy to make! It’s the perfect combination. Make up a batch of these, and I know you’ll be adding them to your regular recipe rotation. With a recipe this flavorful and easy, it’s hard to say no! Try them today, and you’ll see what I mean.
More Delicious Appetizers Recipes
Jalapeno Cheese Bites – Creamy and cheesy jalapeno bites that are deep fried to a golden perfection.
Prosciutto Crescent Rolls with Asparagus – Flaky crescent rolls that are filled with tender asparagus, gouda cheese, and a slice of prosciutto and then baked until golden brown.
Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket – The perfect combination of pigs in a blanket and jalapeno poppers in one delicious recipe making this absolutely incredible appetizer recipe.
Also, try these Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. A delicious appetizer loaded with rib eye steak, provolone cheese, and bell peppers and onions.
Avocado Egg Rolls with Black Beans and Corn
- Using a medium bowl, add avocado and squeeze the juice from lime over avocado.
- Add seasonings, green onions and cilantro, stir, then add beans and corn. Stir.
- Take one egg roll wrapper at a time and add two heaping tablespoons of avocado mixture to the center.
- Using your clean fingers, moisten the edges of wrapper with water.
- Fold the two outer edges inward over the mixture. Next, bring one end of the wrapper up and over the avocado mixture and roll until the other end adheres.
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Place 4-5 egg rolls at a time into the hot oil and cook until golden brown on all sides.
- Carefully remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.