This delicious apple cranberry crisp is packed with tender, tart apples and tangy cranberries, nestled beneath a golden, buttery crisp topping, and baked to golden perfection. The perfect festive, holiday dessert the whole family is going to enjoy.
Apple crisp is a classic dessert loved by all throughout the year. Cranberries are the quintessential holiday flavor, and they’re found in tons of Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes. I decided to combine them into a super delicious dessert perfect for the holidays and winter, in general! I’ve been making this variation of classic apple crisp for years, and it all came about simply because I had some leftover cranberries. I was making cranberry sauce and an apple crisp for Thanksgiving the next day, and I decided to throw some leftover cranberries into the mix.
A few just weren’t enough, so I ended up adding more the next time I made it. Then, I added more again. Finally, I had made a crisp fully loaded with apples and cranberries. The rest is history! I’ve been making this version for the holidays ever since.
Apple Cranberry Crisp
This delicious dessert starts with a classic apple crisp filling of apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I add fresh cranberries to the mix and let it sit for a few minutes so the flavors can combine. I add the filling to a dish, top it with a classic crisp topping, and bake until the entire thing is hot, bubbly, and golden brown. It takes a little over and hour from start to finish, and when it’s all said and done, I have a holiday version of classic apple crisp that’s sweet, tangy, and tart. It’s the best!
Why You’ll Love This Apple Cranberry Crisp Recipe
- This crisp combines the best of both worlds: Granny Smith apples and sweet, tangy fresh cranberries.
- The contrast between the soft, juicy fruit filling and the buttery crunch topping is pure deliciousness.
- It’s the perfect dessert with the classic flavors of fall, and with each bite offers a delightful burst of flavor and freshness.
Apple Cranberry Crisp Ingredients
Like any apple crisp, this recipe only takes a few simple ingredients to make. The only difference is the addition of the cranberries. You’ll find almost everything you need in your kitchen right now, and anything you don’t have is just a quick trip to the grocery store away.
- Granny smith apples
- Fresh cranberries
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Chopped pecans
- All purpose flour
- Light brown sugar
How to Make Apple Cranberry Crisp
Making this delicious dessert is just as easy as shopping for the ingredients. It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps, and you won’t have to spend a ton of time in the kitchen. The majority of the time needed for this recipe is actually for baking!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Filling
Combine the sliced apples and cranberries in a large bowl. Then, in a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, and salt together. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples and cranberries, stir to coat, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, stir again.
Step 3: Bake
Pour the filling into the baking dish and add sliced butter randomly over the top. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove it from the oven and set aside.
Step 4: Make the Crisp Mixture
Whisk the flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Then, cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry cutter until crumbly.
Step 5: Bake Again
Spread the mixture over the fruit and bake for another 45 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
- It’s important to let the apples, cranberries, and sugar mixture sit for a few minutes so the fruit can begin to macerate.
- Be sure to whisk the sugar mixture together before adding it to the fruit so everything is well combined.
- For the best topping, cube your butter, then keep it chilled until ready to cut it into the crisp mixture.
- Be sure to wash and sort your cranberries so you get out any bad ones.
- Try adding orange zest for even more holiday flavor.
- You can add oats to the topping for a crumble recipe.
- Chopped walnuts work well in this recipe.
- If you have nut allergies or simply don’t like nuts, omit them. The crisp will still be delicious!
What to Serve with Apple Cranberry Crisp
Serve this crisp warm topped with a scoop of vanilla, cinnamon, or apple ice cream. You can also top it with whipped cream or Cool Whip. It’s also delicious with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee or tea.
Apple cranberry crisp is a classic crisp dessert variation with a filling of apples and cranberries.
Granny Smith apples are the queens of baking and make a delicious crisp. However, Honeycrisp, Rome, Cortland, Empire, Gala, or Braeburn apples are all excellent choices, as well.
Apple crumble is a baked dish topped with a mixture of brown sugar, flour, and butter. Apple crisp is a baked dish topped with the same mixture but with oats added.
You sure can! Combine the apple and cranberry filling ingredients with a bit of lemon juice to keep the apples from browning, then refrigerate the mixture overnight. When ready to bake the next day, pop it in the oven, the make the crisp topping and bake again as called for in the recipe.
Apple cranberry crisp freezes very well and will last for 2 to 3 months when stored properly.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Apple Cranberry Crisp
Refrigerate this crisp in an airtight container for up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
To reheat the crisp, defrost it in the refrigerator overnight if frozen. Then, bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes until heated through. Check the crisp after 10 to 15 minutes to ensure the topping isn’t getting too brown. If it looks like it’s getting too dark, tent it with foil.
Try This Delicious Apple Cranberry Crisp Recipe Today
This apple cranberry crisp is full of the flavors of the holidays, and it’s so easy to make. With a total time of about an hour and half and most of that spent in the oven baking, this is an easy recipe that takes very little effort. That’s exactly the combination you want in a holiday recipe! Give this delicious apple crisp variation a try and get ready to fall in love!
More Apple and Cranberry Recipes You’ll Enjoy
This Mini Apple Cheesecake Bites recipe is the perfect dessert for any occasion. They have the perfect combination of creamy cheesecake, sweet apples, and graham cracker crusts.
Apple Cranberry Crisp
Apple Cranberry Filling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Apple Cranberry Filling
- In a large bowl, add apple slices and fresh cranberries.
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, and salt together, and sprinkle over apples and cranberries. Stir to coat. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, then stir.
- Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish and randomly add sliced butter on top of the fruit.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and brown sugar together.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly.
- Spread crisp topping over the fruit and place back in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes
- Carefully remove from the oven.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or cool whip.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.