Steak nachos are an easy nachos recipe using a delicious leftover steak mixture that is made with peppers and onions along with refried beans, two types of cheese, on top of corn tortilla chips, and baked until the cheese is hot and melted.
Nachos are one of my favorite foods. They’re also one of my kids’ favorite foods, which means I’ve made them quite a lot over the years. Of all the food that I would serve my children and their friends after school, nachos were the biggest hit. You just can’t beat that combo of meat, cheese, veggies, and crispy corn tortilla chips. Over the years, I’ve made nachos in all kinds of varieties, but one of my favorite ways to make them is with leftover steak. It’s a great way to use up that leftover beef, and it makes the nachos feel so fancy! The best part is that because I’m using leftover steak, it’s actually faster than making nachos with fresh ground beef!
These delicious nachos start with leftover steak. Whatever you have on hand will work. I cut it into bite-sized pieces, then I sauté my veggies and mix it all together. After that, I simply add tortilla chips to a pan, top them with refried beans, the steak and veggie mix, and cheese. Then, I bake until melty. That’s all there is to it. The results? Pure, nacho deliciousness. These steak nachos make the perfect snack, appetizer, or even a fun meal for Taco Tuesday!
Why You’ll Love This Leftover Steak Nachos Recipe
- They’re super easy to make and use equally simple ingredients like leftover steak, bell peppers, onions, and a few others.
- They make a quick and easy lunch or dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy.
- They’re a great addition to any party or Taco Tuesday spread.
Steak Nachos Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. Most of them are pantry staples, so you might not have to do much shopping at all. If you do, you’ll find everything you need easily at your local grocery store.
- Leftover Tri Tip or any leftover steak, cut into small bite-size pieces
- Green bell pepper, diced
- Red bell pepper, diced
- Jalapeno pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- Medium onion, diced
- Vegetable oil
- Refried beans
- Pepper jack cheese or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Corn tortilla chips
How to Make Steak Nachos
Making these nachos is just about as easy as it gets. It’s basically a matter of heating, layering, and heating again. That’s it!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aide.
Step 2: Cook the Veggies and Meat
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron skillet or large frying pan. Then, add the bell peppers, jalapeno, and onions and saute until the vegetables are almost tender. Then, add the leftover steak, stir, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the meat is heated through.
Step 3: Heat the Refried Beans
Add the refried beans to a small pan and heat over medium heat until hot.
Step 4: Layer the Nachos
Add a layer of tortilla chips, in an even layer, to the prepared baking sheet. Then, top them with refried beans, steak and veggie mixture, and finally both the cheeses. Bake until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Top with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, or your other favorites, and enjoy!
- Add the meat when your vegetables are still crisp-tender, so you don’t overcook the vegetables as the meat heats through.
- Always heat the refried beans before adding them to the nachos. This helps the entire dish bake faster and avoids soggy nachos.
- Always wash your hands and never touch your face when working with hot peppers.
- Omit the jalapenos for a mild version of these nachos.
- Use any kind of leftover steak you have on hand.
- For even spicier nachos, add serrano peppers to the vegetables.
- Try using Mexican or taco blend shredded cheese for these nachos.
What to Serve with Steak Nachos
Steak nachos are great on their own, but they’re even better when you add them to a larger Mexican spread. Try serving them alongside:
- Mexican rice
- Spanish rice
- Chips and salsa
- Chips and guac
What are some other toppings to add to steak nachos?
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Pico de Gallo
- Cotija cheese
- Grilled corn
- Pinto beans
- Black beans
- Black olives
- Pickled red onions
- Diced tomatoes
- Serrano peppers
- Sour cream or Mexican crema
What steak is the best to use for steak nachos?
Any kind of leftover steak will work for these delicious nachos. I love to make them using leftover tri tip, but skirt steak or flank steak work tremendously well, too.
Can you make steak nachos ahead of time?
I don’t recommend making these nachos ahead of time. The longer nachos sit, the soggier the tortilla chips get.
How long will steak nachos last in the fridge?
They’ll last for about 2 days in the refrigerator. Any longer than that, and your tortilla chips are just soggy and gross.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Steak Nachos
Store these nachos in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To reheat them, place them in a skillet with a lid. Cover the nachos with foil and place the lid on it. Then, heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the nachos are crisp and the toppings are heated again.
Try This Delicious Leftover Steak Nachos Recipe Today
These steak nachos are beef, cheesy, and full of flavor. The best part is that they’re ridiculously easy to make, as well! Whether you’re serving them as a dinner, appetizer, afternoon snack, or for game or movie nights, these nachos are always a huge hit. Their combination of flavors makes them a favorite at any gathering. Give them a try, and I know they’ll be a permanent part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Mexican Recipes to Try
Totopos with Beef – These nachos are so hearty, loaded with tons of flavors, and are perfect for game day!
Chicken Flautas – Crispy and delicious flautas loaded with chicken and then baked to perfection in the air fryer.
Jalapeno Cilantro Dip – An easy and delicious appetizer recipe that is super flavorful and great served with tortilla chips or atop your favorite Mexican dish.
And these Mile High Nachos from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. They are a delicious nachos recipe that will surely feed a crowd.
- 3 cups leftover Tri Tip or any leftover steak, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 15 ounce can refried beans
- 1 ½ cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Corn tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a cast iron skillet or large frying pan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add bell peppers, jalapeno and onions to the pan and saute until vegetables are almost tender then add leftover steak, stir to combine and continue to cook until meat is heated. 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place the meat mixture in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat refried beans in a small pan until hot.
- Add a layer of tortilla chips on the prepared pan. Spoon the refried beans and the steak mixture over the tortilla chips and top with both types of shredded cheese.
- Place nachos in the oven until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Remove and enjoy with your favorite toppings, such as, guacamole, salsa, sour cream.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.