Jalapeno popper bites are a delicious and addictive snack that is perfect for any occasion. These bite-sized appetizers are filled with cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, bacon, jalapenos, green onions, and are double coated with a deliciously seasoned panko breadcrumb mixture and deep fried to golden perfection.
If you’ve never had jalapeno popper bites, then I’m here to turn you on to something absolutely delicious! These crispy-on-the-outside gooey-on-the-inside little bites are best described as a cross between jalapeno poppers and mozzarella sticks. Yes, they’re as good as they sound! I love to serve these at parties and gatherings of all kinds or just make up a batch for movie or game nights. I’ve even been known to make them for no reason at all other than that they’re delicious!
Jalapeño Popper Bites
These bites start with a mix of pepper Jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, cream cheese, crumbled bacon, diced jalapenos, and green onions, that I roll into balls and chill. Then, I coat them in flour, buttermilk and egg, breadcrumbs, eggs again, and then finally one last layer of breadcrumbs. It makes for an extra crispy coating when they’re fried. And speaking of that, when they’re all coated, I fry them until they’re super crispy on the outside and melty on the inside. Finally, I stash a few away because they go fast!
Why You’ll Love These Jalapeno Popper Bites
- The cream cheese and cheddar cheese provide a rich and creamy base, while the crispy bacon adds a touch of salty, smoky flavor, and the jalapenos add a bit of spice.
- The flavor combination is simply irresistible and makes them the perfect appetizer for any occasion, whether you’re making them for a party, game day get-together, or a quick and easy weeknight snack.
- They are extra crispy and crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. The double coating of the breadcrumb mixture gives the bites a crispy exterior that perfectly complements the gooey and cheesy interior. The contrast in textures is what makes these bites so addictive.
Jalapeno Popper Bites Ingredients
You’ll need a few ingredients for this recipe, but you can find them all quickly at your local grocery store. There’s nothing fancy here!
- Pepper jack cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Green onion
- All purpose flour
- Large egg
- Panko breadcrumbs (see note)
- Slay Ya Mama seasoning
- Garlic powder or garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Jalapeno Popper Bites
Making these bites is very straightforward. You just do a little mixing and a little frying. That’s all there is to it!
Step 1: Make the Filling
Mix the pepper Jack cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, cream cheese, jalapenos, green onions, and bacon in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Freeze
Roll the mixture into small balls and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until the dredge station is set up.
Step 3: Make the Dredge Station
Add flour to a shallow container. Then, whisk the egg and buttermilk together in a second shallow container. Finally, mix the breadcrumbs and seasonings in a third container.
Step 4: Coat the Filling
Roll each ball in the flour mixture. Then, dip in the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumbs, the egg mixture again, and finally, one last time in the breadcrumbs.
Step 5: Fry
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and fry 4 to 6 balls at a time in the oil until golden brown on all sides. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the balls to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the bites are made. Enjoy!
- Put the panko breadcrumbs in a baggie and crush them a little with a rolling pin to make them a bit smaller. It works so much better!
- It’s important to keep the balls chilled until you’re ready to coat them so they hold their shape.
- Gently tap the balls to remove any excess coating in between dredges. This makes the perfect coating.
- Try using Hatch chiles in place of jalapenos.
- You can use real bacon pieces or bacon bits if you like.
- Use your favorite kind of cheese in this recipe.
What so Serve with Jalapeno Popper Bites
These bites are basically jalapeno poppers in a different shape. As such, they go well with all your favorite jalapeno popper pairings like:
- Ranch dressing
- BBQ sauce
- Chipotle sauce
- Sriracha sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Taco sauce
A jalapeno popper bite is basically a jalapeno popper with a different shape. The jalapenos are in the cheese mixture rather than stuffed with it. The mixture is then coated and fried.
You can make these jalapeno popper bites in the air fryer. Tap them gently to ensure your coating is even, lightly spray the coated balls with cooking spray to enhance the crispiness, then air fry them at 375 for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Almost any sauce will work with these bites. Some great options include:
Pico de Gallo
I don’t recommend frying the bites in advance, but you can make the filling in advance, then refrigerate it until you’re ready to coat and fry the bites.
These will last for up to a month in the freezer.
How to Store and Reheat Jalapeno Popper Bites
Refrigerate these bites for up to 4 days in an airtight container. For longer storage, freeze them for up to a month in a heavy-duty freezer bag with as much air removed as possible.
To reheat, place leftover jalapeno popper bites in the air fryer basket. Air fry the bites for 5 to 6 minutes at 375 until heated through.
Try These Delicious Jalapeno Popper Bites Today
These jalapeno popper bites are basically jalapeno poppers with a different shape. They’re cheesy, spicy, and so crispy! You’ll fall in love with just one bite. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll find yourself making them again and again. You’ll have to or you’ll never hear the end of it!
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These Jalapeno Cream Cheese Crescents Rolls are an easy appetizer recipe made with a delicious cream cheese mixture that has diced jalapenos and seasonings, rolled in crescents and baked to golden perfection.
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and diced
- ½ cup green onion, diced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ -2 cups breadcrumbs (see note)
- 2 teaspoons Slay Ya Mama
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 – 2 cups vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix together pepper jack cheese, cream cheese, jalapenos, and green onions.
- Roll mixture into small balls and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator until the dredge station is set up.
- In a shallow container, add flour. In a second shallow dish, whisk egg and buttermilk together.
- In the third shallow dish, mix together breadcrumbs and seasonings.
- Roll each ball into flour, then into egg mixture, and then in breadcrumbs and then back into egg mixture and final dip in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook about 4 – 6 balls at a time in the hot oil.
- Once golden brown on all sides, remove from hot oil and place on a paper towel lined plate.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.