This green beans and sweet potato casserole with chicken is a super easy, one-dish, hearty chicken recipe that is seasoned perfectly and oven-baked. Made with tender, juicy chicken breasts, fresh green beans, sweet potatoes, and a kick of Cajun spice, it’s a recipe to delight.
Casseroles are delicious, they’re easy, and they’re fast. That’s the trifecta for me and probably for you, too. This casserole has long been one of my favorites because it has all the hallmarks of a great casserole along with being super healthy, too. It’s so full of flavor and so easy, and on top of that, it’s actually good for my family. That’s a winner in my book. I love to serve this up when my family comes over for dinner, and I’ve brought it to potlucks on more than one occasion. No matter where I go or when I serve it, it always gets devoured.
Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole with Chicken
This delicious casserole is super easy to make and so full of flavor. It’s also healthy, which isn’t always the case with casseroles. I love that I’m able to serve something to my friends and family that satisfies their tastebuds without clogging their arteries! LOL. This one really delivers on both ease and flavor. It comes together quickly, and it’s loaded with tender, white meat chicken, perfectly cooked green beans, the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes, and a kick of flavor with Cajun seasoning and red pepper flakes.
Why You’ll Love This Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole
- It’s super easy to make. In fact, it only takes a few minutes of prep and less than an hour of baking.
- It uses simple ingredients that you can find easily at your local grocery store.
- And, it’s absolutely full of flavor. It’s one of those recipes with a flavor that is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.
Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole Tips and Variations
This is a super easy recipe, but I still have some tips to help you make it the best it can be. I also have some great variations you can use to turn this recipe into several.
- Be sure to spray your casserole dish with nonstick spray to prevent sticking.
- Never cut your sweet potato into pieces larger than about an inch. They need to be on the small side to cook properly.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use bottled minced garlic.
- Try other meat like chicken thighs and pork chops. You can also use your favorite sausage.
- Add any of your favorite vegetables to this dish.
- Omit the red pepper flakes if you don’t like heat.
Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole with Chicken FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this casserole.
Can I freeze this chicken casserole?
Yes, you can. When frozen properly, it will last for about 4 to 6 months in the freezer.
Can yams be substituted for sweet potatoes?
No. While many people refer to sweet potatoes with the name yams, they’re entirely different. Sweet potatoes are sweet and moist while yams are starchy and dry.
Can this green beans and sweet potato casserole be made in advance?
Yes, it can. Unlike white potatoes, sweet potatoes won’t turn brown when cut and peeled, so you can put this casserole together the day before and then cook it.
How long with this last in the fridge?
It will keep well for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Storing and Reheating
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. For longer storage, wrap the casserole tightly in its original container in a double layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil or transfer it to an air-tight, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
To reheat the casserole place it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole with Chicken Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this. You can find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Large sweet potato
- Fresh green beans
- Vegetable oil
- Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
How to Make Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole with Chicken
Making this casserole is even easier than shopping for the ingredients. It only takes a few simple steps, and you’re done!
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
Step 2: Combine All Ingredients
Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and stir to coat.
Step 3: Bake
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading out into an even layer. Then, cover the dish with foil and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
Try This Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole with Chicken
This delicious green beans with sweet potato casserole with chicken is quick, easy, and absolutely full of flavor. It only takes a few minutes of prep and less than an hour in the oven, and you’ll have a feast for the family that everyone will love. With a combination like that, you need to give this one a try. Once you do, I know you’ll find yourself making it again and again.
More Delicious Casserole Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole – A hearty, cheesy, chicken enchilada casserole that is easy to make and is a delicious weeknight dinner. Loaded with perfectly seasoned chicken, cheese, olives and more, baked in a green sauce. Easy and delicious.
Green Chili Corn Casserole – This green chili corn casserole recipe is a delicious twist from the classic side dish recipe. Loaded with corn, cream corn, two types of cheese, and more, this is an easy recipe you are going to enjoy.
Breakfast Casserole with Biscuits – This is an easy breakfast casserole loaded with sausage, eggs, cheese and biscuits. A hearty breakfast recipe the family is going to love.
And, here is a delicious Bow Tie Pasta Lasagna from Great Grub, Delicious Treats that you might enjoy as well.
Green Beans and Sweet Potato Casserole with Chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 ounce bag fresh green beans cut in half
- ⅛ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama® seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400° and spray a 9×13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a large bowl, add all ingredients into the bowl and stir to coat.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish, spread out in an even layer, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Carefully remove from the oven and enjoy!
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards.