Here is a hearty and delicious chicken salad sandwich with grapes and walnuts that is easy to make. Made with tender chicken, grapes, walnuts, water chestnuts, mayonnaise, and more, sandwiched between toasted deli swirl rye pumpernickel bread. It’s a nice variation of a classic chicken salad sandwich.
Chicken salad is a classic recipe that’s so versatile. That’s why I love to make it so much. I can serve it with crackers as an appetizer or as a main dish. I love the combination of flavors and textures, and the ability to serve it in so many ways makes it a great choice for almost any occasion. I’ve made a lot of different chicken salad variations over the years, but one of my favorites is this tasty iteration that uses grapes and walnuts. It’s so easy and has a fantastic, complex flavor, making it perfect for any meal or occasion. I love to serve it on rye bread to create this delicious chicken salad sandwich. It’s perfect for family lunches or dinners, parties, or any time you’re in the mood for a hearty, delicious sandwich.
Chicken Salad Sandwich with Grapes and Walnuts
This delicious sandwich starts with my chicken salad with grapes and walnuts recipe. Tender cooked chicken, red grapes, red onion, green onion, chopped walnuts, and water chestnuts come together with a mayonnaise-based dressing to create a creamy chicken salad with tangy, sweet, and earthy flavors and tons of texture. Then, I serve it on hearty swirled rye and pumpernickel bread along with some lettuce. It’s a hefty sandwich overflowing with delicious flavors.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
- It’s an easy chicken salad recipe that uses simple ingredients.
- It’s a chicken salad recipe overflowing with flavor that the entire family will love.
- It makes a hearty sandwich on any bread you choose. Just pick your favorite and throw some chicken salad on it!
Tips and Variations
This is an incredibly simple recipe, so I don’t have a ton of tips here. There are only a couple. I do, however, have some variations on the sandwich that I think you’ll enjoy.
- Shred your chicken as soon as you can comfortably handle it. Warm or hot chicken shreds much better than cool chicken.
- The best way to shred chicken is with two shredding claws. Two forks will work if you don’t have them.
- Make the sandwich with your favorite hearty bread. Rye, pumpernickel, brioche, sourdough, Italian, and other such breads are all great choices.
- Top your sandwich with lettuce and a slice of your favorite cheese.
- To make this recipe quicker, use rotisserie chicken.
- Add in diced celery or apples for a bigger crunch.
- For the tastiest sandwich, toast your bread in a pan with a little butter instead of in the toaster.
- Use chopped pecans, almonds and even dried cranberries for added flavor.
- Make lettuce wraps with the chicken mixture for a healthy chicken salad wrap.
Chicken Salad Sandwich FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about chicken salad sandwiches.
What food goes well with chicken salad?
There are a variety of great options to pair with your chicken salad. With a recipe this versatile, so many different things work well.
- Green salad
- Fruit salad
- Potato chips
- Sweet potato chips
- Pita chips
- Cheese platter
- Macaroni salad
Can you add relish to chicken salad?
Absolutely. In fact, most recipes use relish.
Can you add hard boiled eggs to chicken salad?
Yes. This is another ingredient that is often included in chicken salad recipes.
Who invented chicken salad?
One of the first known American chicken salads was served in 1863 at a Rhode Island meat market called Town Meats. Liam Gray, the owner at the time, mixed leftover chicken with mayonnaise, tarragon, and grapes. The concoction became so popular that Gray converted his meat market into a delicatessen.
How long will chicken salad last in the fridge?
You can store it for up to 3 days in an air-tight container.
Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts Nutrition Facts
Chicken salad is the perfect compromise between great flavor and healthy food, in my opinion. While it’s made with mayonnaise, it’s also loaded with lean protein, fruit, vegetables, and nuts. It’s quite a well-rounded recipe that almost anyone can enjoy in moderation as part of a healthy diet.
Never store your completed sandwiches if possible. Only make as many as will be eaten during the meal. Instead, store the chicken salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and make the sandwiches when you’re ready to serve them.
Chicken Salad Sandwich Ingredients
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find everything you need at your local grocery store.
- Chicken breasts, boneless skinless, boiled and shredded
- Red seedless grapes
- Red onion
- Green onions
- Water chestnuts
- Chopped walnuts
- Apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper
- Deli swirl rye pumpernickel bread (or your favorite bread), toasted
- Optional: lettuce
Chicken Salad Sandwich Instructions
It only takes a couple of simple steps to make this recipe. You’ll be all done in a few minutes.
Step 1: Make the Chicken Salad
Combine the shredded chicken and mayonnaise in a large bowl and stir until combined. Then, add the grapes, red onions, green onions, water chestnuts, chopped walnuts, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Step 2: Make the Sandwiches
When ready to serve, toast your bread using the method of your choice. Then add as much chicken salad onto the toasted bread as you like. Top with lettuce, add the top slice of bread, and enjoy.
Try This Delicious Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe Today
Flavorful, easy-to-make chicken salad with grapes and walnuts topped with lettuce and sandwiched between two slices of hearty toasted bread? What’s not to love? Nothing, that’s what. If you love big, substantial sandwiches, then you’re going to love this recipe. Give it a try, and I know the ease and flavor will have you making it again and again.
Here are More Delicious Sandwich Recipes to Try
Chicken Sandwich – An absolutely delicious buttermilk chicken sandwich that is seasoned with the perfect amount of kick, served on a homemade bun, and topped with crispy lettuce and tomato. This is a Chick-Fil-A copycat that you can make right at home.
Club Sandwich – A recipe that is packed with turkey, ham, cheese, bacon, avocado, lettuce, and tomatoes. It’s the ultimate brunch sandwich, but is enjoyed all times of day.
Honey Butter Chicken Biscuits – Crispy fried chicken drizzled in honey butter and placed on a fluffy buttermilk biscuit. This is one recipe that the family will love.
And, try this Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich from Great Grub Delicious Treats. A quick and easy, light and crunchy, chicken salad that is piled high on buttery, flaky croissants.
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless, boiled and shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup red grapes, cut in half
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 5 ounce can water chestnuts, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 slices deli swirl rye pumpernickel bread, or your favorite bread
- Optional: lettuce
- In a large bowl, add shredded chicken and mayonnaise. Stir until combined.
- Next, add grapes, red onions, green onions, water chestnuts, chopped walnuts, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine, cover and place in the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.
- Add desired amount of chicken salad on 4 slices of toasted bread. Top with lettuce, add the other slice of bread to each sandwich and enjoy
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.