These buffalo chicken pinwheels are loaded with perfectly seasoned tender shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and Colby jack cheese all wrapped up in pizza dough, sliced and baked to golden perfection, then drizzled with ranch dressing.
Perfect for any particular occasion, these buffalo chicken pinwheels make an excellent appetizer or a nice quick lunch or afternoon snack. I like to make a few batches at once so I can have them available since it’s so easy to make these once you get started.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
A buffalo chicken pinwheel requires very little to make it what it needs to be, but you can enhance the flavor and the pleasure of this delicious meal by incorporating certain ingredients and methods into the start to finish process beginning with the ingredients you use. This recipe will not cause you to break the bank by buying the necessary ingredients. It’s also a very simple process that produced exceptional results. Here is everything to know in order to get these buffalo chicken pinwheels done right.
Why You’ll Love This Buffalo Chicken Pinwheel Recipe
- They are super easy to make and only take a few simple ingredients that are easily found at the local grocery store.
- They’re delicious and the combination of the seasoned chicken mixed with the buffalo sauce then baked in the pizza dough is simply irresistible.
- They are versatile and can be served as an appetizer, a main course or as a snack, and are great for parties and potlucks.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheel Ingredients
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a lean and protein-rich meat that is pan-fried, and shredded.
- Butter adds flavor and richness to the chicken and is used to fry the chicken breasts to golden perfection.
- Garlic salt adds a savory flavor to the chicken.
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning is a Cajun seasoning blend that adds a spicy and delicious flavor to the chicken.
- Black pepper adds a bit of heat to the chicken and enhances the flavor.
- Buffalo wing sauce is a hot sauce that enhances the flavor, and adds spice to the shredded chicken.
- Colby Jack cheddar cheese adds a creamy and flavorful texture to the pinwheels.
- Refrigerated pizza dough is an easy-to-use and convenient ingredient that makes these chicken pinwheels a breeze to make.
- Ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing are both popular dipping sauces that can be drizzled over the tops of the chicken pinwheels or used as a dipping sauce.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
This recipe is super easy to make and only takes a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat oven to 425° and lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Cooking the Chicken
In a large skillet or frying pan melt butter over medium heat. Season chicken breasts and add to pan. Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side until golden or until the internal temperature reaches 165° and then add the cooked chicken to a large bowl. Shred chicken with an eclectic mixer or two forks. Add buffalo sauce and stir until the chicken is coated well.
Step 3: Making the Pinwheels
Role out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface and spoon shredded chicken mixture over the rectangle shaped dough. Sprinkle with cheese and gently roll up into a tight log. Slice into 1-inch pieces with a serrated knife and place each pinwheel on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pizza dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Lastly, drizzle with dressing of your choice and enjoy.
What Goes in a Buffalo Chicken Pinwheel?
Obviously buffalo chicken. But there is more to it than that. Deliciously seasoned chicken breasts fried to golden perfection, shredded and mixed with buffalo sauce, along with Colby jack cheese is a definite must. Using the pizza dough takes these pinwheels to the next level. And, you’ll want to drizzle the pinwheels with ranch or blue cheese dressing just to round the whole thing out. The overall presentation of the pinwheels is far from perfect, and they are a bit messy but so worth it. On the whole, not a lot of ingredients or work is needed in preparing this incredible treat. This is something you’ll want to keep as a regular option for an afternoon snack, party platter, or quick lunch.
The Best Seasoning for Buffalo Chicken
A good buffalo chicken starts with the right seasoning. The three-step process is essential in preparing buffalo chicken pinwheels, just as it is with my other phenomenal fried chicken recipes. You technically could do this recipe with grilled chicken strips, but I find that shredding the chicken after it is seasoned and fried in butter is an excellent way to hold the flavors of the seasoning so that each bite contains a consistent amount of enhanced goodness. The secret to this delicious chicken is Slap Ya Mama seasoning which gives the chicken a kick even before a single drop of buffalo sauce is added.
Season, Fry and Assemble
This buffalo chicken pinwheel recipe is a streamlined process that makes these pinwheels super easy to make. All you need to do is season the chicken, fry it until golden, shred and add buffalo sauce. That’s all! The only thing that remains is rolling it up, slicing it into the right size pieces and baking to golden perfection. For the most part, it’s a throw-together meal. The only details you need to fuss over are what type of dressing you’ll want to top the pinwheels with.
This is one of many fairly simple pinwheel recipes, but there are a few things that you can do to change it up.
Instead of frying chicken you can use a rotisserie chicken or pre-shredded chicken, hot sauce, and cream cheese to create a sort of chicken mixture to spread on the pizza dough. You can even add some green onions to add some more flavor.
Try These Delicious Pinwheel Appetizers Today
These delicious buffalo chicken pinwheels are an easy and delicious appetizer or simple weeknight dinner recipe that can be on the table in a matter of minutes. Give these a try and I know you will want to make them over and over again.
More Appetizer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Buffalo Chicken Sliders – These are the perfect game day finger foods or make a fun dinner for the family. Loaded with crispy, zesty buffalo style fried chicken strips, topped with delicious mozzarella cheese, placed on Hawaiian rolls, and broiled to perfection.
Soft Pretzel Bites – Soft, salty, and chewy! The perfect snack for all occasions and pair perfectly dipped in mustard or cheese dip. Yum!
Barbecue Chicken Nuggets – Coated in a secret ingredient, these are crispy on the outside, yet tender on the inside and covered in barbecue sauce. Making this everyone’s favorite appetizer!
Pig Shots, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, is a popular appetizer recipe that is oven baked, is a great snack loaded with tons of flavor and is great for parties and even to serve as a side dish.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Preheat oven to 425° and lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
For the Buffalo Chicken
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts and add chicken to the pan.
- Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side until golden or when internal temperature reaches 165°
- Add chicken to a mixing bowl and shred with an electric hand mixer or with two forks.
- Stir buffalo sauce into chicken and stir until all chicken is coated well.
Making the Pinwheels
- Roll out pizza dough on a lightly floured surface and spoon shredded chicken mixture over the pizza dough. Repeat with the second pizza dough.
- Sprinkle with cheese and gently roll up the dough into a tight log.
- Slice into 1-inch pieces with a serrated knife and place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with dressing of your choice, and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.