This delicious and hearty beef stroganoff with flank steak is an easy weeknight dinner recipe to make. It’s super flavorful and the meat is so tender and delicious. The whole family will enjoy this scrumptious beef stroganoff recipe.
As a mom, I quickly learned that hearty meals that are super easy to make are the way to go. That’s especially true when your kids hit their teens and it seems to take truckloads of food to keep them satisfied. And of course, we can’t forget about their friends who come over the next day after school and raid the kitchen. That’s why this beef stroganoff recipe has been a staple in my home for years. I routinely make this dish because it’s so easy and delicious, and I can enjoy it for lunch and dinner the next day as well. I never get tired of it, and once you make it, you’ll understand why.
Beef Stroganoff with Flank Steak
This creamy, delicious recipe starts with thinly sliced flank steak. Then it’s seasoned to perfection and seared in a skillet, then cooked with mushrooms, garlic, and onion. I create a rich, creamy stroganoff sauce using creamed soup, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce for an extra bit of zing. Finally, I mix in egg noodles to complete the dish. When it’s all said and done, I have a delicious, rich, and creamy stroganoff that satisfies even the biggest eaters and is always welcomed at the table.
Why You’ll Love This Beef Stroganoff with Flank Steak
- It’s a delicious weeknight dinner that’s also perfect for dinner parties.
- It’s easy to make and uses simple ingredients that are easily found at the grocery store.
- And, it’s super flavorful with tender beef and the leftovers are just as good the next day for lunch or dinner.
- Don’t cook the onions and mushrooms on heat that’s too high. You want the onions translucent, browned.
- Be sure your flank steak is nice and thin. anything thicker than ¼-inch won’t cook properly as you sear it.
- Be careful to cook the egg noodles to just al dente. It’s very easy to overcook them.
- Also, be careful not to boil your stroganoff when the sour cream is added or it will curdle.
- You can make stroganoff with chicken or pork, and ground beef, as well.
- Full-fat Greek yogurt is the perfect substitute for sour cream.
- If you don’t like spicy food, omit the red pepper flakes.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff with Flank Steak
Beef stroganoff is synonymous with egg noodles, but you can use other things instead. Some great ideas to pair with it include:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted potatoes
- Baked potato
You can also serve stroganoff the traditional way over egg noodles and pair it with crusty bread or garlic bread along with a side salad.
What is beef stroganoff?
It’s a creamy beef dish of Russian origin that is made with sauteed beef and a creamy, sour cream-based sauce. It’s routinely made with onions and mushrooms, as well, and often served over egg noodles.
What cut of beef is best for beef stroganoff?
The best cut of beef for stroganoff is flank steak. When cut against the grain, it cooks up very tender. If you want to splurge, you can also use boneless ribeye, New York strip, rump, sirloin steak or round steaks.
Is flank steak tender?
It is when it’s cooked properly. When cooked to medium rare, it’s incredibly tender. If it’s overcooked, it becomes extremely tough.
Why do you cut flank steak against the grain?
Flank steak is the abdominal muscle of the cow, so it gets a lot of work. That means it can be tough. However, when you cut the steak against the grain, it shortens the muscle fibers making it less chewy. When you pair that with cooking it to medium rare, you end up with very tender meat.
What can I use to thicken sauce?
The most common ingredient to thicken sauce, especially in stews or recipes like stroganoff is flour. You can also use a slurry (equal parts water and flour) or cornstarch.
Does sour cream thicken beef stroganoff?
Sour cream does thicken beef stroganoff because it’s thicker than other liquids, but it doesn’t thicken it in the way that flour does.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Beef Stroganoff with Flank Steak
Store this in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze it in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
To reheat the stroganoff, place it in a saucepan, cover, and heat it over medium-low heat until heated through.
Beef Stroganoff with Flank Steak Ingredients
You’ll only need simple ingredients to make this delicious recipe. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Beef flank steak
- Vegetable oil
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Cloves garlic
- All purpose flour
- Beef stock
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sour cream
- Egg noodles
How to Make Beef Stroganoff with Flank Steak
This hearty recipe is ready in no time flat. In just a few simple steps, you’ll have a rich, hearty dinner on the table.
Step 1: Make the Noodles
Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions and set aside.
Step 2: Prep the Steak
Cut the flank steak, against the grain, into ¼-inch by 2-inch long thin slices and place them in a large bowl. Then sprinkle Slap Ya Mama, cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes over them and stir.
Step 3: Cook the Steak
Sear the flank steak on both sides in oil over high heat in a large skillet. Remove the beef and drain the liquid.
Step 4: Cook the Vegetables
Sauté the onions, mushrooms, and garlic in butter over medium heat until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are cooked. Then, add flour to the skillet, stir, and cook for 2 minutes.
Step 5: Make the Sauce
Add the beef broth, soup, and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet and stir. Next, add the steak back to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the sauce has thickened. Then, remove from the heat, add the sour cream, and stir to combine. Serve over egg noodles.
Try This Beef Stroganoff with Flank Steak Today
This delicious beef stroganoff is a hearty comfort food recipe with flank steak is rich, creamy, and loaded with flavor. It’s also very easy to make. You can’t beat a combo like that! Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll love it as much as my family and friends do.
More Delicious Beef Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Boneless Beef Ribs with Maple Brown Sugar – These ribs are deliciously seasoned, coated in a savory maple brown sugar sauce, and baked until tender and fall apart.
BBQ Meatloaf – This meatloaf recipe is easy to make and loaded with flavor from the seasoning and barbecue sauce.
Easy Beef Shoulder Roast with Vegetables – This hearty and delicious recipe is easy to make and sure to be enjoyed by the whole family.
And, here is a delicious Salisbury Steak recipe, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that you will enjoy as well.
- 3 pounds beef flank steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounce mushrooms sliced
- ⅓ cup flour
- 32 ounce beef broth
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounce pkg egg noodles
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cut flank steak into ¼" thick x 2" long slices, against the grain, and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with Slap Ya Mama, cumin, salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers, stir.
- In a large cast iron pan, or frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat.
- Sear beef on both sides then remove from pan. Drain any remaining liquid. Cook in batches, if necessary.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and sauté onions, mushrooms and garlic until onions are translucent and mushrooms are cooked.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, stir and cook for two minutes.
- Slowly pour beef broth into the pan stirring constantly for a minute or two.
- Next, add soup and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, then add beef back into the pan. Stir.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened, then remove from heat, add sour cream. Stir to combine and serve over cooked egg noodles.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.