This delicious BBQ Meatloaf recipe is the perfect comfort food recipe that is not only packed with flavor, especially from the barbecue sauce added into the ingredients, but the leftover meatloaf sandwiches are even more delicious.
I love comfort food and none of us can get over the flavors and the way these incredible dishes make us feel. One of my all-time favorite classic comfort foods is an old-fashioned meatloaf. We all have that perfect meatloaf that we remember from childhood. It’s just one of those dinners that takes us back to those simpler times.
On one hand, I can’t resist a traditional meatloaf, but on the other hand, I can’t hold back from changing things up just a bit. That’s where the barbecue part comes in and really steps everything up for me. It’s always tricky when you make comfort food because the recipes can be so personal. I find that altering a traditional flavor with something just slightly different can open up all kinds of doors to getting others to accept a dish when they already have such firmly held beliefs. This great tasting alternative to the classic version (usually made with ketchup) is just that kind of dish if you want to win somebody over.
Meatloaf with Barbecue Sauce
Yes. You heard me right. There aren’t too many things that can’t be made better with BBQ sauce. That’s just a fact. You can Google it, someone said it somewhere. Probably me, actually. But it’s true and whoever said it, I stand by it. BBQ meatloaf makes my point deliciously. It’s everything you love about really terrific meatloaf, but it has that little extra something special. BBQ meatloaf has its own BBQ glaze once it’s cooked and is destined to be a household favorite.
Why You’ll Love This BBQ Meatloaf Recipe
- BBQ meatloaf is a new twist on an old fave. It’s the original one-pot dinner. Just mix it, pan it and cook it up!
- It’s the perfect dinner recipe because it feeds a table and it’s fast and easy to make, which means you don’t have to do a ton of kitchen prep right after work.
- The comfort food element of this meatloaf holds firm while the added tang of the barbecue flavor perks up the classic dish with a whole new way to experience it!
Tips and Variations
Not all meatloaf must use the same meat! You can make a leaner and healthier version of this BBQ meatloaf just by using substitutions like ground turkey for the traditional beef. Also, you can use ground sausage which is already seasoned. The fattier content of ground sausage results in richer flavor, but may also be challenging to cook. Most recipes for ground sausage meatloaf call for a blend of ground beef and sausage.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about this BBQ Meatloaf recipe, then read on. The following FAQs answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Why does my meatloaf always fall apart?
A really important part of making BBQ meatloaf (or any other meatloaf for that matter) is the loaf part. You need a proper binder to help hold all the meat together. That’s the egg. However, there is more to it than that as Fred Decker at Leaf tv points out. He mentions myosins, which are proteins that tangle and network with each other when you knead the meat just enough to make it feel sticky to the touch. He also adds that seasoning it with salt brings out the myosin effect even more.
How can you tell if the meatloaf is done?
You can’t tell if meatloaf is done the way you can with a cake or even a loaf of bread, but the recipe here is a pretty good indicator of when your BBQ meatloaf will finish cooking. However, it’s always important when cooking meats to confirm the internal temperature. So make sure you have a thermometer handy to stick in the loaf when you take it out. You can also use a knife to see if it comes out clean.
What should the internal temperature of meatloaf be?
I was just going to tell you that! You want your meatloaf to reach a temperature of 160° F to be considered safe for consumption.
What to serve with bbq meatloaf?
Pickles make a great side, either as spears or even battered and fried. But nothing beats some home-cooked mashed potatoes, green beans. potato salad, macaroni salad just to name a few.
Can you freeze leftover meatloaf if you used frozen ground beef, to begin with?
Yes! Of course, you can! However, you will want to portion it out first so that you don’t have to thaw/reheat the whole thing the next time you take it out. On the other hand, you’ll most likely want to keep it just refrigerated since these make such amazing meatloaf sandwiches you will keep wanting to make more!
How to Store, Reheat and Freeze Leftover Meatloaf
If you freeze your leftover BBQ meatloaf, you should slice it up and seal the slices individually in aluminum foil or airtight freezer bags. If you just want to keep it in your refrigerator over the next few days you can keep it intact and store it in an airtight container. To reheat your portion of BBQ meatloaf, let it thaw in the refrigerator first for the best results, then you can heat it up in the microwave for about 45 seconds or until it reaches the desired temperature.
BBQ Meatloaf Ingredients
● Lean ground beef
● Onion powder
● Garlic salt
● Black pepper
● Barbecue sauce
● Large eggs
● French’s® crispy fried onions
● Yellow mustard
How to Make BBQ Meatloaf
● Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 7×11 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
● In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix together with clean hands, except ¼ cup of the barbecue sauce.
● Form meat mixture into an oblong loaf and place into prepared baking dish.
● Top meatloaf with remaining barbecue sauce, cover with foil and bake for 55-60 minutes.
● Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
● Carefully remove from the oven, slice, and enjoy with a side of mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable.
Try This Delicious BBQ Meatloaf Recipe Today
The best thing about great tasting BBQ meatloaf is that the odds are you have most of the ingredients in your kitchen right now. It’s not unlikely that you have everything you need. If not, it’s a simple fix with a quick trip to the store. This is the perfect dinner to make tonight, so give it a try!
More Delicious Ground Beef Recipes
Meatloaf Grilled Cheese – This grilled cheese is the perfect way to use up leftover meatloaf. A cheesy grilled cheese with a hearty slice of meatloaf, yum!
Ground Beef Pasta – This pasta dish is an incredibly easy and delicious pasta that is loaded with ground beef, cheese, spicy jalapeños, and a combination of cream cheese and sour cream.
Try these Cheesy Ground Beef Egg Rolls from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. They’re traditional egg roll recipe stuffed with seasoned ground beef and cheese and they make the best appetizers.
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a 7×11 baking dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and mix together with clean hands, except ¼ cup of the barbecue sauce.
- Form into an oblong loaf and place into prepared baking dish.
- Top meatloaf with remaining barbecue sauce, cover with foil and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Remove foil from the baking dish and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Carefully remove from oven, slice, and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are the perfect size for pinning to Pinterest.