These easy chocolate chip muffins are a quick and easy muffin recipe that is loaded with chocolate chips and baked to perfection. The moist muffin surrounding the melted chocolate chips is a chocolate lover’s dream.
I love making muffins. I’ve been making all kinds of them for years. They’re the perfect treat for a sweet breakfast, afternoon snack, or a welcome addition to any potluck. I mean, come on, everyone loves muffins! While I make all kinds of muffins, they generally start with the same basic batter. It uses sour cream to make muffins that are extra tender and moist – the most important part of any muffin if you ask me. From there, I can do just about anything I want with them. I’ve turned this batter into banana muffins and muffins loaded with all kinds of berries. There’s so much you can do with these! The best part is that the battler is so easy to make you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time flat!
Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins begin with what I consider to be the perfect muffin batter. It’s sweet, and it rises wonderfully. Thanks to the sour cream, it also makes for incredibly tender and moist muffins. From there, I load up this particular recipe with chocolate chips. Any kind work. I just use whatever strikes my fancy that day. After that, I bake them to golden perfection until I get muffins that are light, tender, moist, and full of delicious, melty chocolate chips!
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- They’re an easy and delicious muffin recipe loaded with chocolate chips.
- It only takes a few simple ingredients that are pantry staples or easily found at the grocery store.
- They’re the perfect grab-and-go muffin recipe for breakfast or afternoon snacking.
Chocolate Chip Muffins Tips and Variations
This recipe is so easy to make, but even so, I still have a couple of tips to help you make them the best they can possibly be. I also have some variations that you can try to switch things up if you like.
- Always let your eggs come to room temperature to help them incorporate better and keep the muffins fluffy and moist.
- Gently spoon your flour into your measuring cup rather than scooping directly from the container. Spoon the flour into the cup until it’s overflowing, then level it off with the flat of a knife. This ensures you don’t accidentally use too much flour.
- To keep your muffins tender, only mix the ingredients until they’re just combined. Overmixing can lead to tough muffins.
- For more protein and no change in flavor or texture, use full-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. They’re virtually the same.
- Add your favorite nuts for more flavor and some crunch.
- Try using different mix-ins like berries, diced apples, or your other favorite fruits.
- Add in white chocolate chips, mint chocolate chips, or semi-sweet chocolate chips for a different taste rendition.
- Bake these muffins in a mini muffin pan to create delicious mini muffins for the kids.
Baking Times for Muffins
Muffin bake times vary based on the kind of muffin and the temperature at which they’re baked. In general, muffins usually take anywhere from 15 to 22 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Muffins FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then you’ll find the answers here. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about muffins.
What is the secret to good muffins?
There are a few things to remember when making muffins to ensure they always come out amazing. The secret to good muffins is actually a few things.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine them. This prevents overmixing.
- Mix until the ingredients are just combined for the best muffins. The batter should be thick, lumpy, and floury.
- Always grease or line the pan so your muffins actually come out of the muffin pan!
- An ice cream scoop will help you get the batter from the bowl to the muffin tin without making a mess.
- Fill your cups about ¾ full so you get muffins with nice round tops.
- Let your muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing them. This helps keep them from falling apart.
What makes a muffin fluffy?
Using room temperature eggs, butter, and milk will form a smooth texture that traps air in the batter and expands more while baking, creating a fluffy muffin.
How long will muffins last?
Muffins will last anywhere from 2 to 7 days, depending on what ingredients are used. Muffins with berries only last for a couple of days, while muffins with dry mix-ins like these chocolate chip muffins will last for up to 7 days in an airtight container. No matter what kind of muffin you make, you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Can you freeze muffins?
You sure can. They’re perfectly delicious, and they freeze well for up to 3 months.
How do you thaw muffins?
It’s easy. Just leave them on the counter for a few hours or in the refrigerator overnight. That’s all there is to it!
How to Store Chocolate Chip Muffins
Place the muffins in an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 7 days. For longer storage, open-air freeze the muffins, then place them in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or a freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Chocolate Chip Muffins Ingredients
It only takes a few simple pantry staples to make these muffins Chances are you have them all in your kitchen right now!
- Sour cream
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- All-purpose flour
- Milk chocolate chips (can use mini chocolate chips)
- Coarse sugar for topping
How to Make Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins are super easy to make. It’s a simple matter of raiding your pantry and following a few steps.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Combine the Dry Ingredients
Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Combine the Wet Ingredients
Mix the melted butter, sugar, sour cream, egg, and vanilla together in a large bowl.
Step 4: Make the Batter
Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Then, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 5: Bake
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the tops of the muffins are golden.
Remove the muffins and let them cool for a couple of minutes in the pan. Then, transfer them to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!
Try These Chocolate Chip Muffins Today
These delicious, easy chocolate chip muffins are so good and so simple. The batter is simple and bakes up so moist and tender, and the chocolate chips are a classic addition. In just a few minutes, you’ll have delicious muffins that are perfect for a sweet breakfast, afternoon snack, or addition to any potluck. Give this recipe a try, and I know you’ll keep it in your recipe rotation forever!
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Apple Cream Cheese Puff Pastry – A light and fluffy puff pastry that is filled with a sweet cream cheese mixture, apple pie filling, and drizzled with a sweet glaze.
Raspberry Crepes – Light and airy crepes filled with homemade whipped cream and fresh raspberries. These are the perfect breakfast recipe for weekend mornings.
Peach Cream Cheese Danish – A flaky pastry filled with fresh peaches, sweet cream cheese, and a glaze.
And, try these Blueberry Muffins from Great Grub, Delicious Treats. These delicious muffins are made with fresh blueberries, lemon zest, and homemade streusel topping.
Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- Coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, sugar, sour cream, and egg together until combined.
- Stir in flour mixture and then fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon muffin batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle coarse sugar on each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the tops are golden.
- Carefully remove from the oven and let sit for a couple minutes then transfer to a baking rack to cool.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.