Chili Dog Sliders are a fun, delicious, and easy recipe that makes a great appetizer for parties, get-togethers, and game day, and is great for kid’s parties. They can also be the main course for an easy weeknight dinner.
When summer rolls around, I find myself drawn to certain foods. I frequently make dishes like sliders, chili dogs, mac and cheese, coleslaw, and all our other favorite cookout foods throughout the warm months. I don’t wait for cookouts, though! I’ll make them for dinner just to do something a little different after a winter of soups, stews, chilis, and other cold-weather food. Two of my favorite foods to make during the summer are sliders and chili dogs, especially if I’m having company over. There’s just nothing like them in my opinion. That’s why I decided to combine them into these chili dog sliders. They’re the best of both delicious worlds!
Chili Dog Sliders
These sliders combine two classic foods into one super recipe that is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. Toasted slider buns are topped with grilled hot dogs, chili, sharp cheddar cheese, and white onions to create a delicious slider absolutely stuffed with everything that makes chili dogs great. What you end up with is all the flavor of chili dogs with that toasty, delicious bun we all love on sliders. They’re a unique way to enjoy two great tastes that absolutely taste great together. The best part is that you can actually grill them on your gill or “grill” them in a frying pan inside.
Why You’ll Love These Chili Dog Sliders
- They’re easy to make and only take a few simple ingredients.
- They’re a great appetizer for game day, parties, backyard BBQs, summer cookouts, and even for a fun dinner.
- Kids absolutely love them, making them great for birthdays and other kid parties.
- They are absolutely delicious, and people ask for them again and again.
Chili Dog Sliders Tips and Variations
This is a very simple recipe, but I have a couple of tips to ensure you have no issues. I also have some great variations to try.&
- Use bun-length hot dogs to make it easier to form the hot dog circle for the sliders.
- Be sure you don’t cut all the way through the hot dogs when slicing them. You need cuts deep enough for you to form the circle but not so deep that the hot dogs break.
- Use any brand of hot dog that you really love. Everything works!
- Switch out the chili for baked beans for something a little different.
- Make your own chili if you like.
What Pairs Well with Chili Dog Sliders?
These sliders are basically just a variation of chili cheese dogs, which means that anything you’d serve with chili dogs will go perfectly with these sliders. Some great ideas include:
- Mac and cheese
- Pasta salad
- Baked beans
- Potato salad
- French fries
- Sweet potato fries
Chili Dog Sliders FAQ
If you have questions about this recipe, then I have the answers for you. The following FAQ answers the most frequently asked questions about these chili dog sliders.
What is a hot dog slider?
A hot dog slider consists of a hot dog that is sliced along one side to enable it to be bent into a circle, then grilled. Then, it’s placed on the slider bun and topped with your favorite hot dog toppings.
What toppings go on a chili dog?
Any of the following are delicious on chili dogs.
- Pickled or fresh jalapenos
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced red or white onions
- Diced green onions
- Nacho cheese
- Diced dill or sweet pickles
- Crumbled crispy bacon
What is the most popular hot dog brand?
Ball Park franks are consistently the most purchased hot dogs in America. Food reviewers have bashed them, calling them rubbery or mushy, but apparently consumers have a different take on things.
What kind of chili is best for chili dogs?
Any chili will serve you well with chili dogs. However, there are five brands that are consistently rated the highest for their flavor on chili dogs.
- Hormel Chili with No Beans
- Chilli Man Canned Chili with Beans
- Armour Hot Dog Chili Sauce
- Stagg Silverado Beef Chili with Beans
- Castleberry’s Hot Dog Chili Sauce
What is the best tasting hot dog?
Nathan’s Angus Beef Franks are rated as the best-tasting hot dog. They are often described as well-balanced.
Can chili dog sliders be made in advance?
I don’t recommend constructing them in advance. These aren’t baked like some other slider recipes are. These are made straight off the grill, so they’re best served immediately.
How to Store and Reheat Chili Hot Dog Sliders
While these sliders are absolutely more delicious when they’re fresh, you can store them for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. To reheat them, place them in a baking dish and bake in the oven at 350 for about 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
Chili Dog Sliders Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this recipe. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Hot dogs, bun length
- Slider buns
- Chili with beans
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- White onions, diced
How to Make Chili Dog Sliders
It only takes a few simple steps and a few minutes to make these sliders.
Step 1: Prep the Hot Dogs
Make small ¼-inch cuts into one side of the hot dog. Be careful not to slice all the way through them. Then, secure the ends of each hot dog with a tooth pick to form a circle.
Step 2: Heat the Chili
In a small saucepan, heat the chili over medium-high heat.
Step 3: Toast the Buns
Spread mayonnaise on the inside of the top and bottom of each slider bun. Then, grill them on a frying pan over medium heat until golden.
Step 4: Grill the Hot Dogs
Place the prepared hot dogs in a pan and grill until done.
Step 5: Assemble the Sliders
Add the hot dogs to the bottom of each bun followed by a heaping tablespoon of chili. Then, top with cheese and diced onions, followed by the top bun.
Or, Step 6: Grilling Everything on the Grill
Prepare the sliders as listed above, but use your grill. Place the saucepan on the grill to heat the chili, grill the hot dogs, and toast the buns directly on the grill.
Try These Delicious Chili Cheese Dog Sliders Today
These chili dog sliders are so easy, delicious, and versatile. They’re the perfect appetizer or fun family meal. The great thing about them is that you can cook them in a pan or outside on the grill. Both methods work well and produce delicious results. Whether you want to grill for dinner, host a backyard BBQ, or bring something unique to parties, there’s never a wrong time to make this delicious recipe. Give it a try, and I know you’ll love it as much as I do.
More Delicious Sliders Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sliders – The perfect slider recipe for the summertime! These sliders are topped with shredded BBQ chicken and a homemade pineapple coleslaw.
Buffalo Chicken Sliders – An easy and delicious slider recipe made with crispy chicken, zesty buffalo sauce, and provolone, all stacked high on Hawaiian rolls.
Crock Pot Crack Chicken Sliders – Tender shredded chicken, ranch seasoning, cream cheese, and bacon, these sliders are packed full of flavor and are super easy to make.
And, here are some Pepperoni Sausage Pizza Sliders, from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that you might enjoy as well. These sliders are perfect to make as appetizers, a snack, and a meal that the kids will love.
Chili Dog Sliders
- 8 hot dogs, bun length
- 8 slider buns
- 19 ounce can chili with beans
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup white onions, diced
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- Start out by making small cuts into the hot dog about ¼ inch between each cut, but DO NOT cut all the way through.
- Using a toothpick, secure the ends of each hot dog to form a circle.
- In a small saucepan, heat chili over medium heat.
- Spread mayonnaise on the inside of the top and bottom of each slider bun.
- Place in a frying pan and grill over medium heat until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Grill hot dogs until done.
- Add hot dog to the bottom bun followed by a heaping tablespoon of chili.
- Top with cheese, diced onions and the top bun, then enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.