This cheesy sausage and rice casserole is a delicious casserole made with smoked sausage in a creamy sauce with fluffy rice and sharp cheddar cheese. A delicious comfort food recipe that is easy to make and makes a delicious side or main dish.
Casseroles are the ultimate family meal or potluck addition. Over the years, I’ve probably made thousands of them. Between getting an easy dinner on the table or bringing something to a get-together, I’ve made more casseroles than I can count. They’re just so delicious and so easy, I find myself choosing to make them for almost any occasion. When my kids were at home, I made them almost weekly, and now that they’re grown, I still make them quite often. My motto is that if you can make something into a casserole, you absolutely should, and this delicious, beefy casserole is the perfect example of that.
Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole
This delicious casserole is loaded with sausage, rice, onions, cream soup, and zesty Slap Ya Mama seasoning. Every bite is full of delicious sausage, perfectly cooked rice, and melty sharp cheddar cheese. It’s the perfect family meal or potluck addition that everyone always loves. It’s also incredibly easy to make, which is a huge bonus. With this casserole, you can feed a crowd, and you can also be in and out of the kitchen relatively quickly.
Why You’ll Love This Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole
- It only takes a few simple ingredients, and it’s so easy to make.
- It’s loaded with smoky sausage flavor and cheese.
- It’s a hearty, delicious favorite that’s always a crowd-pleaser.
Sausage and Rice Casserole Tips and Variations
I have a couple of tips to help you make this casserole the best that it can possibly be. I also have some variations that you can try when you want to switch things up.
- Always spray your dish with nonstick spray to ensure everything comes out of the dish nicely.
- Be sure you cut your sausage into bite-size pieces. Don’t cut them too large.
- Use your favorite cheese. Cheddar blends work best in my opinion.
- You can use any kind of summer sausage you like for this recipe. You’ll find them in all kinds of flavors and variations. Turkey sausage and chicken sausage also work well in this recipe
- Try adding your favorite vegetables to the casserole. Green and red bell peppers are great for additional flavor.
What to Serve with Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole
Almost anything goes with this recipe. If you’re making this casserole for dinner, I recommend serving it with just salad and some bread. It’s so hearty, anything else would be overkill. If you’re bringing this to a potluck, you’ll never have to worry that it will be out of place. Just about all your potluck favorites pair very well with this recipe.
- Baked beans
- Mac and cheese
- Side salad
Sausage and Rice Casserole FAQ
If you have questions about this sausage and rice casserole, then read on. The following FAQ answers the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
What is a casserole?
A casserole is any dish that’s cooked in the oven in a single dish. Casseroles can be cooked in baking dishes from start to finish or begun in a pan on the stove and then baked in the pan to finish it off. Fun fact – technically speaking, lasagna is a casserole.
Do you have to brown the smoked sausage?
I brown any sausage I use for this recipe, but technically speaking, you don’t always have to. Check the sausage container. If it says it’s fully cooked, then you don’t have to brown it. Bear in mind that browning makes it taste better, though.
Can you freeze sausage and rice casserole?
Absolutely! All the ingredients in this recipe freeze very well.
How long will this last in the fridge?
This casserole will keep for up to 5 days in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
How to Store and Reheat Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole
Store your casserole in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For longer storage, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Place the casserole in an air-tight, freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bag.
To reheat, place the casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees until heated through.
Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole Ingredients
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make this dish. You’ll find them all easily at your local grocery store.
- Smoked sausage or Kielbasa sausage
- Yellow onion
- Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup
- Chicken broth
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Cooked white rice
How to Make Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole
It only takes a few minutes and a few simple steps to make this easy, delicious recipe.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 7×11 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Step 2: Cook the Sausage
Add water and sausage to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then, cook until the sausage is brown on both sides and the water is absorbed. Then, add the onions to the skillet and continue to cook until the onions are tender. Sprinkle with the seasonings and pepper, and stir to combine.
Step 3: Add the Remaining Ingredients
Pour the soup, chicken broth, and milk to the skillet. Stir and cook over medium heat. Then, bring to a slow boil and add 2 cups of cheese and stir. Add the cooked rice to the pan, stir, and pour the entire mixture into the baking dish.
Step 4: Bake
Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese and cover with foil. Then, bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Try This Delicious Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole Today
This cheesy sausage and rice casserole is loaded with flavor and incredibly easy to make. It’s the perfect combination! Whether you need an easy recipe to feed the family for a couple of days or something tasty for that upcoming potluck, this recipe is always the right choice. Give this one a try, and I know it will become a regular part of your recipe rotation.
More Delicious Dinner Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole – An easy weeknight chicken enchilada dinner recipe loaded with deliciously seasoned chicken, lots of cheese, corn tortillas, and more, and baked until hot and bubbly.
Homemade Lasagna – This lasagna recipe is a family favorite comfort food recipe that is easy to make and always a favorite. And, the leftovers are just as good as the day it was made.
Easy One Pot Goulash – An easy and delicious, quick one pot dinner recipe loaded with deliciously seasoned ground beef, pasta, cheese and more. Hearty and a favorite goulash recipe the whole family will enjoy.
And, this Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole from Great Grub, Delicious Treats, that you will enjoy as well.
Cheesy Sausage and Rice Casserole
- 1 pound smoked sausage sliced then cut each slice into 4 pieces
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 7×11 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add water and sausage.
- Cook until sausage is brown on both sides and water is absorbed (add additional water, if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time).
- Add onions to the skillet and continue to cook until onions are tender.
- Sprinkle with seasoning, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Pour soup, chicken broth and milk into skillet, stir and cook over medium heat. Bring to a slow boil then add 2 cups of cheese into sausage mixture, stir.
- Add cooked rice into pan, stir and then pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Carefully remove from oven and enjoy.
Here are a few pics that are perfect to save to your favorite Pinterest boards on Pinterest. Also, you can follow us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. Remember to “like” or “follow” us on all social media.